Notices
The Team Speed Shooting Range The Guns, Ammunition, and General Personal Protection Discussion Forum.

New optics for the AR

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 11:19 PM
Teamspeed Pro
big_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond repute
New optics for the AR

Posted this in the purchase thread, but some might remember my previous MSC site debacle. Got a gun show "deal" on a cheap sight and it wouldn't hold zero + sucky battery life. Today I had to borrow a friend's AR at the range because mine was unusable. His BTW had a vortex which someone here mentioned. No issues with that at all, perfect for a plinking/home defense gun.

So, I just picked up an ACOG style (haha, real ACOG costs more than my rifle did!) Barska. Unlike the other sight its tall enough to direct mount instead of on a riser attachment. I'm hoping that plus a *LITTLE* bit better quality of product will give me what I'm looking for.

Last edited by big_slacker; 05-10-2011 at 11:23 PM.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:00 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Curvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond repute
Ive a Vortex red dot, so far no worries. Dont you just love the fact an ACOG is the same price as the rifle or close to it??

Old 05-11-2011, 12:06 AM
Teamspeed Pro
"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute
Congrats on the purchase! I used an eotech for the first time last Sunday afternoon. I think I'll eventually go that route as I could easily hold it on target at 100yds. However, it was mounted to a very well setup, suppressed DPMS AR that belonged to the very helpful shooter next to me.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:17 AM
Teamspeed Pro
big_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Curvejunkie
Ive a Vortex red dot, so far no worries. Dont you just love the fact an ACOG is the same price as the rifle or close to it??
Yeah, although to be fair that has often been the case with higher end optics even for hunting rifles. For those of us that aren't taking these things into combat (unless an unlucky person breaks in to the house) and don't have to worry about rain, sand, etc... the lower cost options can do the job for a surprising low cost.

Old 05-11-2011, 11:21 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Curvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by big_slacker
Yeah, although to be fair that has often been the case with higher end optics even for hunting rifles. For those of us that aren't taking these things into combat (unless an unlucky person breaks in to the house) and don't have to worry about rain, sand, etc... the lower cost options can do the job for a surprising low cost.
For sure. I know my scope on my deer rifle is worth more than the rifle was. But I would excuse that in that I am going to get one shot, likely be in the rain/fog/snow when i have to take it. That reasoning got my wallet out...

As for the AR, it is more for fun/sport. I can see the arguement about putting on a reliable well made optic, since you hardly need it to fail, or lose zero, when the slathering zombies are at the door (be them real or just the local scumbag druggie).

Old 05-12-2011, 11:25 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Went to the range yesterday. Tried out my new SIG556 and my AR. What fun that is.

Definate difference in sound and feel between the two. Kind of wierd not having the sound of the spring in your ear from the AR to the SIG.

The SIG sight (iron) off by a FOOT at 50 yards. Good lord....

Last edited by Curvejunkie; 04-28-2012 at 01:02 PM.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:44 PM
Teamspeed Pro
I was gonna ask why you have a stapler in your case but I guess putting up targets? LOL! I was shooting at routers and old motorcycle helmets myself.

Attached Images   
Old 05-12-2011, 01:01 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Fuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond repute
^ I wanna see the Motorcycle Helmets!

Old 05-12-2011, 01:19 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by big_slacker
I was gonna ask why you have a stapler in your case but I guess putting up targets? LOL! I was shooting at routers and old motorcycle helmets myself.
Its a fetish. One miss, I staple my leg... LOLOL

No... targets, your correct.

And I second the helmet!!!!

Old 05-12-2011, 03:14 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by Fuel&Fire
^ I wanna see the Motorcycle Helmets!
Surprisingly not that fun to shoot. Since they're just plastic and styrofoam .223 just cuts right through without the helmet even moving. I didn't take pics because I gave them to some kids to shoot at when I left.

Quick Reply: New optics for the AR