Notices
The Team Speed Shooting Range The Guns, Ammunition, and General Personal Protection Discussion Forum.

Back to the range today

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 12:09 AM
Teamspeed Pro
StrikerX50 has a reputation beyond reputeStrikerX50 has a reputation beyond reputeStrikerX50 has a reputation beyond reputeStrikerX50 has a reputation beyond reputeStrikerX50 has a reputation beyond reputeStrikerX50 has a reputation beyond reputeStrikerX50 has a reputation beyond reputeStrikerX50 has a reputation beyond reputeStrikerX50 has a reputation beyond reputeStrikerX50 has a reputation beyond reputeStrikerX50 has a reputation beyond repute
Back to the range today

Hit up the range today for the second time today. I checked out an XDM-40 and an FN Five-SeveN. Here's the results below.

XDM-40

and then the Five-SeveN

I don't think I did too bad. I'm a right-handed shooter but a left eye aimer. Only my second time shooting, mostly by instinct.

Old 04-07-2009, 12:11 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Dr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond repute
The Five-seveN is a lot of fun. Good job!

Old 04-07-2009, 12:17 AM
TeH Ears
chokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond repute
You're right! For a second time shooter, you did rather well.

And frankly, one of the only issues you have, is your trigger squeeze. You're anticipating the round going off.

Question: Are you aiming with one eye, or two eyes open?

If only one, open your eyes my brother... Use both eyes...

Old 04-07-2009, 12:23 AM
Teamspeed Pro
StrikerX50 has a reputation beyond reputeStrikerX50 has a reputation beyond reputeStrikerX50 has a reputation beyond reputeStrikerX50 has a reputation beyond reputeStrikerX50 has a reputation beyond reputeStrikerX50 has a reputation beyond reputeStrikerX50 has a reputation beyond reputeStrikerX50 has a reputation beyond reputeStrikerX50 has a reputation beyond reputeStrikerX50 has a reputation beyond reputeStrikerX50 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by chokeu2
You're right! For a second time shooter, you did rather well.

And frankly, one of the only issues you have, is your trigger squeeze. You're anticipating the round going off.

Question: Are you aiming with one eye, or two eyes open?

If only one, open your eyes my brother... Use both eyes...
Thanks for the advice. I took notes of how I aimed today so I can check how I improve as a shooter. When I aim, even though I'm right-handed, I pull the sights in line with my left eye and close my right. I tried shooting with my right eye open and left eye closed and it was awkward. Same goes with having both eyes open, it didn't feel 'natural' to me. I went cross-eyed trying it. Is shooting with both eyes open something that is easily learned? I haven't had a chance to to get into a professional class, but I'm on the list.

Forgot to mention - the highlight of the night was watching the store owner boot a couple of guys from the property after he caught them shooting 'homeboy' style with a rental G19.

Last edited by StrikerX50; 04-07-2009 at 12:25 AM.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:31 AM
TeH Ears
chokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond repute
Shooting with both your eyes open is actually a more "natural" way of aiming anyways... It gives you a wider field of vision and it super imposes your target on your brain.

Just keep at it, look at the target and the front site post, not so much the rear. The attempt, or sensation of going "cross eyed" was your brain trying to super impose your target, let it happen, and you'll see in short order that it is a very natural way to shoot.

And just remember, in a SHTF situation, you're not going to close one eye to aim. Hell, you'll be lucky to be able to aim. Might as well use all of your physical tools.

Old 04-07-2009, 12:40 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Definitely noted. I'll have to give it a shot next time (literally) and see how I do. How would I correct anticipating the round going off? Try to smooth out my trigger pulls?

Old 04-07-2009, 12:42 AM
TeH Ears

Squeeze, do not pull. The round should be a "surprise" when it goes off. Then as you get to know your weapon, you will know where the trigger is going to break, and the problem of anticipation will go away for the most part.

A smaller part of your shot placement is also your grip. Thats a hard one to describe in writing! Especially as I'm finally tired enough to sleep!

I'll take a crack at it tomorrow bro.

Old 04-07-2009, 01:01 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Dr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond repute
Todd Jarrett has some good videos available YouTube - Todd Jarrett on pistol shooting.