Notices
The Team Speed Shooting Range The Guns, Ammunition, and General Personal Protection Discussion Forum.

Military Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 11:15 PM
Full of Win.
Gobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by chokeu2
Fortunately, the Army has learned from the AF on this!
At the moment, you can choose to enlist with an 18x (say xray...) contract for a direct pipeline into the Special Forces selection pipeline. Or, you can choose an option 40 contract which guarantees you Airborne school and a short bus ride ( I say that with humor and truth) to the Ranger selection program, called RIP (Ranger Indoc Program).

Cool thing is that if you should drop from those programs, you would probably end up in the 82nd Airborne, simply because you showed that you were attempting something harder and would probably drive hard.

Certainly not down playing any of the options you have at hand, you have amazing options. The stuff that you would see would totally amaze you. It is truly the way to go adventuring.

You could even enlist for particular units. One VERY cool option is for the US Army's 2nd Infantry Division. These are the guys that you see at the Tomb of the Unknown Solder in DC. They are the real protection detail for the President, and our nations capital. One totally bad ass infantry unit. You need to be at least 6 foot tall however...

Every one of the branches has something amazing to offer. You just need to figure out which mission most interests you.

The Air Force has the hottest women, and the nicest bases in the coolest places... Air Force fighter pilots got nothin on their PJ's and Combat Controllers.
Sweet, even more options on the table then.

And....it's 3rd ID, the Old Guard, that guards the Tomb.

The only thing Chris will tell you about Air Force chicks is how the Marines were always pulling a train on them at DLI. Chris should be back within range of the Interwebs soon and I'm sure will offer advice on the USMC.

Last edited by Gobbles; 07-06-2009 at 11:18 PM.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:15 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Noel has much to be proud ofNoel has much to be proud ofNoel has much to be proud ofNoel has much to be proud ofNoel has much to be proud ofNoel has much to be proud ofNoel has much to be proud ofNoel has much to be proud ofNoel has much to be proud ofNoel has much to be proud ofNoel has much to be proud of
Brian- What did you do in the Army?

Old 07-06-2009, 11:21 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Noel has much to be proud ofNoel has much to be proud ofNoel has much to be proud ofNoel has much to be proud ofNoel has much to be proud ofNoel has much to be proud ofNoel has much to be proud ofNoel has much to be proud ofNoel has much to be proud ofNoel has much to be proud ofNoel has much to be proud of
Nice. I noticed they have weather guys as well. Once you get into the Special Tactics unit do you then specialize in PJ or Combat Controllers? Certainly you don't do both, right?

I know quite a bit about it. I have several friends that are PJ's and Combat Controllers.

What do you want to know?

VERY cool dudes that do not get the due that they deserve.

If you got lost in hell, the PJ's would fight their way in, fix you, and fight their way out with you on their backs.

The Combat Controllers may as well be called the fist of God. They bring it down. And they are typically embedded with the other SOF units so that they can bring that hammer down.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:38 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
This sounds down right awesome...

A Special Operations Weatherman (SOWT; males only) is a part of the Air Force's Special Forces, or Battlefield Airmen. SOWT are Air Force weather technicians with unique training to operate in hostile or denied territory. They gather, assess, and interpret weather and environmental intelligence from forward deployed locations, working primarily with Air Force and Army Special Operations Forces (SOF). They collect weather, ocean, river, snow and terrain intelligence, assist mission planning, generate accurate mission-tailored target and route forecasts in support of global special operations and train joint force members and coalition partners to take and communicate limited weather observations. Additionally, SOWT conduct special reconnaissance, collect upper air data, organize, establish and maintain weather data reporting networks, determine host nation meteorological capabilities and train foreign national forces. The SOWT is a precision parachutist, proficient in the use of light weapons and tactical radios, capable of penetrating hostile areas to perform his duties. He is involved in extensive physical training, skilled in surface water operations using amphibious techniques, trained on motorcycles, snowmobiles, rappelling, and fast rope procedures - all as ways to get to work. The SOWT is an expert in land navigation, capable of overland travel in any environment. Survival training in various climates enables SOWT to function under the most demanding conditions. The unique qualifications of SOWT make them the farthest reaching environmental reconnaissance asset for both ground and air commanders. Special Operations Weather is a very physically, mentally and technically demanding job, one of the best and most prestigious the Air Force has to offer. For amazing training, an adventurous mission, and an exciting lifestyle - this job is it. Airmen must successfully complete all phases of the Physical Ability and Stamina Test (PAST) to be accepted for further processing. The faster an Airman can run and swim, or the more repetitions he can do on each exercise, the better.

The SOWT's officer career counterpart is the Special Operations Weather Team - Officer (SOWT-O).

