Notices
The Team Speed Shooting Range The Guns, Ammunition, and General Personal Protection Discussion Forum.

Update: TRIED to get my first gun today

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 11:02 PM
Teamspeed Member
Kraftwerk has a reputation beyond reputeKraftwerk has a reputation beyond reputeKraftwerk has a reputation beyond reputeKraftwerk has a reputation beyond reputeKraftwerk has a reputation beyond reputeKraftwerk has a reputation beyond reputeKraftwerk has a reputation beyond reputeKraftwerk has a reputation beyond reputeKraftwerk has a reputation beyond reputeKraftwerk has a reputation beyond reputeKraftwerk has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ROD
My friend purchased an 8mm Mauser from Big 5 without the waiting period. I remember looking at a Russian rifle in Big 5 and it was also exempt. Is there a waiting period for those old WWII era rifles in your state?
I'm not sure. I checked out an antique & modern store while shopping around but didn't inquire about any guns, mainly because my budget is rather low (college student). They did have some sweet M1 Garands and M1A1 carbines as well as one of those Mauser C96 pistols that looks like Han Solo's gun. Looks like this, with the stock and all, I think it was like $5k+

Old 01-08-2009, 12:31 AM
Teamspeed Pro
TUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by stuka
It could be worse, your records could be clean and you still have to wait 10 days because the state of CA demands it.

So yeah, all of you who live in CA, if you thought you can go buy a gun when SHTF, WRONG. You would be very very screwed, because guess what? Even if they are burning down your store right this minute, and you passed the background check, you still have to wait 10 days.
So dumb...and you can only buy a new gun every 30 days but you can do a private party transfer as often as you like...cause, you know, only the new guns kill people...so lame...

Old 01-08-2009, 02:25 AM
ROD
Teamspeed Senior Member
ROD has a reputation beyond reputeROD has a reputation beyond reputeROD has a reputation beyond reputeROD has a reputation beyond reputeROD has a reputation beyond reputeROD has a reputation beyond reputeROD has a reputation beyond reputeROD has a reputation beyond reputeROD has a reputation beyond reputeROD has a reputation beyond reputeROD has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Kraftwerk
I'm not sure. I checked out an antique & modern store while shopping around but didn't inquire about any guns, mainly because my budget is rather low (college student). They did have some sweet M1 Garands and M1A1 carbines as well as one of those Mauser C96 pistols that looks like Han Solo's gun. Looks like this, with the stock and all, I think it was like $5k+
M1s are expensive now. You used to be able to buy one for $99.00 back in the 90's. You can get other "old" rifles for a lot less. My friend's Mauser was about $100.00.

Check out these prices (not the lowest pricing, but look at the quality). I'm not suggesting you buy one, but it will give you an idea of how cheap these old rifles can be. I know you have your sights set on a .22, so this is just FYI.
Google search yielded this:
More Russian captured German 98k's from EMPIRE ARMS
The word Nazi is used to describe the rifles. Mods, please remove the link if it violates the rules of this forum.

Old 01-08-2009, 12:56 PM
Ant
Stupid threads FTW.
Ant has a reputation beyond reputeAnt has a reputation beyond reputeAnt has a reputation beyond reputeAnt has a reputation beyond reputeAnt has a reputation beyond reputeAnt has a reputation beyond reputeAnt has a reputation beyond reputeAnt has a reputation beyond reputeAnt has a reputation beyond reputeAnt has a reputation beyond reputeAnt has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by quickZohsix
My girlfriends brother just bought a brand new AK47. First time buyer. Called it in, relayed the info, and the confirmed. Took less than 5 minutes. Weird situation for you
Exactly.

I bought an SKS at Cabella's over the weekend.

Paperwork cleared in 5 mins.

Weird!

Old 01-08-2009, 02:53 PM
Teamspeed Pro
miboxer96 has a reputation beyond reputemiboxer96 has a reputation beyond reputemiboxer96 has a reputation beyond reputemiboxer96 has a reputation beyond reputemiboxer96 has a reputation beyond reputemiboxer96 has a reputation beyond reputemiboxer96 has a reputation beyond reputemiboxer96 has a reputation beyond reputemiboxer96 has a reputation beyond reputemiboxer96 has a reputation beyond reputemiboxer96 has a reputation beyond repute
To show solidarity with your plight, I think I'm going to go buy a piece right now, then post pics....

Be right back.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:34 PM
Teamspeed Member
Kraftwerk has a reputation beyond reputeKraftwerk has a reputation beyond reputeKraftwerk has a reputation beyond reputeKraftwerk has a reputation beyond reputeKraftwerk has a reputation beyond reputeKraftwerk has a reputation beyond reputeKraftwerk has a reputation beyond reputeKraftwerk has a reputation beyond reputeKraftwerk has a reputation beyond reputeKraftwerk has a reputation beyond reputeKraftwerk has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ROD
M1s are expensive now. You used to be able to buy one for $99.00 back in the 90's. You can get other "old" rifles for a lot less. My friend's Mauser was about $100.00.

Check out these prices (not the lowest pricing, but look at the quality). I'm not suggesting you buy one, but it will give you an idea of how cheap these old rifles can be. I know you have your sights set on a .22, so this is just FYI.
Google search yielded this:
More Russian captured German 98k's from EMPIRE ARMS
The word Nazi is used to describe the rifles. Mods, please remove the link if it violates the rules of this forum.
Those 98Ks are pretty slick. Any idea what type of round do they shoot?

Old 01-08-2009, 09:35 PM
Teamspeed Member
Originally Posted by miboxer96
To show solidarity with your plight, I think I'm going to go buy a piece right now, then post pics....

Be right back.
Hope it works out! I understand a gun is a gun but I still can't believe it's this much trouble over a .22!

P.S. Still waiting to hear back...

Old 01-08-2009, 10:31 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
Loki1911 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Loki1911 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Loki1911 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Loki1911 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Loki1911 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Loki1911 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Loki1911 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Loki1911 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Loki1911 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Loki1911 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Loki1911 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
I'm not sure. I checked out an antique & modern store while shopping around but didn't inquire about any guns, mainly because my budget is rather low (college student).
Man I know its tough... But its perfectly acceptable to give up food, deodorant and TP to afford a new gun

Old 01-09-2009, 05:51 PM
ROD
Teamspeed Senior Member
ROD has a reputation beyond reputeROD has a reputation beyond reputeROD has a reputation beyond reputeROD has a reputation beyond reputeROD has a reputation beyond reputeROD has a reputation beyond reputeROD has a reputation beyond reputeROD has a reputation beyond reputeROD has a reputation beyond reputeROD has a reputation beyond reputeROD has a reputation beyond repute
Those 98Ks are pretty slick. Any idea what type of round do they shoot?
I believe they shoot 8mm, but I could be wrong. My friend's kicks like a mule and has a metal butt.

Last edited by ROD; 01-10-2009 at 03:03 PM.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:08 AM
Teamspeed Member
I got the call back yesterday afternoon and everything was squared away. I'm a proud new owner of my first gun, while it's not much, it will be great for learning how to shoot, then I'll move up to something with some stopping power.

If anyone cares to see it, I'll probably post pictures and video whenever I can take it to the range.

Quick Reply: Update: TRIED to get my first gun today