Notices
The Team Speed Shooting Range The Guns, Ammunition, and General Personal Protection Discussion Forum.

I have settled on my carry weapon S&W J-Frame .38

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 01:55 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
StealthPilot You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!StealthPilot You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!StealthPilot You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!StealthPilot You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!StealthPilot You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!StealthPilot You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!StealthPilot You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!StealthPilot You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!StealthPilot You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!StealthPilot You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!StealthPilot You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Originally Posted by 81911
Stelthpilot, if you're pulling out a gun you shoot to kill. Period. This isn't the movies were criminals just give up. And you still won't use that damn laser anyway.
I think the combination of a 40mm Glock with laser sight gives you much better chance of killing the guy than the revolver you posted. The Glock is a more accurate gun and semi automatics are better for pumping several rounds into the crim.

Old 08-20-2012, 03:17 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
b9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by StealthPilot
I think the combination of a 40mm Glock with laser sight gives you much better chance of killing the guy than the revolver you posted. The Glock is a more accurate gun and semi automatics are better for pumping several rounds into the crim.
No Glock is as concealable as that revolver and any laser system adds size to a weapon. If he wants a laser sight on his revolver, I am sure that Crimson Trace makes grips for that model of S&W. As far as accuracy, it is all about practice with any gun.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:24 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of
Shot placement is the key here Stelthpilot. A.357 will do the job as well as a.38 special. Most attacks will be close enough to wear a snub nose will be fine. You're not shooting 25 yards out. And again with the laser, you will not use that in a self defense situation. You won't think about anything but being scared for your life and stopping the threat, not an accessory or aiming with a laser.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:06 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
falb has a reputation beyond reputefalb has a reputation beyond reputefalb has a reputation beyond reputefalb has a reputation beyond reputefalb has a reputation beyond reputefalb has a reputation beyond reputefalb has a reputation beyond reputefalb has a reputation beyond reputefalb has a reputation beyond reputefalb has a reputation beyond reputefalb has a reputation beyond repute
Nice choice. Comfy, light, reliable, safe, goes bang, not too expensive.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:50 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Dr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond repute
One suggestion is try it out first. Personally I dislike shooting my J frames, the Airweight in particular. I much prefer a single stack semi for concealed carry and find them much more fun to shoot. Whatever you choose you'll want to shoot a lot to get very comfortable with it.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:13 PM
Neg Rep Zen Master
Marc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Dr. T
One suggestion is try it out first. Personally I dislike shooting my J frames, the Airweight in particular. I much prefer a single stack semi for concealed carry and find them much more fun to shoot. Whatever you choose you'll want to shoot a lot to get very comfortable with it.
The Airweight with any hot rounds sucks to shoot, I sold mine a while back.

Old 08-22-2012, 02:52 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
b9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond repute
Lightweight revolvers are a little bit punishing to shoot while practicing but they are so light and small they are very convenient for carry. Like Dr.T, I carry a single stack semi (mine is a 1911) for concealed carry. However, I am going to be picking up a Ruger LCR which is very similar to the Airweight S&Ws for my wife to carry when she is running.

Old 08-22-2012, 04:35 PM
twi
Teamspeed Junior Member
twi has a spectacular aura abouttwi has a spectacular aura abouttwi has a spectacular aura abouttwi has a spectacular aura abouttwi has a spectacular aura abouttwi has a spectacular aura abouttwi has a spectacular aura abouttwi has a spectacular aura abouttwi has a spectacular aura abouttwi has a spectacular aura abouttwi has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Marc
The Airweight with any hot rounds sucks to shoot, I sold mine a while back.
Agreed. I have not owned one, but a buddy does and he brought it to the range. I could never get very accurate at more than 10 yards. Conventional wisdom will say that you probably should not be shooting over 10 yards with a carry weapon, but it rattled my confidence. I am much better with a small auto (my preference is the Kahr CM9, but the LCR/LC9 is a good choice as well) and since confidence is so important, that is what I carry when I carry.

Old 08-22-2012, 05:02 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Dr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by b9ev
Lightweight revolvers are a little bit punishing to shoot while practicing but they are so light and small they are very convenient for carry. Like Dr.T, I carry a single stack semi (mine is a 1911) for concealed carry. However, I am going to be picking up a Ruger LCR which is very similar to the Airweight S&Ws for my wife to carry when she is running.
Have your wife try out an LCP or Sig P238. My wife is very proficient with both and carries while running.......she hates her Airweight.

Old 08-22-2012, 05:51 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
zotbot will become famous soon enoughzotbot will become famous soon enoughzotbot will become famous soon enoughzotbot will become famous soon enoughzotbot will become famous soon enoughzotbot will become famous soon enoughzotbot will become famous soon enough
>S&W Airweight J-Frame .38

Excellent choice!

>I am much better with a small auto (my preference is the Kahr CM9,

Another excellent suggestion!

My 2 cents:
For anyone considering a 1911, make sure you also try a Glock 36.

Quick Reply: I have settled on my carry weapon S&W J-Frame .38