Last edited by Noel; 07-06-2009 at 11:44 PM.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:23 AM
TeH Ears
chokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Alzilla
Thanks Brian. Here's the thing: I'm all for serving my country in whatever way I can but I'm just not as much for the fighting. I absolutely respect all the badass dudes that are out there kicking ass for the US but it's just not for me. That's why the engineering route seems to be the way to go since that plays much more towards my passions.

I brought the idea up to my father about meeting with a recruiter and he seemed pretty adamant about not going down that route for fear that they'll rope me into something I don't want and I'll immediately get deployed to the ME. I realize that is not at all the case but I would like to know how the recruiting/training process for the Corp of Engineers differs from other branches. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

To be perfectly honest, one of the biggest reasons I've been considering making the move to the military is that there just doesn't seem to be many job opportunities for fresh college grads with my particular skill set. The other main reason is that I love to be working on the most cutting edge stuff possible and if I can't go straight to working on a Formula 1 team (I'll keep dreaming for now!) then maybe the military will quench my thirst to be working with leading edge tech and seeing all that cool stuff.
Have no fear bro, just because one joins the military does not mean that they will be in combat. In fact, MOST people who enlist and get deployed do not end up fighting at all. Most of the MOS in the military are support positions. Most are NOT involved in Combat Arms types of jobs. And thank God that not everyone wants to be Combat Arms or our military would be seriously hampered. This machine that we have, moving our gear all over the globe, thats the not the front line guys doing that. That is the smart people in the rear with the gear getting that job done.

Now... The reality is that you WILL deploy, but in all likelihood, you will not be in a combat role. OR, if the job is available that appeals to you, you could end up working in a lab geeking out on new vehicles. If you go down this route, we will hook up and I'll make sure you get exactly what you want. It is a daunting process, but not at all bad if you know how to work the system. Moreover, as I said earlier, one of the guys I went to basic with, and then on to our first duty station just got off recruiting duty; so he will have golden guidance.

Old 07-07-2009, 12:26 AM
TeH Ears
chokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Noel
This sounds down right awesome...

A Special Operations Weatherman (SOWT; males only) is a part of the Air Force's Special Forces, or Battlefield Airmen. SOWT are Air Force weather technicians with unique training to operate in hostile or denied territory. They gather, assess, and interpret weather and environmental intelligence from forward deployed locations, working primarily with Air Force and Army Special Operations Forces (SOF). They collect weather, ocean, river, snow and terrain intelligence, assist mission planning, generate accurate mission-tailored target and route forecasts in support of global special operations and train joint force members and coalition partners to take and communicate limited weather observations. Additionally, SOWT conduct special reconnaissance, collect upper air data, organize, establish and maintain weather data reporting networks, determine host nation meteorological capabilities and train foreign national forces. The SOWT is a precision parachutist, proficient in the use of light weapons and tactical radios, capable of penetrating hostile areas to perform his duties. He is involved in extensive physical training, skilled in surface water operations using amphibious techniques, trained on motorcycles, snowmobiles, rappelling, and fast rope procedures - all as ways to get to work. The SOWT is an expert in land navigation, capable of overland travel in any environment. Survival training in various climates enables SOWT to function under the most demanding conditions. The unique qualifications of SOWT make them the farthest reaching environmental reconnaissance asset for both ground and air commanders. Special Operations Weather is a very physically, mentally and technically demanding job, one of the best and most prestigious the Air Force has to offer. For amazing training, an adventurous mission, and an exciting lifestyle - this job is it. Airmen must successfully complete all phases of the Physical Ability and Stamina Test (PAST) to be accepted for further processing. The faster an Airman can run and swim, or the more repetitions he can do on each exercise, the better.

The SOWT's officer career counterpart is the Special Operations Weather Team - Officer (SOWT-O).
Yet another guy who doesn't get his due, but his importance is incredible. These are the guys that make sure that an offensive can go off.

Old 07-07-2009, 12:30 AM
TeH Ears
Originally Posted by Gobbles
Sweet, even more options on the table then.

And....it's 3rd ID, the Old Guard, that guards the Tomb.

The only thing Chris will tell you about Air Force chicks is how the Marines were always pulling a train on them at DLI. Chris should be back within range of the Interwebs soon and I'm sure will offer advice on the USMC.
Just damn... I was looking at the 2nd ID patch in a picture of my brother when I was writing that, and there it went... I need to go to bed...

The man that made the most impact on me while in the Army came out of the Old Guard. He pulled Tomb Duty, and he was on the Army Drill Team. He was the most amazing squad leader who set the standard for the NCO that I was to become. Because of his training, our entire squad got our EIB badges on the first go around, with absolutely no, no-go's in the entire squad. We did our 12 miler between 2hrs 11 min and 2.5 hours. I managed to score the 2 11 time. Mind you that 12 miler is in full combat gear with rifle. (BTW: EIB = Expert Infantrymans Badge)

I LOVE the Old Guard and the 3 ID.

