Notices
The Team Speed Shooting Range The Guns, Ammunition, and General Personal Protection Discussion Forum.

1911 opinions needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 01:34 PM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
stuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond repute
OK, stupid noob question.

Why would you prefer a 1911 over a Glock or other type of simpler devices for SHTF?

In that situation, wouldn't you want something that you can just pick up and it will go bang every time with very little maintenance?

And no safety, always ready to go?

All I have ever heard from gun folks is that 1911 is better, but why exactly is it better? The CHP's out here use the simple Smith & Wesson M&P 40, for instance.

Old 02-04-2009, 03:17 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Brett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by stuka
OK, stupid noob question.

Why would you prefer a 1911 over a Glock or other type of simpler devices for SHTF?

In that situation, wouldn't you want something that you can just pick up and it will go bang every time with very little maintenance?

And no safety, always ready to go?

All I have ever heard from gun folks is that 1911 is better, but why exactly is it better? The CHP's out here use the simple Smith & Wesson M&P 40, for instance.
That's a good question, and the reason why I like my Sig P226R (.40 S&W) with the DA/SA trigger. No safety to worry about, and it has never once had any sort of hiccup. It has eaten every type of ammo I have ever fed it with no FTF/FTE of any kind, and it is extremely accurate and well made.

I think many like the 1911 because it is also proven when well maintained, and they are familiar with the platform. I have a good friend with a pretty nice Kimber. He had extraction issues with it when new, after he sent it in it has been very reliable for him and he shoots it really well. I see people say not to get Kimber's all over the net though because of issues they had in the past. Then again, most of the local guys I know swear by Wilson's as well, but there are others who say to stay away from them for your go-to weapon.

Like anything else, to each their own. Find something that works reliably for you and stick with it IMO. I'm sure there have been plenty of people with Glock issues, you may just not see them posted as often on the net.

Old 02-04-2009, 03:37 PM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
The ultimate SHTF handgun is a Glock 21. If you want to be REALLY practical, the good, old, original Glock 17 is best - 9mm is plentiful all over the world.

Glocks are without question the most reliable semi-auto pistols made today.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:39 PM
Teamspeed Pro
M5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond repute
This is what I have my eye on:

Springfield Armory

Old 02-08-2009, 12:52 PM
Teamspeed Member
sunset has a brilliant futuresunset has a brilliant futuresunset has a brilliant futuresunset has a brilliant futuresunset has a brilliant futuresunset has a brilliant futuresunset has a brilliant futuresunset has a brilliant futuresunset has a brilliant futuresunset has a brilliant futuresunset has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
The ultimate SHTF handgun is a Glock 21. If you want to be REALLY practical, the good, old, original Glock 17 is best - 9mm is plentiful all over the world.

Glocks are without question the most reliable semi-auto pistols made today.
I agree with all the above. For a SHTF, you just can't beat a Glock. Check out some of the torture tests out there. Unbelievable stuff. I was a Glock guy for many years.

However, once you get used to a 1911 and the trigger, it is hard to convert back. The "pointability" that people talk about is different. If you are used to a 1911 and pick up a glock and point, you will be aiming high. Thus, I decided to switch all weapons to the same "pointabilty" and got rid of all my Glocks except one. In addition to the 1911s, I keep a stash of a variety of HKs. Although I can get used to Glocks again after shooting them for a little bit, I don't need any worries if there is ever a SHTF stressful situation and then needing to readjust my point of aim.

Find a platform you like and stick with it. Glocks are a great choice and very practical and uber-reliable. Plus, if something breaks, it is easy and cheap to fix. You can also modify the Glock trigger and grip, etc. for fairly cheap. Tons of extra goodies out there....holsters, etc.

JMHO

Old 02-08-2009, 03:47 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Dr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond repute

But, I may be a bit biased

Old 02-08-2009, 09:16 PM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute

Old 02-08-2009, 11:39 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Overtaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond repute
Today I overheard a fellow on an elevator say that the .45 (I'm assuming it's a 1911--haven't seen the film yet) used in Gran Torino is "worthless" because it "only holds eight rounds." I guess he doesn't know that USSOCOM still uses them and that the military was planning to ditch the M9 in favor of a .45 just a few years ago.

Has anyone here fired an HK45 and how do they compare to a 1911?

Old 02-08-2009, 11:44 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Dr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond repute
Great movie....go see it.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:05 AM
Teamspeed Pro
CarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Overtaker
Has anyone here fired an HK45 and how do they compare to a 1911?
Very similar since the bore axis has been lowered on the HK45, and it has been slimmed down from the beefier USP...it gives that nice slow push that you expect from a 45 with a manageable muzzle flip. However, it is still not a 1911 no matter how much it tries.

Quick Reply: 1911 opinions needed