Notices
Sports NBA, NHL, NCAA, NFL, MLB, PGA & More at The Teamspeed Sports Forum.

Tell me about boxing gloves, need recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 02:01 AM
Super Super Super Member!
Super D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond repute
Tell me about boxing gloves, need recommendations

I don't know the differences between gloves, so I'm looking online to see what I can learn. I have 12 oz gloves for training already, but need 16 oz for sparring.

Which gloves are best and why?

Thanks,

Dave

Old 12-31-2010, 02:45 AM
Ara
Teamspeed Pro
Ara has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond repute
I just picked up a couple of sets of Top King gloves and shin pads. They are very well made. Better than the Pro Boxing and Top Ten stuff ive had. Check out the reviews online. I'll probably sell the extra set if you are interested.

Old 12-31-2010, 03:18 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
The best I have used are Grant and Fairtex.

I love the entire Fairtex line of boxing equipment - especially their elastic hand wraps.

Check Fairtex out here: Fairtex.com - The Official Fairtex Homepage And Online Store.

Check out Grand here: grantboxing.com

Old 12-31-2010, 04:28 AM
Banned
SoCal is an unknown quantity at this point
Fairtex 16 oz'ers. Your arms will be smoked, but if you ever actually fight in lighter gloves or with your bare fists, you will be very fast.

Old 12-31-2010, 08:55 AM
TEAMSPEED.COM
Stryke has a reputation beyond reputeStryke has a reputation beyond reputeStryke has a reputation beyond reputeStryke has a reputation beyond reputeStryke has a reputation beyond reputeStryke has a reputation beyond reputeStryke has a reputation beyond reputeStryke has a reputation beyond reputeStryke has a reputation beyond reputeStryke has a reputation beyond reputeStryke has a reputation beyond repute
I have gone through countless pairs. At the end of the day they need to be comfortable so you want to try some on locally if possible. Make sure they are real leather as it helps minimize cuts. I spar with 14oz but 16oz are common too. I just find them to be too bulky. My personal favorite sparring gloves are the Everlast Protex 3. They are pricy but have built in hand wraps and are super comfortable. I got mine locally at Paragon.

Everlast Protex 3 Training Glove - 16 oz - ParagonSports.com

If you want to get a real technical workout you can also spar in 4oz MMA gloves because they fit through hands when someone is blocking and give you a more realistic session as opposed to just boxing where the gloves are too bulky to break a defense. Only thing is with MMA gloves go VERY light or you will end up with a KO, broken jaw or nose.

For wraps, make sure you get the 180" mexican. NOT the 108" American. The mexican wraps are much more elastic and also long enough to wrap through each knuckle. I really only use them when training on the speed bag since the Protex don't require wraps.

Hope this helps a bit.

Old 12-31-2010, 11:36 AM
Super D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks guys! I'll try on some locally for sure to make sure whatever I get fits properly. I'm sort of surprised there aren't glove sizes. Is that strange to you? How could someone with a monstrous hand wear the same as a smaller guy using the same weight glove?

Gil, how does the internal hand wrap work? Have you tried inner gloves of any kind? If so, how do you like them vs regular wraps? I've got 108" elastic wraps, and learned how to wrap from a MT guy, different from other wrapping I've seen, seems to work well.

Truth be told I really don't like wearing boxing gloves, puts my hand in an unnatural position. Boxing gloves don't allow me to wrap my thumb into the fist tight like normal, just never feels right. (Plus the unnatural size like Gil mentioned, so you can't punch through a defense.) I spar and do bag work with open hand/finger TKD hand pads and 4oz MMA gloves, allows a proper fist and also protects the thumb better, IMO due to positioning. I've torn a thumb ligament before, and the boxing glove feels like it puts more stress on the thumb because I can't make it part of a tight fist. I'm only getting boxing gloves because I'm starting some boxing and MT training.

Old 12-31-2010, 11:37 AM
Originally Posted by Ara
I just picked up a couple of sets of Top King gloves and shin pads. They are very well made. Better than the Pro Boxing and Top Ten stuff ive had. Check out the reviews online. I'll probably sell the extra set if you are interested.
I'd better try gloves on and buy down here, but I appreciate the offer, thank you.

What do you find to be the important differences in the ones you have now vs others?

Old 12-31-2010, 11:38 AM
Originally Posted by Barrister
The best I have used are Grant and Fairtex.

I love the entire Fairtex line of boxing equipment - especially their elastic hand wraps.

Check Fairtex out here: Fairtex.com - The Official Fairtex Homepage And Online Store.

Check out Grand here: grantboxing.com

Do you use velcro wrap or lace?

Old 12-31-2010, 12:34 PM
TEAMSPEED.COM
Stryke has a reputation beyond reputeStryke has a reputation beyond reputeStryke has a reputation beyond reputeStryke has a reputation beyond reputeStryke has a reputation beyond reputeStryke has a reputation beyond reputeStryke has a reputation beyond reputeStryke has a reputation beyond reputeStryke has a reputation beyond reputeStryke has a reputation beyond reputeStryke has a reputation beyond repute
Dave, I just made a short video on the wraps I use and how I like to wrap. I will post it here for you in a few minutes when youtube is done processing it. Slow day, New Years Eve, bored, why not?

Here you go, Dave:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vu-I5fUDE0A

Last edited by Stryke; 12-31-2010 at 12:37 PM.
Old 12-31-2010, 02:22 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
Gil's video is perfect.

I am no boxing expert. I just love the sport and have dabbled a bit in it.

Gil is an expert.

Quick Reply: Tell me about boxing gloves, need recommendations