Notices
Supercars Bugatti, Koenigsegg, Zonda, Venom GT, & More Discussion Forum.

Breaking News: McLaren tweaks MP4-12C

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 05:19 PM
Teamspeed Member
FerrariWF is an unknown quantity at this point
Props to McLaren that's definitely a good move on their part. I can't wait for these to come to the states.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:32 PM
Teamspeed Pro
RFFG has a brilliant futureRFFG has a brilliant futureRFFG has a brilliant futureRFFG has a brilliant futureRFFG has a brilliant futureRFFG has a brilliant futureRFFG has a brilliant futureRFFG has a brilliant futureRFFG has a brilliant futureRFFG has a brilliant futureRFFG has a brilliant future
Cool.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:02 PM
Teamspeed Pro
PMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond repute
I'm thrilled that McLaren are handling the issue this way. Given the type of person who would work for McLaren, in any type of role that would present feedback to the engineers, I wouldn't expect many comments along the lines of 'Yes, it's very fast, but I want to be able to hoon about a bit more...' to make it into part of the development process. These guys are all about making the car perfect. Perfection means different things to different people, and now that their baby is out in the real world, with a wider audience, they're simply redefining 'perfect' in light of the feedback. None of these changes appear to be more than some software changes for the induction flaps and throttle map, and a changing out the switches inside the paddles.

Personally, I think it was a mistake to go with forced induction in the first place. Yes, you can get more power from a lighter engine, and the emissions are better, but if they were trying to dethrone Ferrari, they completely overlooked the sonic component of the emotional appeal of a car. But, once that design decision was made, their execution appears to have been among the best, and I wonder if that was planned in keeping with the return to turbo engines in F1. Either way, it's tough to make a turbo engine sound as good as a Ferrari V8, or pack the kind of instant throttle response that is responsible for some of that emotional appeal.

Compare this response with the way BMW handled criticism of iDrive...

Old 07-20-2011, 11:52 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Overtaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond repute
^All that trouble and the 458 is still faster. I wouldn't be surprised if the MP4-12C is faster around the Nurburgring though.

Maybe the aftermarket can help with the exhaust note. The F40 still manages to sound good, especially with aftermarket exhausts.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:09 AM
Teamspeed Member
Ynot You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Ynot You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Ynot You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Ynot You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Ynot You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Ynot You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Ynot You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Ynot You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Ynot You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Ynot You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Ynot You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
I'm surprised McLaren got such negative press, didn't Lewis Hamilton helped with the feel and handling of the car. IIRC on top gear or was it 5th gear, he said that the new McLaren is one of the best handling car he has ever driven. So car journalist knows better than Lewis Hamilton or was he afraid to say something bad about McLarn, or does he not know what a sport car should feel like?

Originally Posted by Ludas
Tbh I'm a bit confused myself. In Top Gear JClark did say you could turn it off but if I'm not mistaken in Fifth Gear they said that even with TC off the computers still try to get you back on track when drifting. Considering how often Top Gear has their facts wrong, I'm gonna trust Fifth Gear until further proof is provided.
I would agree with 5th gear, I watched Top Gear for entertainment, many shows are scripted and made up for your enjoyment, besides Stig's track times, I don't trust anything on that show.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:15 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Hill is a name known to allHill is a name known to allHill is a name known to allHill is a name known to allHill is a name known to allHill is a name known to allHill is a name known to allHill is a name known to allHill is a name known to allHill is a name known to allHill is a name known to all
And it's back in the game. . . .

Second round of reviews anyone?

Old 07-21-2011, 04:48 AM
Teamspeed Member
depthofshine is on a distinguished roaddepthofshine is on a distinguished roaddepthofshine is on a distinguished roaddepthofshine is on a distinguished roaddepthofshine is on a distinguished roaddepthofshine is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Ludas
I hoped they were gonna add the possibility to turn off traction control entirely but I guess that was asking too much.
Still good news they are listening to criticism. My guess is they will do a lot more and bigger changes to next years model.
i belive there will be a option in small print in the hand book for this.

Old 07-21-2011, 05:11 AM
Teamspeed Pro
hg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by DJ
From Autocar:

Intake sound generator

Old 07-21-2011, 10:35 AM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by PMac
Compare this response with the way BMW handled criticism of iDrive...
Or the Chris Bangle designs..... barf.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:04 AM
Former Sponsor
ADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond repute
Awesome job McLaren! I can't wait to see how the revised exhaust sounds! Only problem is now that all the major car review shows have filmed it... no one will give it a second chance in production form. Such is life I suppose.

Quick Reply: Breaking News: McLaren tweaks MP4-12C