Notices
The Team Speed Shooting Range The Guns, Ammunition, and General Personal Protection Discussion Forum.

Looking to get an AR15

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 12:19 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Noel has much to be proud ofNoel has much to be proud ofNoel has much to be proud ofNoel has much to be proud ofNoel has much to be proud ofNoel has much to be proud ofNoel has much to be proud ofNoel has much to be proud ofNoel has much to be proud ofNoel has much to be proud ofNoel has much to be proud of
Looking to get an AR15

Guys-

I want to get an AR15 but have lots of questions. Seeing how there seems to be a decent amount of people here with gun knowledge I thought I'd start w/ Teamspeed.

I should note that I live in Indiana. No criminal history. Looking to make this a longer term project, i.e. year or two years. With that said, total budget somewhere under 3k. Using it mostly for fun at the range and home defense.

Is it better to build one or buy a fully assembled rifle?

How do I obtain a short barrel license? under 16" Long wait times?

How do I obtain a class III weapons license for purchasing a silencer? Long wait times? I think I read there is a $200 tax on it. Anything else I should know?

Can I purchase parts online? Best place to buy?

Thanks for your help!

Aesthetically speaking I like this rifle.

Attached Images  

Last edited by Noel; 03-03-2010 at 12:24 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:49 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Brett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Noel
Guys-

I want to get an AR15 but have lots of questions. Seeing how there seems to be a decent amount of people here with gun knowledge I thought I'd start w/ Teamspeed.

I should note that I live in Indiana. No criminal history. Looking to make this a longer term project, i.e. year or two years. With that said, total budget somewhere under 3k. Using it mostly for fun at the range and home defense.

Is it better to build one or buy a fully assembled rifle?

How do I obtain a short barrel license? under 16" Long wait times?

How do I obtain a class III weapons license for purchasing a silencer? Long wait times? I think I read there is a $200 tax on it. Anything else I should know?

Can I purchase parts online? Best place to buy?

Thanks for your help!

Aesthetically speaking I like this rifle.
First, ask yourself these questions:
Do you want to build one because you like to take time to tinker with things and debug anything that may be wrong?

If so, spend time on M4Carbine.net Forums - Powered by vBulletin and read everything that you can. They seem to be a bit anti-piston setup on there, but it's still a good place to learn.

Or do you just want to purchase something that is very reliable with a factory warranty that you can take out of the box and go shooting without any worries or debugging time?

If so buy from a well known manufacturer and don't skimp. If I were buying an AR today, I would buy an LWRC M6A2 and be done with it. I have shot my buddies quite a bit. It is 100% reliable, fit and finish are top notch, it is more accurate then my Sig 556, and it is backed by a great company that looks out for its customers.

You can get a 14.7" barrel with a permanently attached (PA) flash hider (which brings you to 16" total) for a slightly shorter setup that doesn't require a tax stamp. If you are shooting 5.56mm, and this is your first AR15, I would go with the 14.7" PA or the 16", as it will be a better all around setup and you won't lose much muzzle velocity. Save the hassle and 6 month wait time to build a short barrel rifle (SBR) for your second one. If you get the PA flash hider though make sure it's one that is compatible with whatever suppressor you plan on buying in the future.

Scottsdale gun club stocks LWRC (and many other good brands) and sometimes have a good sale price. SGCUSA.com - SGCUSA.com

You can get a suppressor after waiting 3-6 months for your $200 tax stamp since it is also an NFA item, many have done it with the trust route which seems like a good way to go. I haven't gone through that process yet so I can't comment on specifics, but this is a good read:

Taking the Trust route to the NFA... - Police Forums & Law Enforcement Forums @ Officer.com

Good luck and have fun!

Old 03-03-2010, 03:27 PM
Teamspeed Pro
CarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond repute
Good advice above. I'd wait on the tax stamps for now until you get more comfortable - the wait times are outrageous with all the number of folks trying to acquire one before Obongo slams us with another AWB. By the way, the trust route is being scrutinized heavily with a lot of folks being denied. Before you buy anything, be sure that your local laws allow you to own any of the above.

As for the DI vs Piston, I think a DI is more than sufficient for most shooters, especially if you aren't shooting suppressed. Save the extra cash for ammo and training.

Vendors, I would recommend you to stay with the top tier makers such as Noveske, LaRue, Bravo Company, and I'll think of more later. Note - for some you may need to purchase the uppr and lower separately...not a big deal.

Welcome to the evil black rifle club...

Old 03-03-2010, 06:09 PM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
stuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond repute
McDonald can't come soon enough.

I wish I could pay 200 bucks and get a can, f&cking gun hating communists in CA, ugh.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:53 PM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
You need to read the BATFE site and get the facts. Delving into the world of NFA stuff right off the bat is like buying a Scuderia for your first car. Not wise...

Just get one legally from a shop in your area, familiarize yourself and go from there. If you're just buying it because it looks cool, spend 10% of that and buy some airsoft guns. I have an airsoft G36 that looks and feels like the real deal.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:04 PM
TeH Ears
chokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond repute
I have to agree with Chris. I'm all for people being able to own an automatic weapon, but you really need to ask yourself why. A class III weapon is great in theory, but it will cost you more to shoot than it took to get the thing in the first place.

If you don't care about the costs of the weapon, that is one thing.

The much bigger issue is more inline with what Chris said. You want to go from no rifle to an auto... That is a TERRIBLE idea. there is a reason even the military eases troops into shooting. You need to do it right.

At the risk of sounding like a prick, bro, you've got a lot to learn before jumping into such a weapon. And I, in good conscience, and as a responsible shooter CANNOT advocate helping you acquire an automatic weapon. There is too much responsibility that comes with a fully automatic weapon. If you were a guy that had experience, not a problem, glad to help. But in this case, it would be irresponsible.

Add the fact that you want a suppressor as well, and it makes you look dubious... Frankly, it makes you look like one of two guys.
1. It makes you look like someone who has nefarious intent. I know you don't, but you get the point...
2. You also look like a guy who wants to do this because the perception of such an object is about as alpha male, dripping with testosterone as you can get. And it becomes the ultimate cock compensation tool.

Firearms are a tool bro... Only own the tools you need.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:27 PM
Banned
Simba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by chokeu2
Well said.

Attached Images  
Old 03-04-2010, 01:06 AM
TEAMSPEED.COM
RSSmike You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!RSSmike You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!RSSmike You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!RSSmike You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!RSSmike You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!RSSmike You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!RSSmike You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!RSSmike You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!RSSmike You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!RSSmike You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!RSSmike You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
so many black rifle choices...

LMT-"CQB MRP" (Piston), Noveske N4 (DI), or LWRC (Piston) get my vote as the Premium AR's. If you have the extra cash to burn get the HK 416.

I would suggest buying a built one or at least a fully built upper and lower to ensure quality control and reliability has been maintained, as opposed to buying various parts and building a "franken-rifle": mixing uppers, lowers, barrels and varoius internals from different manufacturers.

You'll be good to go when Zombies come to your door!

Old 03-04-2010, 12:40 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Dr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by chokeu2
Is it OK if I own a tool that I "might" need someday?

Old 03-04-2010, 12:43 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Guest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond repute
Question

You guys think I should get strapped if I'm gonna be working in i-banking when I graduate?