Notices
The Team Speed Shooting Range The Guns, Ammunition, and General Personal Protection Discussion Forum.

Update: TRIED to get my first gun today

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 07:29 PM
Teamspeed Member
Kraftwerk has a reputation beyond reputeKraftwerk has a reputation beyond reputeKraftwerk has a reputation beyond reputeKraftwerk has a reputation beyond reputeKraftwerk has a reputation beyond reputeKraftwerk has a reputation beyond reputeKraftwerk has a reputation beyond reputeKraftwerk has a reputation beyond reputeKraftwerk has a reputation beyond reputeKraftwerk has a reputation beyond reputeKraftwerk has a reputation beyond repute
Update: TRIED to get my first gun today

After alot of looking around online and talking to people I decided that a .22 rifle was perfect for my beginner needs. I'd never heard of the whole "plinking" concept but it sounds like exactly what I will do, some range shooting just to learn the basics to get accurate and maybe a bit of squirrel hunting. So today I went to a couple pawn shops and gun stores to see what was in stock and narrowed it down to a used Ruger 10/22 in like-new condition at a gun store or a Mossberg 802 Plinkster at a sporting goods store. The Ruger was priced at $180 and the Mossberg was on sale for $110. Even though Ruger has the better name I thought for my needs, I might as well go cheap because I've heard mostly positives about the Mossberg. Anyways I tell the clerk that I'll take it and sign all the paperwork and then my background check gets delayed and he tells me he can't sell me it today and will call back when it clears. I'm not a felon so the guy told me it happens to about 1 in 5 first time gun owners.

Just thought I'd tell you all how disappointed I was. I had planned on firing a hundred rounds or so today and will have to wait. While I do wait does anyone have anything terrible to say about the Mossberg that would want me to back out? I asked the salesman if I get cleared and still back out and went to buy the Ruger or another rifle would I get delayed again and he told me I probably would.

Everyone I know has never had this trouble, even my buddy that was with me bought his WSR 10 (post-ban AK) awhile back with zero trouble as his first gun. Was I just the bad statistic? or because it was a major sporting goods store?

Will post up as soon as I get something!

Old 01-06-2009, 07:36 PM
Teamspeed Pro
quickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond repute
My girlfriends brother just bought a brand new AK47. First time buyer. Called it in, relayed the info, and the confirmed. Took less than 5 minutes. Weird situation for you

Old 01-06-2009, 09:09 PM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
stuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond repute
If he is in CA, it is very possible.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:41 PM
Teamspeed Member
Kraftwerk has a reputation beyond reputeKraftwerk has a reputation beyond reputeKraftwerk has a reputation beyond reputeKraftwerk has a reputation beyond reputeKraftwerk has a reputation beyond reputeKraftwerk has a reputation beyond reputeKraftwerk has a reputation beyond reputeKraftwerk has a reputation beyond reputeKraftwerk has a reputation beyond reputeKraftwerk has a reputation beyond reputeKraftwerk has a reputation beyond repute
Kentucky. Nearly polar opposite to CA.

In almost every other case I've heard of you can literally walk in, sign here, initial there, and 5 minutes later you can walk out with an AR-15 or what have you.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:05 PM
Full of Win.
Gobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond repute
Then you obviously look sketchy...

Old 01-06-2009, 11:15 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
///Milan has a reputation beyond repute///Milan has a reputation beyond repute///Milan has a reputation beyond repute///Milan has a reputation beyond repute///Milan has a reputation beyond repute///Milan has a reputation beyond repute///Milan has a reputation beyond repute///Milan has a reputation beyond repute///Milan has a reputation beyond repute///Milan has a reputation beyond repute///Milan has a reputation beyond repute
Do you look like this?

Old 01-07-2009, 12:44 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Overtaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond repute
A background check for a .22?

Old 01-07-2009, 02:19 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of
It all depends. Nothing you can do about it.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:47 AM
Teamspeed Pro
CarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond repute
I wouldn't put too much thought into this if you truly have a clean record w/ nothing outstanding. There are a million reasons, some as simple as we have too many requests right now, on why you could get flagged for a background check.

Old 01-07-2009, 10:42 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Yonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond repute
It alsocould have been the time of day that caused the delay due to an overload on the servers/phone lines. Alot of people are buying...

But as everyone has said, if no there is no past history of DUI/Mental Illness/History of Violence... you should be fine. Will probably even be called today regarding it. I have been reading lately that a 5 hour delay is happening to people.

Wilson

Quick Reply: Update: TRIED to get my first gun today