Notices
Supercars Bugatti, Koenigsegg, Zonda, Venom GT, & More Discussion Forum.

Pagani Huayra Top Gear (Spoiler Alert)

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 05:15 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
mattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ABK
Nice check out worldcarfans.com congrats mattjs33 ur the sherlock holmes of teamspeed
Thank you very much sir!

Old 02-27-2013, 05:18 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
mattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by YTaka
Pagani got caught and they are trying to cover it up.

You can't turn a racing slick into a street legal tire but cutting tread into it. The compound and radials are not road legal.

It's funny how Pagani gets caught, and all they have to do is make a statement. Why not just send some proof to end this once and for all? It's because they don't have any and they're hoping that because their Pagani, people will just trust them.

Think about it, if they lied about this, why do you think they would just tell the truth all of a sudden?

Modified Zonda R slick, lmfao.
I'm with ya buddy. Gotta get back to work here though. Anyway after this I'm exhausted.

Old 02-27-2013, 05:22 PM
F yeah!!! tit got me a silver bar..
La Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond repute
I think they would..you would be surprised to learn how nice the People at Pagani Automobili are..

Never been received with such open arms by a hyper car company ( hell by any car company period).
Truly generous and nice

Im looking forward to what else you pull out of your hat

Old 02-27-2013, 05:23 PM
La Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by YTaka
Pagani got caught and they are trying to cover it up.

You can't turn a racing slick into a street legal tire but cutting tread into it. The compound and radials are not road legal.

It's funny how Pagani gets caught, and all they have to do is make a statement. Why not just send some proof to end this once and for all? It's because they don't have any and they're hoping that because their Pagani, people will just trust them.

Think about it, if they lied about this, why do you think they would just tell the truth all of a sudden?

Modified Zonda R slick, lmfao.
Like i said you can either choose to trust what they say or not.
You obviously do not.

Sounds like you know what goes in to making a tire road legal.

Educated us please

Old 02-27-2013, 05:41 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
Sunny is on a distinguished roadSunny is on a distinguished roadSunny is on a distinguished roadSunny is on a distinguished roadSunny is on a distinguished roadSunny is on a distinguished road
Brilliant work Matt.

I am still not sure why Pagani is claiming those are Pirelli Trofeo tires? The tread patterns definitely don't match, but more importantly Trofeo tires use normal street tire notations - http://www.pirelli.com/tyre/ww/en/ca...ofeo.tab?tab=8

Also I don't see any tire wear indicator pits on the Trofeo.

Last edited by Sunny; 02-27-2013 at 05:42 PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:01 PM
^Like i told you at our other home..

They just confirmed its the Zonda R tire modified

Read a few pages back

Old 02-27-2013, 07:23 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
streetrod454 has much to be proud ofstreetrod454 has much to be proud ofstreetrod454 has much to be proud ofstreetrod454 has much to be proud ofstreetrod454 has much to be proud ofstreetrod454 has much to be proud ofstreetrod454 has much to be proud ofstreetrod454 has much to be proud ofstreetrod454 has much to be proud ofstreetrod454 has much to be proud ofstreetrod454 has much to be proud of
Look I make no bones about it I am Pagani fan, in fact the factory invited me to the launch of the Huayra, I was very flattered. (I still prefer the Zonda by the way)

But what happens know, Will TG comment on these accusations on Sundays show and will Pagani offer to re-run the car on standard tyres?

I know Mr Pagani will be most displeased with this whole thing, I do wonder if he had any knowledge of what actually went on as the car would have been handled by the PR and test team, we wait and see

Old 02-27-2013, 07:56 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
Sunny is on a distinguished roadSunny is on a distinguished roadSunny is on a distinguished roadSunny is on a distinguished roadSunny is on a distinguished roadSunny is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by The Artist
^Like i told you at our other home..
^Yes . In the interest of not repeating myself, I will just continue here...

What is not clear to me is how is that modified Zonda R tire street legal? To the best of my knowledge, street legal tires have to have the ISO tire codes - Tire code - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, which besides tire size also includes other vital information like the load index and the speed rating. Both of which seems missing from the Pagani tires in question. BTW Here are some enlarged images of the those tires -

ps. Once again, awesome job Matt, and not just the investigative part, but also presenting your case clearly and dispassionately.

Last edited by Sunny; 02-27-2013 at 08:04 PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:07 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Originally Posted by streetrod454
But what happens know, Will TG comment on these accusations on Sundays show and will Pagani offer to re-run the car on standard tyres?

I know Mr Pagani will be most displeased with this whole thing, I do wonder if he had any knowledge of what actually went on as the car would have been handled by the PR and test team, we wait and see
I think Pagani handled it about as well as they could have given the circumstances. As the evidence mounted and the number of people asking grew, they simply had to make a statement. In that statement they confirmed what I've suspected for some time.

However the feeble explanation that followed should strike anyone who has watched this story develop as a little difficult to give credence to. On Pagani's website they (still) state that the Huayra wears the PZero in sizes 255/35ZR-19 and 335/30ZR-20, and not that there are three different tire choices available to the Huayra purchaser. If in fact there are three different choices of tires and they've been keeping this information to themselves, that's their perogative, but the timing of the release of this information is highly curious, at best.

To me the notion that the Power Lap tires are some sort of special Trofeo PZero rings pretty hollow at this point. Really though I don't know what else they could have said. Everyone comes out feeling a little satisfied, but some perhaps just a little sullied as well.

But no matter. I too am curious as to what the TG response will be, but you will have to report to us in the States, we get the show a week late!

I am most interested however, in Jalopnik's phantom press writer, as quoted in their version of the story:

Another journalist that has had experience with the same car told me this:

Those tires are hand-cut Zonda R tyres and the evidence is really clear all around. Hammond definitely drove on the normal PZero road tyres also used in the press release photos, like any journalist. You can easily see it in the video Jalopnik posted at 7:36 when the camera does a fly-over. They later replaced the tyres for the Zonda R tyres, which had to be pre-cut by Pirelli with just one purpose “set a fast lap time”. There is simply no other reasonable stories behind it. I also had a go in the Huayra together with the test driver and when we drove it, it definitely had the PZero road tyres fitted. Similar to Hammond’s, and any other journalist reviewing it. Perhaps it was not so smart to swap tyres, because the major difference in lap time between the Ariel Atom V8 and the Huayra proved to be rather suspicious. All they have to do now is come up with a proper response, not one we easily shoot holes in.

Was this man present at the test, or is this merely his guess based on what he's read here? As I said before, there were a LOT of people involved, and a lot of people there that day. Unless one of those people is willing to step forward and offer up something more, we might never know the real intent or origin of the idea of putting those tires on the Huayra.

One last thing -- I've done some preliminary checking, and indications are that there is indeed an industry standard on sizing designations for road-legal light vehicle tires. I found this on ETRTO site; further explanations of these requires purchase of an expensive handbook of sorts. It also appears this is the case here in the U.S., as per the NHTSA through the RTA.

Watch this space.

Last edited by mattjs33; 02-27-2013 at 08:17 PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:19 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
Originally Posted by mattjs33
One last thing -- I've done some preliminary checking, and indications are that there is indeed an industry standard on sizing designations for road light vehicle tires. I found this on ETRTO site; further eplanations of these requires purchase of an expensive handbook of sorts. It also appears this is the case here in the U.S., as per the NHTSA through the RTA.

Watch this space.
The Canadians have their standard online - CanLII - Motor Vehicle Tire Safety Regulations, 1995, SOR/95-148

Quick Reply: Pagani Huayra Top Gear (Spoiler Alert)