Notices
Sports NBA, NHL, NCAA, NFL, MLB, PGA & More at The Teamspeed Sports Forum.

NFL: 2 Team World Barnstorming Tour?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 12:11 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Bodhii has much to be proud ofBodhii has much to be proud ofBodhii has much to be proud ofBodhii has much to be proud ofBodhii has much to be proud ofBodhii has much to be proud ofBodhii has much to be proud ofBodhii has much to be proud ofBodhii has much to be proud ofBodhii has much to be proud ofBodhii has much to be proud of
NFL: 2 Team World Barnstorming Tour?

The concept

Build two teams that become the ambassadors of the NFL and sell the game around the world while NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell and NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith figure out the next collective bargaining agreement. Build an eight-game schedule that might create more worldwide interest in the NFL than sending two teams to London every year. Kick off the season with a four-week European schedule starting on Sept. 11 in London, Sept. 18 in Berlin, Sept. 25 in Paris and Oct. 2 in Rome (you could substitute another German city, or maybe Amsterdam or Barcelona). Then both teams could take a week off before the second phase of the tour, which picks up in Mexico City on Oct. 16, Honolulu on Oct. 23 (Hawaii lost the Pro Bowl in 2010, but this might be more exciting), Tokyo on Oct. 30 and Sydney on Nov. 6..
An interesting idea. I think NFL football is the best TV team sport in the World, and would love to see it become a worldwide success. Who wouldn't like to see Team Moskow battle the New York Giants for a hard fought world title? Maybe someday!

A worldwide barnstorming tour could be a win-win for everyone

Keys to the plan:

1) Hire two head coaches, guys like Jon Gruden and Mike Shanahan, to head up two teams of world ambassadors. If they aren't interested, I'm sure guys like Marty Schottenheimer, Dan Reeves, Don Shula and others would love the opportunity.

2) Offer the top 100 out-of-work players the opportunity to join one of the two 50-men rosters that will play an eight-game schedule against each other around the world. While some players will respectfully decline to participate, there are another 100 waiting for the chance. Wait until you see the players who could join these teams.
Global swarming
Until the NFL adopts Pat Kirwan's idea of having two teams of unemployed NFL veterans touring the world, the league's top ambassador might be Dhani Jones. More ...

3) The NFL wants to sell the game around the world, in part so it can help deliver the salary compensation and years toward the coaches' pension. The league will also be excited to see the revenue streams available and the potential to grab a veteran player at the end of the world tour. I see the games being played on Friday nights, so stateside fans can get a chance to see their favorite older stars. Don't you think fans would love to see Marvin Harrison catching passes from Trent Green? Or Donnie Edwards tackling Shaun Alexander?

4) Set up a three-week training camp for both teams starting on Aug. 1 at one site (Orlando, Honolulu or Los Angeles would work). Finish preseason camp with a preseason game for each team against an NFL team in the last week of the preseason. The fourth week of the preseason is about as boring as it gets in the NFL, but these games would provide great interest. Imagine if a team full of guys who were told their time has come in the NFL put a whipping on a real team?

5) Here's an eight-game schedule that might create more worldwide interest in the NFL than sending two teams to London every year. Kick off the season with a four-week European schedule starting on Sept. 11 in London, Sept. 18 in Berlin, Sept. 25 in Paris and Oct. 2 in Rome (you could substitute another German city, or maybe Amsterdam or Barcelona). Then both teams could take a week off before the second phase of the tour, which picks up in Mexico City on Oct. 16, Honolulu on Oct. 23 (Hawaii lost the Pro Bowl in 2010, but this might be more exciting), Tokyo on Oct. 30 and Sydney on Nov. 6.

6) The players are home by Nov. 9 and NFL teams would be free to sign them for the second half of their season and the playoffs. Most out-of-work veterans know if they get to November and don't get the call, their careers are over. This world tour would keep them in football shape and might remind some general managers that they still have what it takes to win in the NFL.

Worldwide fans would recognize the players on these teams, especially if they wore the helmets of the teams they played for in the NFL -- just like in the Pro Bowl.

Last edited by Bodhii; 05-12-2009 at 12:15 PM.
Old 05-12-2009, 05:11 PM
M44
Teamspeed Member
M44 has a reputation beyond reputeM44 has a reputation beyond reputeM44 has a reputation beyond reputeM44 has a reputation beyond reputeM44 has a reputation beyond reputeM44 has a reputation beyond reputeM44 has a reputation beyond reputeM44 has a reputation beyond reputeM44 has a reputation beyond reputeM44 has a reputation beyond reputeM44 has a reputation beyond repute
In my opinion, NFL Football is, and should be, an American Sport. Many Europeans and Latin Americans do not get the point of "our" football. In fact I have talked to an Englishman, at Union Station in Washington D.C.last year and he says he thinks it is way more violent than "real" football, aka soccer. My uncle came over from Cuba back about 10 years ago, he likes football, but he says many Cubans hate it. Now obviously these may be exceptions, but I think that we, as Americans, have baseball, basketball, and football, and Europe has Soccer (although it is worldwide), rugby, and polo. I think NFL version 2 would be a tough sell to most of the rest of the world. I do think it might be interesting to have a team or two come into the league from Canada and Mexico, but I don't think football is jumping over the Atlantic too quickly.