Notices
The Team Speed Shooting Range The Guns, Ammunition, and General Personal Protection Discussion Forum.

Personal Protection Recommendation?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 08:04 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
BDSK You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!BDSK You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!BDSK You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!BDSK You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!BDSK You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!BDSK You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!BDSK You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!BDSK You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!BDSK You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!BDSK You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!BDSK You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
Personal Protection Recommendation?

Class A CCW. First time owner with no firearms experience and live in a large metropolitan city. Will of course complete all safety and introductory courses necessary. Any advice/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-28-2012, 08:08 PM
ECB
Teamspeed Pro
ECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond repute
H&K USP is my vote

Old 04-28-2012, 08:08 PM
contract neg repper for hire
mafishman1 has a reputation beyond reputemafishman1 has a reputation beyond reputemafishman1 has a reputation beyond reputemafishman1 has a reputation beyond reputemafishman1 has a reputation beyond reputemafishman1 has a reputation beyond reputemafishman1 has a reputation beyond reputemafishman1 has a reputation beyond reputemafishman1 has a reputation beyond reputemafishman1 has a reputation beyond reputemafishman1 has a reputation beyond repute
I think a .50 cal rifle would do the trick.

Edit: Ok I'm actually interested too. I want to do something similar and buy my first firearm this year too. But I plan on getting an AR for fun.

Last edited by mafishman1; 04-28-2012 at 08:09 PM.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:17 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
b9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond repute
The USP is nice, classic, and reliable. If you are going with HK, I recommend trying the HK45 (my mom carries one) or the P30 (my only 9mm is a P30L). My mom's HK45 shoots smoother than my USP 45 and is a bit more ergonomical. The USP has a huge grip on it.

I am not a Glock guy at all but I did recommend one to my youngest brother in law as a first gun to use for self defense.

Old 04-28-2012, 08:21 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
BDSK You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!BDSK You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!BDSK You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!BDSK You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!BDSK You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!BDSK You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!BDSK You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!BDSK You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!BDSK You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!BDSK You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!BDSK You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
Would help greatly if one could expand in explanation besides just a specific company/product in regards to Revolver vs. Semi Auto Pistol and or any other type of handgun that they would recommend for a first time user. Thank you.

Old 04-28-2012, 08:29 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of

Last edited by 81911; 06-17-2012 at 11:27 AM.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:32 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Originally Posted by 81911
I have and carry both, semi and revolvers. Best way to find out what is right for you is to find a local range and rent some. Shoot a few different guns and calibers and find what fits you. I mostly carry a .40 Sig Sauer. Everybody's hands like something different so you need to handle a few different ones before purchasing.
Figured so. Thank you.

Old 04-28-2012, 08:33 PM
Teamspeed Pro
slord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond repute
The best gun is the one that you are comfortable with and know how to use. Make a broad list, hit the ranges and start firing. Narrow it down to the ones you like and go from there. A higher calibre gun does nothing for you if you can't control it.

edit:81911 beat me to it.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:35 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Originally Posted by slord
A higher calibre gun does nothing for you if you can't control it.
Understood. Thanks!

Old 04-29-2012, 01:19 PM
Neg Rep Zen Master
Marc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ECB
H&K USP is my vote

Thats what I have USP Compact Tactical .45, if not a Glock always does the trick.

Quick Reply: Personal Protection Recommendation?