Old 07-07-2009, 12:39 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Have no fear bro, just because one joins the military does not mean that they will be in combat. In fact, MOST people who enlist and get deployed do not end up fighting at all. Most of the MOS in the military are support positions. Most are NOT involved in Combat Arms types of jobs. And thank God that not everyone wants to be Combat Arms or our military would be seriously hampered. This machine that we have, moving our gear all over the globe, thats the not the front line guys doing that. That is the smart people in the rear with the gear getting that job done.

Now... The reality is that you WILL deploy, but in all likelihood, you will not be in a combat role. OR, if the job is available that appeals to you, you could end up working in a lab geeking out on new vehicles. If you go down this route, we will hook up and I'll make sure you get exactly what you want. It is a daunting process, but not at all bad if you know how to work the system. Moreover, as I said earlier, one of the guys I went to basic with, and then on to our first duty station just got off recruiting duty; so he will have golden guidance.
Thank again, Brian. You've got a PM.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:10 AM
Full of Win.
Gobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by StrikerX50
I tried to enlist in the Army 3 times, Air Force twice, Marines and Navy once each. All turned down because of a slight hearing deficit, especially when they learned I wanted to be a part of USSOCOM. I had the physical ability and the mental will, just unable to get them to look past the fact that my hearing wasn't 110%. I was still willing to give it everything I had and my parents thought I was crazy for wanting to be in the elite units instead of taking a tech job like my little brother did when he enlisted recently. Do a lot of research, talk to members of the branches you are considering then make your choice and run with it. All I wanted to do was serve, to give something back, just didn't work out for me.
Striker, as my wife has often pointed out to me (not quite the same circumstances as yours, but similar enough):

"You've done more than some President's have...."

Good for you bro. You have the drive and motivation. I am confident you will find a way to serve our country in civilian life that will both satisfy your thirst and make you proud. There are MANY ways to do so certainly.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:27 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Gobbles,

I found this article that seems to back up what you're saying:

From the AF webpage...

by Jeremy Webster
AF Special Operations Command Public Affairs

10/6/2008 - HURLBURT FIELD, Fla. (AFNS) -- Air Force special operations weathermen now have a new specialty code they can call their own.

Recruiters can enlist trainees directly into the 1W0X2 special operations weathermen career field since the new Air Force specialty code is now in the enlisted classification directory.

Before this new AFSC, weather Airmen applied to become special operations weathermen after already being in the Air Force, They were sent to work and live on an Army post where they relied on the Army for equipment and training. There was no standardized training, according to Chief Master Sgt Andrew Hopwood, Air Force Special Operations Command weather functional manager.

"The new AFSC will provide special operations weathermen the right technical, physical and tactical training from day one. This will greatly enhance their battlefield observing, environmental reconnaissance and forecasting missions," Chief Hopwood said.

Because of time between classes, Airmen previously spent four years training to become special operations weathermen. Under the new program, they will finish training in approximately two and half years. The first basic military training graduates will enter the new training pipeline in January 2009.

Trainees will attend the two-week Special Operations Weathermen Selection Course at Lackland Air Force Base, Texas. This is a physical training assessment with progressive training to prepare candidates for the next phase.

After the selection course, students will attend their initial-skills course at Keesler AFB, Miss., for 30 weeks where they will go through the Air Force Weather Course and endure additional physical training elements.

Upon completion of their initial-skills course, they will earn their jump qualification from airborne school at Fort Benning, Ga and attend survival school at Fairchild AFB, Wash. They will then train side-by-side with combat controllers during the Special Operations Weather Apprentice Course at Pope AFB, N.C. before being assigned to the Special Tactics Training Squadron here. They will learn additional weather skills necessary to deploy and operate in stressful environments. Training also will include basic communication, navigation, employment techniques, weapons training and small unit tactics.

Special operations weathermen have 99 slots, but are currently only 65 percent manned. Once Airmen become special operations weathermen, they will be assigned to Hurlburt's 10th Combat Weather Squadron and will be stationed at detachments across the United State

Originally Posted by Gobbles
You are talking about Pararescue (PJ) or Combat Controller. There is tons of info about both online. Last word I got is they are still taking volunteers for both when you report to basic, regardless of what you signed up for. If you pass their PFT, you are given the option to switch AFSCs. Definitely something worth considering as you can opt for it going in, versus Army where you pick an MOS, then do Airborne, then do Ranger, then apply for the Q course, etc. Not bashing the Army by any means, just saying the Air Force choice is a more direct route. You are looking at approx. 2 years of training for either PJ or CCT, IIRC before getting assigned to your unit.

Quick Reply: Military Question