Notices
The Team Speed Shooting Range The Guns, Ammunition, and General Personal Protection Discussion Forum.

Personal Protection Recommendation?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 02:30 PM
Teamspeed Pro
ajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond repute
Good on you for recognizing your lack of experience with firearms. In this regard, slord's recommendation is important, as you need to learn which types of guns and calibers you're comfortable with as you learn to shoot. Many gun ranges and even manufacturers sponsor shooting courses as well as tactical, defensive shooting and situational courses. Some of these courses are better than others, and many of the "experts" tend to have strong opinions on everything from shooting technique to weapon of choice- don't take any of them at face value. Soldiers and civilian LE need to learn specific weapons, but private citizens have far more leeway.

As a matter of convenience, I usually choose guns in common calibers because ammunition is easier to find and better priced. Most guns are well-made, and a $5,000 rare 1911 won't protect you better than a $650 Glock, but sticking with known good brands isn't a bad idea. Lastly, gun care is very important- learn how to keep your guns clean and well-lubricated. Don't use second-rate ammunition for personal defense, either.

The "best" weapon depends on your skill set as well as where you're shooting. Everything penetrates drywall, so in your home the direction of your potential firing is possibly more important than your weapon choice. If you have a friend who's a police officer or former soldier, he could probably help you pinpoint the most defensible positions within your home. The police officer could even help you with some ideas to make your home less attractive to criminals; the best scenario is to never have to shoot anyone.

Old 04-29-2012, 06:04 PM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
Personally I believe a Glock 19 is the best piece you can carry if your life really depends on it. Light, no sharp edges, no safeties to mess with, plenty of capacity, etc. The only option you need are night sights - not just for low light, but they're made out of metal vs. stock plastic. As for the .40 vs. 9mm discussion, I have two words for you: shot placement.

Old 04-29-2012, 06:47 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
BDSK You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!BDSK You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!BDSK You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!BDSK You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!BDSK You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!BDSK You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!BDSK You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!BDSK You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!BDSK You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!BDSK You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!BDSK You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
Thanks ajindfw and Chris, appreciate the helpful responses.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:03 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
ctzn You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ctzn You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ctzn You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ctzn You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ctzn You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ctzn You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ctzn You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ctzn You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ctzn You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ctzn You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ctzn You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
M&P .40 carries this duty in my home, but I have a Glock 17 (9mm) as well. My placement with the M&P is a little better, plus it has night sights so thats the one near our bed. The biggest help though, I'm at the range 3 or 4 times a month building confidence. If I didn't think I could use it effectively, I wouldn't own one.

My biggest concern, we share a couple walls with neighbors and I would hate to send a round through my target and then through a wall. I've got hollow tips, but within 15 ft I'd like to know how far they will travel after hitting a target.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:30 PM
Teamspeed Pro
ajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
Personally I believe a Glock 19 is the best piece you can carry if your life really depends on it. Light, no sharp edges, no safeties to mess with, plenty of capacity, etc. The only option you need are night sights - not just for low light, but they're made out of metal vs. stock plastic. As for the .40 vs. 9mm discussion, I have two words for you: shot placement.
Love my Glocks. Have a 17, 21 and 30.

I agree 100% regarding caliber choices for anything 9x19 or bigger. Most data on shootings shows far lower one shot stop with .380 and lighter rounds. Once you get down to .25ACP you're under 50% one shot stop efficiency. Someone like you whose seen combat is far more likely to stay composed enough under the duress of an armed encounter to be able to pull off a cranial or left ventricle shot or grouping than most of us mere mortals. For us, we're probably better off with 9x19 or bigger unless we're plinking zombies, in which case a .22LR target pistol would be lots of fun.

Only other consideration would be who you are and who you're likely to encounter. More sophisticated criminals are more frequently showing up with non-plate body armor; in this case you'll need 5.7x28, .357Sig, 10mm or a rifle round pistol to penetrate their body armor. Of course carrying these ballistically hot rounds in a civilian environment opens its own can of worms.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:39 PM
Teamspeed Pro
TeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond repute
Does anyone use a shotgun for home defense vs pistol. Seems it would have more stopping power.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:56 PM
Neg Rep Zen Master
Marc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TeutonicCarFan
Does anyone use a shotgun for home defense vs pistol. Seems it would have more stopping power.
I have at one time, but if you read the debates 5.56 is better and less messy. I only use .45 these days lots of stopping power and not high rate of speed.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:59 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
BDSK You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!BDSK You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!BDSK You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!BDSK You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!BDSK You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!BDSK You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!BDSK You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!BDSK You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!BDSK You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!BDSK You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!BDSK You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
Originally Posted by ajindfw
Love my Glocks. Have a 17, 21 and 30.

I agree 100% regarding caliber choices for anything 9x19 or bigger. Most data on shootings shows far lower one shot stop with .380 and lighter rounds. Once you get down to .25ACP you're under 50% one shot stop efficiency. Someone like you whose seen combat is far more likely to stay composed enough under the duress of an armed encounter to be able to pull off a cranial or left ventricle shot or grouping than most of us mere mortals. For us, we're probably better off with 9x19 or bigger unless we're plinking zombies, in which case a .22LR target pistol would be lots of fun.

Only other consideration would be who you are and who you're likely to encounter. More sophisticated criminals are more frequently showing up with non-plate body armor; in this case you'll need 5.7x28, .357Sig, 10mm or a rifle round pistol to penetrate their body armor. Of course carrying these ballistically hot rounds in a civilian environment opens its own can of worms.
Thanks for the clarification regarding calibers. This would be for personal carry on the street, in my office, in the car, and at home.

Old 05-02-2012, 02:16 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
crazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TeutonicCarFan
I am a firm believer in 45 ACP for carry. I think a 1911 is a great choice if it feels comfortable to you. The single stack magazine design makes it easy to conceal. Also, I have never heard of a personal defense situation that required more than the 8 round capacity of a 1911.

I have two long guns that I am equally comfortable with for home defense. I have a Remington 870 loaded with 1 5/8 oz. #4 shot and a 10.5" AR-15 chambered in 300 Blackout (basically a 7.62 bullet in a 5.56 casing) with 125gr rounds.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:27 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
b9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by crazy1323
I am a firm believer in 45 ACP for carry. I think a 1911 is a great choice if it feels comfortable to you. The single stack magazine design makes it easy to conceal. Also, I have never heard of a personal defense situation that required more than the 8 round capacity of a 1911.

I have two long guns that I am equally comfortable with for home defense. I have a Remington 870 loaded with 1 5/8 oz. #4 shot and a 10.5" AR-15 chambered in 300 Blackout (basically a 7.62 bullet in a 5.56 casing) with 125gr rounds.
My daily carry is a 1911 as well. However, for a first time gun owner to learn to strip and clean, the 1911 is a lot more complex than a Glock.

Quick Reply: Personal Protection Recommendation?