Notices
The Team Speed Shooting Range The Guns, Ammunition, and General Personal Protection Discussion Forum.

Gun in the house....

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 08:32 AM
OG.
BBGT2 has a reputation beyond reputeBBGT2 has a reputation beyond reputeBBGT2 has a reputation beyond reputeBBGT2 has a reputation beyond reputeBBGT2 has a reputation beyond reputeBBGT2 has a reputation beyond reputeBBGT2 has a reputation beyond reputeBBGT2 has a reputation beyond reputeBBGT2 has a reputation beyond reputeBBGT2 has a reputation beyond reputeBBGT2 has a reputation beyond repute
Bring her to KCR in April. Guarantee she will love guns. Peace thru superior firepower.

Old 03-14-2008, 08:53 AM
Teamspeed Pro
tblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond repute
Jason, I have multiple guns in my house, two in my bedroom alone, and I also have two kids. I keep one on a shelf in a cabinet about 7' off the ground and the other is top shelf in my closet. All of my other guns are locked in a safe. In you line of business, I would not take a dump without a pistol in my hand. It's not paranoia, it's just smart.

Old 03-14-2008, 09:27 AM
TeH Ears
chokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by tblackj
Jason, I have multiple guns in my house, two in my bedroom alone, and I also have two kids. I keep one on a shelf in a cabinet about 7' off the ground and the other is top shelf in my closet. All of my other guns are locked in a safe. In you line of business, I would not take a dump without a pistol in my hand. It's not paranoia, it's just smart.
Thats a great scenario. Mine is similar. Plenty of guns around, and my three year old knows not to touch them. They hold no mystique with her whatsoever. I've socialized her to them.

Once you remove the mystique and fear, there should be no issues.

Old 03-14-2008, 09:30 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
nerual is a jewel in the roughnerual is a jewel in the roughnerual is a jewel in the roughnerual is a jewel in the roughnerual is a jewel in the roughnerual is a jewel in the roughnerual is a jewel in the roughnerual is a jewel in the roughnerual is a jewel in the roughnerual is a jewel in the roughnerual is a jewel in the rough
I have had this same discussion in my household, and my opinion on the matter is that there is absolutely no problem with having guns in a household with children because my children will be taught proper firearm safety from day one. They will know not to point guns at things, not to show them off as toys, and most importantly, not to touch guns without permission. Also, your guns should be locked in a safe when you are not around them, so what's the problem?

Unfortunately, this is an uphill battle, so be patient and try not to badger her too much about it. If someone doesn't understand why they should have a gun in the house, it's difficult to get them to imagine the scenarios you do that make you want protection. You should also point out to her that the police can't and won't be able to protect her should someone enter your house.

Old 03-14-2008, 11:53 AM
Banned
DrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond repute
These are all awesome responses guys, sincerely. I think she will have a different perspective after we go to a range and get her some formal training.

Old 03-14-2008, 12:20 PM
Teamspeed Pro
tblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by chokeu2
Thats a great scenario. Mine is similar. Plenty of guns around, and my three year old knows not to touch them. They hold no mystique with her whatsoever. I've socialized her to them.

Once you remove the mystique and fear, there should be no issues.
My fear is that my daughters friends will find them. I don't think my daughter will ever touch Daddy's "Death Stick" or his "Thunder Shooter", but her friends might not have the same respect. Therefore, everything goes high and out of reach of 4 year old hands. Once they get to the age they can get on chairs and stuff, I will have to get a safe for the bedroom.

Old 03-14-2008, 12:26 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Craigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by tblackj
My fear is that my daughters friends will find them. I don't think my daughter will ever touch Daddy's "Death Stick" or his "Thunder Shooter", but her friends might not have the same respect. Therefore, everything goes high and out of reach of 4 year old hands. Once they get to the age they can get on chairs and stuff, I will have to get a safe for the bedroom.
That post by chokeu2 made me think of that problem as well.

Glad you have thought about this situation before.

Old 03-14-2008, 12:35 PM
TeH Ears
chokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond repute
Great points guys!
I'd like to be clear that I do not just leave them lying around, because what you're speaking of will occur. I've had to take those precautions, forever, simply because not only to I have guns around; I have martial arts equipment too.

That said, caution is always the word of the day for the very reasons you all mention.

Old 03-14-2008, 02:34 PM
Teamspeed Pro
I like to think that I am, most times, cautious to overly paranoid. A friend of mine who is a police officer once told me how amazed I would be at the number of deaths caused by an "unloaded" gun. Too many people leave them laying around with a round in the chamber and kids will be kids. They watch TV and see people get shot and then get up and run off (remember the A-Team?).

I don't know if I could live a sane life if I knew my gun was used by a child to kill another child. I fear things like that.

Old 03-14-2008, 04:20 PM
Teamspeed Member
UCrazyKid has a spectacular aura aboutUCrazyKid has a spectacular aura aboutUCrazyKid has a spectacular aura aboutUCrazyKid has a spectacular aura aboutUCrazyKid has a spectacular aura aboutUCrazyKid has a spectacular aura aboutUCrazyKid has a spectacular aura aboutUCrazyKid has a spectacular aura aboutUCrazyKid has a spectacular aura aboutUCrazyKid has a spectacular aura aboutUCrazyKid has a spectacular aura about

Quick Reply: Gun in the house....