Notices
991 | 997 | 996 Turbo Porsche's Modern Day Twin Turbo Discussion Forum.

winter tires/spare tire

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 08:55 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
mongoman is a jewel in the roughmongoman is a jewel in the roughmongoman is a jewel in the roughmongoman is a jewel in the roughmongoman is a jewel in the roughmongoman is a jewel in the roughmongoman is a jewel in the roughmongoman is a jewel in the roughmongoman is a jewel in the roughmongoman is a jewel in the roughmongoman is a jewel in the rough
winter tires/spare tire

I was raking my 997.2TTS for a cruise down by Taos this weekend and kept thinking I would be screwed if a had a major tire cut and I was out where I couldn't get a cell signal. Consequently, I have been considering several options and would appreciate some feedback. Since I don't carry kids in the back seat, I been thinking about just removing it (I'm told that's really easy) and putting a spare back there (with some means to secure it). If they made a center lock spare, I would just do that and keep it in the trunk. So anyway, I'm trying to decide between getting a front wheel and tire, or getting a set of winter tires and using one as a spare (winter in summer, summer in winter). Do many turbo drivers use their cars in the snow with winter tires? How do the factory winter tires perform in the snow? Thanks for your input.

Old 09-27-2010, 07:26 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
GoFastKindaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeGoFastKindaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeGoFastKindaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeGoFastKindaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeGoFastKindaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeGoFastKindaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeGoFastKindaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeGoFastKindaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeGoFastKindaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeGoFastKindaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeGoFastKindaGuy has a reputation beyond repute
I have winter wheels and tires for my 2001 Turbo - but not factory. I narrowed up the rear wheels and use a spacer set to get the placement right. The narrower wheel gives greater contact pressure for snow traction. Set up with Blizzaks, this works well.

I have not worked out what to do with my 2011 Turbo S - other than park it. An issue is the center lock torque. Plan on packing a big wrench or a torque multiplier.

Also, I was warned by the dealer of my long-gone C4 not to mix tires as slightly different diameters could lead to premature wear or failure on the 4-wheel drivetrain. (I have a hard time believing him.) That may be a concern of the winter/summer mix for the spare. Might want to research further.

Last edited by GoFastKindaGuy; 09-27-2010 at 07:28 PM.