Notices
The Team Speed Shooting Range The Guns, Ammunition, and General Personal Protection Discussion Forum.

1911 opinions needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 03:49 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
tws_andrew is an unknown quantity at this point
1911 opinions needed

Looking for my first 1911. Considering the TRP, Nighthawk, Colt etc. Budget is 1-2k. Will only shoot it at the range and will not compete. Will be shot seldomly and want something that will hold value and have decent demand ongoing as I buy and sell a bit. Thoughts?

Old 01-25-2009, 08:19 PM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
Not to be blunt, but do a search - we've had a bunch of 1911 threads lately...

Old 01-26-2009, 10:42 AM
TeH Ears
chokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond repute
Chris is correct. You will find some good information.

Something to keep in mind.... If it is going to be a SHTF weapon, steer away from a potentially finicky high end target banger. Just because a 1911 carry's a cool name doesn't mean its going to be a go to weapon.

Old 01-26-2009, 11:40 AM
Teamspeed Pro
CarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond repute
Search is your friend, but a few quick comments. For the price range you have listed, you will be in either new Kimber territory or a semi-custom used 1911. Do your homework because 1911s are fun but they can be very finicky and customer service may be your best friend (hopefully that is not the case for everyone on TS).

Old 01-27-2009, 01:03 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
Larson7.62 is an unknown quantity at this point
There is another thread on this page or the next, but I will reiterate my opinion. Don't get Kimber.

Old 01-27-2009, 01:41 AM
TeH Ears
chokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Larson7.62
There is another thread on this page or the next, but I will reiterate my opinion. Don't get Kimber.
I will reiterate, Larsons reiterated opinion... My cheap ass Taurus PT1911 is my go to 1911 all day. Haven't shot the Kimbers since I got it. The Wilson, I don't shoot it because I don't want to put the wear and tear on it. If I didn't have the the Taurus, my Para or Springfield would be the go to guns.

Thats assuming I'm not tooling around with my Glock 33...

The moral is... get something you're going to USE. if you are not going to go shooting often, don't mess with a 1911.

Old 01-27-2009, 01:01 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
Loki1911 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Loki1911 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Loki1911 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Loki1911 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Loki1911 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Loki1911 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Loki1911 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Loki1911 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Loki1911 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Loki1911 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Loki1911 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
If your gonna go 1911, It might be a good idea to also have an extensive spare parts/tool kit if you shoot often enough you will see that all guns break and/or wear out especially 1911's

Old 01-27-2009, 01:40 PM
TeH Ears
Originally Posted by Loki1911
If your gonna go 1911, It might be a good idea to also have an extensive spare parts/tool kit if you shoot often enough you will see that all guns break and/or wear out especially 1911's
Yea, but you clean yours too much, kinda like flogging your monkey. Its gonna get raw...

That Taurus I brought out to 'bama is well over 2k rounds at this point, uncleaned.
I'm wear testing that biatch... Its been as reliable as my Glocks.

Old 02-04-2009, 01:54 AM
Teamspeed Pro
X2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Larson7.62
Hey!

I love my Kimber, and it's a great piece.

I am looking for a Springfield Arms 1911 though.

Keeping both of course.

Old 02-04-2009, 10:34 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
ttgangsta has a reputation beyond reputettgangsta has a reputation beyond reputettgangsta has a reputation beyond reputettgangsta has a reputation beyond reputettgangsta has a reputation beyond reputettgangsta has a reputation beyond reputettgangsta has a reputation beyond reputettgangsta has a reputation beyond reputettgangsta has a reputation beyond reputettgangsta has a reputation beyond reputettgangsta has a reputation beyond repute
Lol this is why I am keeping my hk9, if you are ever in a shtf situation idk if I would want my 1911s. Although the nighthawk I have is used and I have put 2k rds through it without a malfunction.

Quick Reply: 1911 opinions needed