Notices
The Team Speed Shooting Range The Guns, Ammunition, and General Personal Protection Discussion Forum.

Supreme Court ruling favorable.

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 06:46 PM
Teamspeed Pro
ajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond repute
Supreme Court ruling favorable.

While I haven't seen the official statement and won't get too excited, the Supreme Court has ruled that the general right to keep and bear arms is not tied to membership in a militia. I don't want to get too excited, but hopefully this will open doors for Concealed Carry permits to be national.

At issue also is DCs gun ban. I don't know how those that favor the ban believe that ownership of guns by law abiding citizens will increase crime.

Old 03-18-2008, 11:39 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
icruze has a reputation beyond reputeicruze has a reputation beyond reputeicruze has a reputation beyond reputeicruze has a reputation beyond reputeicruze has a reputation beyond reputeicruze has a reputation beyond reputeicruze has a reputation beyond reputeicruze has a reputation beyond reputeicruze has a reputation beyond reputeicruze has a reputation beyond reputeicruze has a reputation beyond repute
No ruling has been made that I'm aware of. They had oral argument presented but it will be a while before the decision is made/released.

Last edited by icruze; 03-18-2008 at 11:49 PM.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:49 AM
Teamspeed Pro
ajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond repute
Okay, my bad. I thought it was a decision, but you're right. They've only had discussion.

Old 03-22-2008, 11:00 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
icruze has a reputation beyond reputeicruze has a reputation beyond reputeicruze has a reputation beyond reputeicruze has a reputation beyond reputeicruze has a reputation beyond reputeicruze has a reputation beyond reputeicruze has a reputation beyond reputeicruze has a reputation beyond reputeicruze has a reputation beyond reputeicruze has a reputation beyond reputeicruze has a reputation beyond repute
You are correct that the comments from a majority of the Justices made it appear that it is almost certain that the DC hand-gun ban will be struck down (this means Chicago's ban is also out).

Old 03-23-2008, 01:05 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
dphouse has a reputation beyond reputedphouse has a reputation beyond reputedphouse has a reputation beyond reputedphouse has a reputation beyond reputedphouse has a reputation beyond reputedphouse has a reputation beyond reputedphouse has a reputation beyond reputedphouse has a reputation beyond reputedphouse has a reputation beyond reputedphouse has a reputation beyond reputedphouse has a reputation beyond repute
Interesting issue. I'm curious how the Court will rule.

Old 03-23-2008, 01:24 AM
Teamspeed Pro
TUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond repute
Uhh...there are opinions written, etc...majority, dissenting, etc...they are analyzed with vigor and cited as precedence in future cases...pretty basic stuff...they do not release the ruling a few days after the hearing...

Old 03-23-2008, 02:10 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Originally Posted by TUUNER
Uhh...there are opinions written, etc...majority, dissenting, etc...they are analyzed with vigor and cited as precedence in future cases...pretty basic stuff...they do not release the ruling a few days after the hearing...
The Supreme Court will not issue an opinion on DC v. Heller for a few months. I am not sure what case you are referring to.

Old 03-23-2008, 11:11 AM
Teamspeed Pro
TUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by icruze
The Supreme Court will not issue an opinion on DC v. Heller for a few months. I am not sure what case you are referring to.
I'm confused by your post...that was exactly my point...there will not be an opinion for some time...I wrote that they do NOT provide a ruling a few days after the hearing as it seemed the OP thought the case was already decided...

Old 03-23-2008, 07:39 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Originally Posted by TUUNER
I'm confused by your post...that was exactly my point...there will not be an opinion for some time...I wrote that they do NOT provide a ruling a few days after the hearing as it seemed the OP thought the case was already decided...
When you wrote "there are opinions written..." I thought you meant that they had already written the opinion. Looks like we are saying the same thing. Decision will come out during the summer.

Old 03-23-2008, 08:01 PM
Teamspeed Pro
^^I see the disconnect...just trying to give the OP a little more background on how these things work...

Quick Reply: Supreme Court ruling favorable.