Notices
The Team Speed Shooting Range The Guns, Ammunition, and General Personal Protection Discussion Forum.

Military Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 02:52 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Noel has much to be proud ofNoel has much to be proud ofNoel has much to be proud ofNoel has much to be proud ofNoel has much to be proud ofNoel has much to be proud ofNoel has much to be proud ofNoel has much to be proud ofNoel has much to be proud ofNoel has much to be proud ofNoel has much to be proud of
Military Question

What branch of the Military would you guys go into and why?

Last edited by Noel; 07-06-2009 at 04:21 PM.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:14 PM
TeH Ears
chokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond repute

I've been a part of the Army machine since 1989.
I enlisted out of what a lot of people would consider silly reasons...

I was brought up to believe in the white knight concepts of freedom, liberty and the reasons that this country was founded, combined with a sense of honor and duty to do my part in service to this nation. I learned early on that freedom is not free, and the best possible way to "give back", was to do as many in my family have done; and serve in the military.

I honestly and arrogantly believe that the natural human condition is to want to live free from oppression, and it was/is a calling to help whomever wants to know that condition. I also wanted/want to be a part of any activity as it would relate to ensuring our country remains a free country. An issue that I believe will come to a head in the coming years...

The service was a privilege, and it allowed me to see and do things that people can only dream about, or see poorly replicated in movies.

A parachute, a rifle and wherever I was needed was the purest form of service possible.

"Choosing" a branch means understanding their individual missions.

A question for you: What begs the question Noel? Are you considering an enlistment?

Old 07-06-2009, 03:54 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Noel has much to be proud ofNoel has much to be proud ofNoel has much to be proud ofNoel has much to be proud ofNoel has much to be proud ofNoel has much to be proud ofNoel has much to be proud ofNoel has much to be proud ofNoel has much to be proud ofNoel has much to be proud ofNoel has much to be proud of
Ha. I was hoping you'd respond, seeing as how you seem to be the resident military guru here.

I would say my recent interest in enlisting has stemmed from a couple different things. I want to "accelerate my life", I don't feel passionate about typical office work anymore, and I've always looked up to/envied the people who serve our country. FYI, I'm 27 and single.

I'm looking for an experience that will both challenge me and give me useful skills. I find myself really drawn towards the more elite units within the military, i.e Special Forces, Seals, etc. I know the training is insanely hard and the odds are against me, which is why they are partially attractive to me.

I'm not 100% sure I want to enlist but I'm definitely trying to get all the details and see if they match my wants/interests.

Thanks.

Last edited by Noel; 07-06-2009 at 04:21 PM.
Old 07-06-2009, 04:08 PM
TeH Ears
chokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond repute
27 and single... You're ripe for the picking!

Here is the thing... You have the itch, and if you do not scratch it, you're going to be one of those guys who says that he "thought about" joining when you're older. If that itch is about seeing things that others can only dream about, do it. No substitute. But when you're done, you'll have a point of view that will allude most. Consider that a gift however.

Now... You will get leadership and "management" training like none other. Of course, you could get shot, or blown up, but thats the chance a man with a set of nuts takes when he has this particular itch to scratch.

And your interested in the special operations community. No surprise there, most are. and you are right, the odds are against you. But realize this... If you're above average, the odds are for you. Most guys quit because they get a reality check. They enlist and try out for these units based upon what they see on TV or in the movies. The reality that this shit is hard alludes them. And when the mental parts from the physical, they quit. If you go into it knowing that its just pain and it will end, you will be fine.

But you've got to go at the special operations route with no other passion in competition. Know that it is going to suck, that it is going to be hard, and know what the hell it means to be the gray man; you will succeed. Give it you best shot in everything, not worrying about being first or last, but being damn committed to get the job done, you'll succeed.

Be quiet, learn what the term quiet professional means. In short, not our in the bars and clubs, and internet bragging that you are some highspeedlowdragsecretysquirrelassassinspecialforc esrangersniperseal.

With that being said, what do you want to do? Do you want to be in a bad place quietly, fomenting insurgency. Or a shock trooper? Why do you want to do it? This lifestyle choice is one that you either "know" you want to do, or "think" that you want to do. You cannot enlist, and succeed unless you "know" you want it. These units don't want you, it is you who must prove that you want to be there.

So many kids enlist and act as if they're doing the Army/ military a favor by signing up and trying out. They're the first ones flushed from the programs. Get in, get on, keep your mouth shut, never quit, be the gray man, etc... You get the point...

What exactly is it that which is your linchpin to decide?

Old 07-06-2009, 04:12 PM
TeH Ears
"useful skills"...

This one is tricky... I can tell you from personal experience, as I am sure that several of the bro's here on this board can vouch for.

Your personality will get changed and it will affect how people relate and deal with you on some issues. Things you say will not resonate well at times. And you'll avoid some conversations all together at some points. I've lost track how many times I've held my tongue on this forum, believe it or not.

Thing is, you want something "different", about which you can be ultimately passionate about, nothing will beat this choice...

Old 07-06-2009, 04:24 PM
ECB
Teamspeed Pro
ECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond repute
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to chokeu2 again

Old 07-06-2009, 05:46 PM
Banned
Simba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond repute
Air Force. Chicks dig fighter jocks.

Old 07-06-2009, 06:49 PM
ECB
Teamspeed Pro
ECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Simba
Air Force. Chicks dig fighter jocks.
haha
reminds me of this
Originally Posted by vtgts300kw
Do you ever fail to comment on a post where you can crap on about your flight training?

We have plenty of pilots on the forum, and they don't ever feel the need to spout of about their infinite knowledge.
and this

YouTube - Jet Pilot music video

Last edited by ECB; 07-06-2009 at 06:56 PM.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:16 PM
Teamspeed Pro
StrikerX50 has a reputation beyond reputeStrikerX50 has a reputation beyond reputeStrikerX50 has a reputation beyond reputeStrikerX50 has a reputation beyond reputeStrikerX50 has a reputation beyond reputeStrikerX50 has a reputation beyond reputeStrikerX50 has a reputation beyond reputeStrikerX50 has a reputation beyond reputeStrikerX50 has a reputation beyond reputeStrikerX50 has a reputation beyond reputeStrikerX50 has a reputation beyond repute
I tried to enlist in the Army 3 times, Air Force twice, Marines and Navy once each. All turned down because of a slight hearing deficit, especially when they learned I wanted to be a part of USSOCOM. I had the physical ability and the mental will, just unable to get them to look past the fact that my hearing wasn't 110%. I was still willing to give it everything I had and my parents thought I was crazy for wanting to be in the elite units instead of taking a tech job like my little brother did when he enlisted recently. Do a lot of research, talk to members of the branches you are considering then make your choice and run with it. All I wanted to do was serve, to give something back, just didn't work out for me.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:41 PM
Teamspeed Pro
"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute
Army in order to then apply for Ranger school, if you're going then go all the way. If not that then Air Force to become a Special Ops helicopter pilot (there are a number of videos of these guys around here some where).

*Just want to make clear that I have never attempted to enlist, but merely considered it seriously while I was in college.

Quick Reply: Military Question