Notices
The Team Speed Shooting Range The Guns, Ammunition, and General Personal Protection Discussion Forum.

I think I'm gonna buy me one of these here guns...

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 08:45 AM
TEAMSPEED.COM
Scott in Houston has a reputation beyond reputeScott in Houston has a reputation beyond reputeScott in Houston has a reputation beyond reputeScott in Houston has a reputation beyond reputeScott in Houston has a reputation beyond reputeScott in Houston has a reputation beyond reputeScott in Houston has a reputation beyond reputeScott in Houston has a reputation beyond reputeScott in Houston has a reputation beyond reputeScott in Houston has a reputation beyond reputeScott in Houston has a reputation beyond repute
I think I'm gonna buy me one of these here guns...

I have yet to acquire an AR. I have an old Mini 14, but that's no AR. (It's accurate for a Mini 14 though).
I have plenty of hunting rifles and shotguns, etc, but have got the bug for an AR so I can start participating in 3-gun matches and to use as HD.

I've been reading and think this is a good deal to start on one. I know I may end up changing things, but until I own, shoot, and mess with one a lot, I don't think I know enough of what I'd want to spend big money on one yet.

So, I think I may pick up one of these 3 rifles in the next week or so. What do you guys think?

Rock River Arms Operator2

Old 01-06-2011, 10:12 AM
TeH Ears
chokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond repute
3 gun matches...
Dewd... bad ass, good on you. Have you ever done one? You are going to LOVE it.

That said, you can't go wrong with Rock River. You'll find people that don't like them, but they're going to be the ones that have far too much religion in their guns; and much of their dislike comes from RRA being popular.

I'd offer one suggestion for consideration as well. That would be Daniel Defense.
https://danieldefense.com/rifles.htm...price=2%2C1000

You'll pay a little more, but you will find the components are a little better; and their customer service is a bit more responsive. Street price is a bit different from the website, so don't let that turn you off. I say this not to slight RRA, but rather due to the fact that you're going to do 3 gun shooting. DD may serve you a little better.

Now, strictly opinion there, for the sake of options. And having options is the fun part of playing with guns!

Old 01-06-2011, 11:20 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Curvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond repute
Scott

ooh you are going to love them.... they are a blast to shoot, play with and modify!

Old 01-06-2011, 11:25 AM
Teamspeed Pro
TeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond repute
Ohh man, GLN better go on holiday

Old 01-06-2011, 11:51 AM
TEAMSPEED.COM
Scott in Houston has a reputation beyond reputeScott in Houston has a reputation beyond reputeScott in Houston has a reputation beyond reputeScott in Houston has a reputation beyond reputeScott in Houston has a reputation beyond reputeScott in Houston has a reputation beyond reputeScott in Houston has a reputation beyond reputeScott in Houston has a reputation beyond reputeScott in Houston has a reputation beyond reputeScott in Houston has a reputation beyond reputeScott in Houston has a reputation beyond repute
I've watched a 3 gun and it looks sooooo much fun.
I did my first IDPA last night. I finished 8th out of 24 in accuracy. Not bad for a n00b I think.
I really like the IDPA format, and this same club does 3 gun matches 2x month.

All my experience is sporting clays, skeet, and of course, hunting with a shotgun. I am damned good with a shotgun when it comes to hitting stuff in the air and running across the ground.

All my rifle experience is bench shooting, hunting from stands, and walking (usually with my 30-30) in brush... That's my favorite and I love shooting a rifle. I do well with it in general. My dad taught me a lot, but it's more hunting or sniper style shooting than tactical, house sweeping shooting.

Before last night, my handgun shooting was limited to plinking in creek beds and shooting at paper hanging targets at indoor ranges. Last night I got to shoot out of trees between branches, shoot while on the move walking as well as while behind barriers, and from out of a car window. I did well, and got hooked.
I also was nervous and anxious with it being my first time. Even with the relatively small amount of nerves I experienced in the match, I quickly saw why it's important to train and do everything with gross motor skills. The fine skills deteriorate or disappear quickly!

This AR will be a lot of fun, and will come in handy when the progressives collapse society or make us so weak internationally that we get to live out "Red Dawn".

In reality, it would come in handy in another "Katrina/Rita" type environment I went through a few years ago. It's not New Orleans here, but society breaks down quickly anyway, and I was very glad to be armed in case there were issues with looters or burglars taking advantage of empty, evacuated homes.

Then, of course, the most likely defense use would be

Old 01-06-2011, 12:28 PM
Banned
SoCal is an unknown quantity at this point
I will gladly go shooting with you when I am down that way in June. I love my M4 and really wish I could take it home from Iraq with me... I plan to build a sweet one from scratch once I hit TX and get all of my paperwork straight.

Old 01-06-2011, 02:15 PM
TEAMSPEED.COM
Originally Posted by SoCal
I will gladly go shooting with you when I am down that way in June. I love my M4 and really wish I could take it home from Iraq with me... I plan to build a sweet one from scratch once I hit TX and get all of my paperwork straight.
Nice!! yes, we'll go shoot. Even if you're in another city, I'll drive.

Old 01-06-2011, 02:21 PM
Banned
SoCal is an unknown quantity at this point
Hah, thank you much. If you didn't read it in one of my hilarious "Tell me about..." threads, I will be down in Houston and Austin for 3 days each in June, so good times, they are a coming.

Old 01-06-2011, 03:00 PM
TeH Ears
chokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond repute
Scott, I didn't know you shot skeet. You're going to own in 3 gun.

Old 01-06-2011, 03:10 PM
TEAMSPEED.COM
Sweet! Nice and cool weather too.