Notices
The Team Speed Shooting Range The Guns, Ammunition, and General Personal Protection Discussion Forum.

After 4 months the new Nighthawk is here!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 11:07 PM
The black sheep of the family.
vtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond repute
Sure does look purdy.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:10 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Schwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MexicoBlue
Wow! You have been through several Glock barrels? You must shoot a lot of bullets . . .

After how many bullets, in your experience, does a Glock barrel need to be replaced? I would have thought other parts might have failed first.
Russ,

it is not a question of need to be replaced. I read about people who put more then 150,000 rounds thought there Glock without replacing the barrel. It also depends on the calibre. It is a personal choice, when I start to have failure to feed or eject issues more often then normaly I change the barrel, around 10-15,000 rounds. Small cost, piece of mind. No need to change it but then again people change their oil, pads, rotors whatever more frequently then required. Other parts I have replaced are the recoil spring and firing pin. I purchased my Glock in 1994, yup I put a lot of rounds through it.

To others,
I am a little amazed that my personal preference against a thumb/back strap safety stirs the pot so much. It just does not make sense to me that I have to press and hold a safety to fire a weapon. I also do not drive with my hand on the e-brake. The only safety that really works is the trigger finger and the decision you make. Having to depress a safety does not make a gun safer but more likely to malfunction when you need it the most, again that is MHO. Just why does this have to equate to you do not know how to shoot and need more range time?

Old 06-25-2009, 08:29 PM
Teamspeed Pro
86blackwidow has a reputation beyond repute86blackwidow has a reputation beyond repute86blackwidow has a reputation beyond repute86blackwidow has a reputation beyond repute86blackwidow has a reputation beyond repute86blackwidow has a reputation beyond repute86blackwidow has a reputation beyond repute86blackwidow has a reputation beyond repute86blackwidow has a reputation beyond repute86blackwidow has a reputation beyond repute86blackwidow has a reputation beyond repute
Great looking gun congrats.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:01 PM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Schwabe
To others,
I am a little amazed that my personal preference against a thumb/back strap safety stirs the pot so much. It just does not make sense to me that I have to press and hold a safety to fire a weapon. I also do not drive with my hand on the e-brake. The only safety that really works is the trigger finger and the decision you make. Having to depress a safety does not make a gun safer but more likely to malfunction when you need it the most, again that is MHO. Just why does this have to equate to you do not know how to shoot and need more range time?
I think some of us have experienced circumstances where an additional mechanical safety is an advantage. I carry Glocks frequently, so I'm a big fan. However, NOTHING can touch the ergonomics of the 1911. If it weren't so good, it wouldn't have lasted this long. Further evidence is when manufacturers like SIG-Sauer make 1911s after decades of double-action 9mms. FWIW, if I could only have ONE pistol to count on, it'd be a Glock 21 in .45 ACP.

Old 06-30-2009, 10:52 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Schwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond repute
Unfortunately thye 1911 design does not even pass the drop test, now actually a mandate in California as far as I know. Round chambered and weapon cocked and safety engaged weapon is dropped from 6 different positions. The external thumb safety does not prevent the 1911 to discharge when dropped.

Again, I do not mean to harp on this. 1911 is an icon, many built under licensing, most po0werfule service gun at its time, many beautiful race guns built but like a modern interpretation of the American muscle car, such as Camarros and Challengers, not a very good sports car. Does one thing good. As you said if you had to rely on one gun. I believe noithing has been copied more then the safe action polymere design from Glock. I do not believe there is a single hand gun manufacturer left that does not have one in their program.

Or as Thommy Lee said, get rid of that nickel plated sissy gun and get yourself a Glock.

No harm ment, again it is a beautiful gun and great craftsmanship.

Old 06-30-2009, 11:13 AM
Teamspeed Member
Evil Duffman has a reputation beyond reputeEvil Duffman has a reputation beyond reputeEvil Duffman has a reputation beyond reputeEvil Duffman has a reputation beyond reputeEvil Duffman has a reputation beyond reputeEvil Duffman has a reputation beyond reputeEvil Duffman has a reputation beyond reputeEvil Duffman has a reputation beyond reputeEvil Duffman has a reputation beyond reputeEvil Duffman has a reputation beyond reputeEvil Duffman has a reputation beyond repute
Wow that gun is nice, this is making me rethink the plinker and maybe saving up for a real nice 1911.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:26 PM
Teamspeed Pro
CarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Schwabe
Unfortunately thye 1911 design does not even pass the drop test, now actually a mandate in California as far as I know. Round chambered and weapon cocked and safety engaged weapon is dropped from 6 different positions. The external thumb safety does not prevent the 1911 to discharge when dropped.
You are referring to an inertia-driven discharge. Yes, I will agree that a standard 1911 could potentially fail the drop-test; however, 2 simple modifications can help reduce (if not eliminate) this problem: a lighter firing pin made of titanium and a stronger spring. Honestly, I cannot see this is a legitimate concern because the odds of everything lining up properly for the gun to discharge when dropped is pretty slim...heck, based off your safety-criteria above, I hope you don't own an AR because that also has the potential (if not greater) of an inertia-driven discharge.

Now, if you really threw a 1911, and it started to cartwheel muzzle-over-handle then I could see the gun being discharged. But, I'd wonder what is wrong with you to be chunking your handgun with loaded rounds.