Notices
The Team Speed Shooting Range The Guns, Ammunition, and General Personal Protection Discussion Forum.

Looking for a good 22 rifle for my son

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011 | 05:21 PM
Teamspeed Pro
POWERHOUSE has a reputation beyond reputePOWERHOUSE has a reputation beyond reputePOWERHOUSE has a reputation beyond reputePOWERHOUSE has a reputation beyond reputePOWERHOUSE has a reputation beyond reputePOWERHOUSE has a reputation beyond reputePOWERHOUSE has a reputation beyond reputePOWERHOUSE has a reputation beyond reputePOWERHOUSE has a reputation beyond reputePOWERHOUSE has a reputation beyond reputePOWERHOUSE has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by BuzzedHornet
It was tons of fun to shoot. It wouldn't surprise me at all if I decided to buy two at the same time.

What should I plan on buying with the gun? I will buy a trigger lock, extra mag or two...what kind of case should I consider? What about cleaning the gun? Is that easy to learn from online or the directions with a cleaning kit? If all we do it shoot at a local range, what is the best ammo to buy? How long does it last? If I find a great cheap buy on it, should I buy a shit load or does it go bad after time?
Originally Posted by Curvejunkie
Yes, to the gun lock, yes, to the extra mag.

Any good case will work, doesnt have to be super expensive or "tacticool". I have always used my manual to learn to clean my rifles, long before there was the "online". Buy a good cleaning kit and supplies, proper maintenance is just as important to learn.

Ammo? For that rifle? I have shot every known type from the absolute cheapest to the super expensive, and meh. Its a .22 for the range. Buy a box of 500 and have fun. No, it doesnt go bad..... (can you tell i cant figure out how to multiquote???? )
^ And buy the trigger lock and teach him to respect guns at a young age. Case is personal preference. A few extra magazines because it sucks reloading at the range. General maintenance is what it needs...It is like a car, the better you maintain it the longer it will run.

This is also a good place to start..
10/22 & 22 Caliber Rifles - AR15.COM

Old 07-15-2011 | 05:43 PM
JCL
Teamspeed Junior Member
JCL has a reputation beyond reputeJCL has a reputation beyond reputeJCL has a reputation beyond reputeJCL has a reputation beyond reputeJCL has a reputation beyond reputeJCL has a reputation beyond reputeJCL has a reputation beyond reputeJCL has a reputation beyond reputeJCL has a reputation beyond reputeJCL has a reputation beyond reputeJCL has a reputation beyond repute
This is a great entry level 22 plus the lever action 22 are cool.
36596 - Henry Repeating Arms Model H001 Lever Action Rimfire Rifle .22 Long Rifle 18.25" Barrel 15 Rounds Walnut Stock Blued Finish

Personally i would get him something with some knockdown power to tech him that guns are dangerous and will kill. Bolt action 243 is the perfect north american hunting round with little recoil and will be able to stay with him forever.

Old 07-31-2011 | 12:17 PM
Teamspeed Member
theritz226 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!theritz226 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!theritz226 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!theritz226 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!theritz226 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!theritz226 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!theritz226 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!theritz226 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!theritz226 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!theritz226 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!theritz226 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
I have a Ruger 10/22 and I put on on a Mueller APV scope on... I have 0 complaints about the 10/22 or the scope

Old 08-13-2011 | 02:20 PM
Teamspeed Pro
HBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond repute
what ammo are you guys shooting? I hear the 10/22's are ammo finicky. I'm bringing down my father in laws when we go up there in a few weeks. My local club doesn't allow any rifles bigger then .22's

Old 08-13-2011 | 07:38 PM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by HBdirtbag
what ammo are you guys shooting? I hear the 10/22's are ammo finicky. I'm bringing down my father in laws when we go up there in a few weeks. My local club doesn't allow any rifles bigger then .22's
I've fired 10/22s with round nose, hollow points, etc. I think aftermarket mags are generally the problem. Stick with the 10-rd stock mag and they eat everything...

Old 08-13-2011 | 08:27 PM
Teamspeed Pro
HBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks chris

Old 08-13-2011 | 09:05 PM
Teamspeed Pro
POWERHOUSE has a reputation beyond reputePOWERHOUSE has a reputation beyond reputePOWERHOUSE has a reputation beyond reputePOWERHOUSE has a reputation beyond reputePOWERHOUSE has a reputation beyond reputePOWERHOUSE has a reputation beyond reputePOWERHOUSE has a reputation beyond reputePOWERHOUSE has a reputation beyond reputePOWERHOUSE has a reputation beyond reputePOWERHOUSE has a reputation beyond reputePOWERHOUSE has a reputation beyond repute
HB what Chris said... I've ran mine with alternators mags and ran good but 10 tourers ear everything

Old 08-13-2011 | 09:32 PM
Banned
Simba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond repute
Old 08-14-2011 | 10:29 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Curvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond repute
HB, No issue ever with mine. Eats it all, numerous different magazines as well.

Old 08-21-2011 | 06:51 PM
|
Official Teamspeed Duck's Fan
BuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond repute
Went back to the range today. We shot a Beretta CX4 Storm: 9mm. He did very well, great groups and said he liked it better then the .22. My issue is that a) the spring in the mag was too strong for him to load more than 5 or 6 rounds without help. b) he couldn't cock it on his own. Based on the fact that he wont be self sufficient with this gun, I am back to the 10/22. I think it will be a great gun for a few years for him to learn from. Now I just have to find one to buy.

I was shooting a Sig 226, and he begged me to try it. So I loaded 3 rounds in the mag and let him try it. It only took one round, when that gun went up from the recoil, the look on his face was priceless! I thought he was going to piss himself. He said "ok I tried it, here you go dad" and handed the gun back to me. I am proud of him for the fact that he was willing to give it a try.

Here he is with the 9mm rifle.

Quick Reply: Looking for a good 22 rifle for my son