Notices
Supercars Bugatti, Koenigsegg, Zonda, Venom GT, & More Discussion Forum.

Breaking News: McLaren tweaks MP4-12C

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 05:45 PM
Teamspeed Pro
bdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Ludas
I hoped they were gonna add the possibility to turn off traction control entirely but I guess that was asking too much.
Still good news they are listening to criticism. My guess is they will do a lot more and bigger changes to next years model.
I thought that the traction control could be turned off, it's just a big hassle (from what was shown during Too Gear's review).

Old 07-19-2011, 05:56 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Ludas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bdeitemeyer
I thought that the traction control could be turned off, it's just a big hassle (from what was shown during Too Gear's review).
Tbh I'm a bit confused myself. In Top Gear JClark did say you could turn it off but if I'm not mistaken in Fifth Gear they said that even with TC off the computers still try to get you back on track when drifting. Considering how often Top Gear has their facts wrong, I'm gonna trust Fifth Gear until further proof is provided.

Old 07-19-2011, 06:02 PM
Teamspeed Pro
SpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Ludas
Tbh I'm a bit confused myself. In Top Gear JClark did say you could turn it off but if I'm not mistaken in Fifth Gear they said that even with TC off the computers still try to get you back on track when drifting. Considering how often Top Gear has their facts wrong, I'm gonna trust Fifth Gear until further proof is provided.
Thats the problem when the best driver on your show doesn't have a speaking role...

458 still #1, isn't that what it means when a competitor makes changes just to MATCH you?

Old 07-19-2011, 06:49 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
nthusiastt has a spectacular aura aboutnthusiastt has a spectacular aura aboutnthusiastt has a spectacular aura aboutnthusiastt has a spectacular aura aboutnthusiastt has a spectacular aura aboutnthusiastt has a spectacular aura aboutnthusiastt has a spectacular aura aboutnthusiastt has a spectacular aura aboutnthusiastt has a spectacular aura aboutnthusiastt has a spectacular aura aboutnthusiastt has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by sean73T
Saw that coming from a mile away. MClaren is not gonna let Ferrari win.
didn't the 458 beat the mp4-c in track testing?

Old 07-19-2011, 07:31 PM
Des
Teamspeed Rookie
Des is a name known to allDes is a name known to allDes is a name known to allDes is a name known to allDes is a name known to allDes is a name known to allDes is a name known to allDes is a name known to allDes is a name known to allDes is a name known to allDes is a name known to all
Originally Posted by DJ
Great news right? I mean how often does this happen!
In Ferrari's lifetime: never

Old 07-19-2011, 09:03 PM
Its only three o'clock....wtf
JonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by STOPPIE
Angels suck.
^ this

Old 07-19-2011, 09:04 PM
Teamspeed Member
Turbogallardo You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Turbogallardo You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Turbogallardo You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Turbogallardo You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Turbogallardo You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Turbogallardo You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Turbogallardo You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Turbogallardo You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Turbogallardo You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Turbogallardo You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Turbogallardo You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
Good to hear that they are tweaking the car before it reaches the customer's hands. Too bad it took a thrashing by the media to motivate them to do it though, especially since they've been developing this car for years now.

Still, excited as hell to take delivery of this thing.

Old 07-20-2011, 03:29 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
Originally Posted by STOPPIE
Why? Would you rather 2,3 or 4 waves of cars get out there before they start listening to owners?!

This is best case scenario if you ask me!!
That's not it... Usually that suggests some "sloppiness"... Why weren't they addressed before, and how come they got addressed and executed so quickly? What about testing? Expectation from McLaren is a PERFECT car from the get go, especially after so much hype and being absent for so long... What is to prevent more mods in a month, or two, or three! How would initial owners feel then! I know I'm being anal, but this is McLaren...

Old 07-20-2011, 08:52 AM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
From Autocar:

The first McLaren MP4-12Cs to reach customers this week will come with a raft of changes designed to bolster the “emotional appeal” of the new £168,500 supercar.

McLaren has been stung by criticism from the car’s press launch. Almost all the world’s major automotive press, including Autocar, placed the MP4-12C below the Ferrari 458 Italia in tests because it lacked the aural drama and sense of occasion to match its pace and dynamic ability.

Chief among the changes are an improved throttle response and a “fruitier” exhaust note. A McLaren spokesman said these were changes that had been planned anyway, but the press criticism — and McLaren’s “Formula 1 mentality” — had “upped the pace” of development.

“We want drivers to enjoy the car a bit more,” he said. “The changes don’t lead to any performance increase, but they do lead to an emotional increase when you drive the car.”

The changes apply only when the MP4-12C is in Track mode. Many of the tweaks are to the car’s Intake Sound Generator, which controls the amount of noise coming from the engine bay into the cabin. A tube containing a butterfly valve runs from the engine’s plenum chamber to the cabin. The valve now opens wider in Track mode.

“It was a bit too sensible before,” said the spokesman, “You won’t notice the changes in normal mode, just when you’re really having fun and pushing it.”

Old 07-20-2011, 04:21 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by marakji
That's not it... Usually that suggests some "sloppiness"... Why weren't they addressed before, and how come they got addressed and executed so quickly? What about testing? Expectation from McLaren is a PERFECT car from the get go, especially after so much hype and being absent for so long... What is to prevent more mods in a month, or two, or three! How would initial owners feel then! I know I'm being anal, but this is McLaren...
Did you even bother to read the changes they made? NONE of the changes had ANYTHING to do with a quality issue. ZERO.

They had to do with enhancing the McLaren experience with the car. The fact that they reacted so quickly and it makes you nervous- I'd say maybe you should consider a car company that would rather push a product out and WAIT for the bitching and moaning to force their hand until they make the changes.

Take it at face value- they're a great company who gives a fvck.

Quick Reply: Breaking News: McLaren tweaks MP4-12C