Notices
The Team Speed Shooting Range The Guns, Ammunition, and General Personal Protection Discussion Forum.

Synthetic vs. wood shotgun

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 11:02 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Andrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond repute
Synthetic vs. wood shotgun

I'm planning on purchasing a Benelli Supernova for home defense and sporting clays. While I don't really see any issue, a friend of mine pointed out that an all-black synthetic gun could potentially be an issue if I ever actually had to use it for HD. Basically, a prosecutor might hold it up in front of a jury, and try to paint me as someone evil with a tendency to shoot people (especially with a tube extension), as opposed to a good dude who just like sporting clays.

Evil black gun

Friendly sporting clay gun

Any merit to that? I'm assuming in a state with castle doctrine, it won't really make a difference. For some reason I just prefer the all-black look (as opposed to synthetic camo or wood), maybe I'm too new school.

Last edited by Andrew; 12-03-2009 at 11:07 AM.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:27 AM
Teamspeed Pro
CarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond repute
Honestly, you're friend is an idiot who doesn't really know what the hell he is talking about.

Old 12-03-2009, 11:34 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Andrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CarbonCycles
Honestly, you're friend is an idiot who doesn't really know what the hell he is talking about.
Ok, good to know.

Old 12-03-2009, 12:06 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Overtaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond repute
+1 The purpose of a HD shotgun is to defend yourself, not tickle the villain.

On another note, I wouldn't want a 26"-28" barrel gun for HD.

vs

Old 12-03-2009, 12:20 PM
Teamspeed Pro
CarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond repute
I actually own that same marine magnum...thing is like a workhorse that loves to be abused and asks for seconds.

Old 12-03-2009, 12:26 PM
Teamspeed Pro
"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute
Very well said. Every shotgun I have, except for over and unders, are in synthetic and camo stock b/c they are hunting shotguns.

Easy answer for a duel purpose gun is to get the supernova and purchase two barrels. One for sporting and another for home defense.

BTW, my duck gun is a first generation Benelli Super Black Eagle and I LOVE that gun!!

Last edited by "The JC"; 12-03-2009 at 12:30 PM.
Old 12-03-2009, 01:16 PM
Teamspeed Pro
M5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond repute
Doesn't really matter for your use. Synthetic is great for a working gun, as it does better with water and damage due to dropping it.

If the gun is primarily for home defense, you'll want a shorter barrel.

We had a Supernova around the house for a while, and I didn't really like it. Big, heavy, clunky -- I didn't think it was Benelli's best effort. In comparison, my 12 gauge M1 Field is an incredible gun, as is my dad's Super Black Eagle.

In my opinion, the best pump gun ever made (price to performance) is the Remington 870. I keep a youth model (my first hunting gun) loaded and tucked away.

Old 12-03-2009, 01:21 PM
Teamspeed Pro
M5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by JC919
Very well said. Every shotgun I have, except for over and unders, are in synthetic and camo stock b/c they are hunting shotguns.

Easy answer for a duel purpose gun is to get the supernova and purchase two barrels. One for sporting and another for home defense.

BTW, my duck gun is a first generation Benelli Super Black Eagle and I LOVE that gun!!
Best birthday present of my life was the synthetic M1 Field/Super 90 that my dad bought me. I remember standing at the counter of the gun shop, watching the guy assemble it for me after a ~3 month wait.

However, my favorite current gun is my Beretta AL390. I believe that Beretta simply makes better guns than Benelli.

Old 12-03-2009, 01:24 PM
Teamspeed Pro
"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute
^Long time no hear TSXKid

I like my 390, but it doesn't shoot 3 1/2 (for geese) and the Benelli is much lighter. I got my 390 in high school and still have it. Its the gun I offer to guys hunting with me who don't have their own gun.

Old 12-03-2009, 02:54 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Man, we really should get a TS hunting party assembled...didn't realize there were that many folks who liked to bird hunt.

Quick Reply: Synthetic vs. wood shotgun