Notices
Sports NBA, NHL, NCAA, NFL, MLB, PGA & More at The Teamspeed Sports Forum.

Sporting moments you will never forget

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 04:40 PM
Teamspeed Pro
All We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond repute
Sporting moments you will never forget

Post your favorite, neck hair raising sports moments, or those terrible results you will never forget and an explanation of why. Here's a couple of mine that I can think of right away:

One of favorite moments was when I was first getting into F1. I had started watching in the 1996 season and didnt really have a favorite driver at the time. In the 1997 (I think, it was a while ago now) GP at Spa in Belgium it was a typically rainy race day. Schumacher was 3rd on the grid after qualifying, which had been in the dry. Until this race I had been indifferent to Schuey, I knew he was good, but there hadn't been that defining sports moment when you just know that you will support someone no matter what. Anyway, the race starts and after the first lap the positions were as they started. During the second lap though, Schumacher passes whoever was second at the time, it was a pretty uneventful pass. All the while Villenueve had been putting some decent distance between 2nd and 3rd place. All of a sudden Schumacher is just driving out of skin and one of the commentators starts hyping up his wet track skills. By the end of lap 2 as they are approaching the hairpin near the pits Schumacher has gained up all the time and darts to the inside of Villeneuve, passing him on the inside of the hairpin, then accelerating away out of the turn. The commentator who had been hyping him for the last minute yells out "Now your watching a master at work" as he began to pull away. Ever since that moment I was an MS and Ferrari fan

My worst moment was John Terry missing a penalty in the Chanpions League against Man U, it broke my heart.

Old 03-16-2009, 04:48 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
jayboat has a reputation beyond reputejayboat has a reputation beyond reputejayboat has a reputation beyond reputejayboat has a reputation beyond reputejayboat has a reputation beyond reputejayboat has a reputation beyond reputejayboat has a reputation beyond reputejayboat has a reputation beyond reputejayboat has a reputation beyond reputejayboat has a reputation beyond reputejayboat has a reputation beyond repute
Kirk Gibson's home run against Oakland in the '88 World Series.

I have never been electrified as much before or since by any moment in sports.

2nd place would be any of Mike Tyson's first round knockouts when he was bombin the world.

Old 03-16-2009, 04:50 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
This is BY FAR the worst moment in sports for me . . .

YouTube - Michael Jordan's Final Shot

Old 03-16-2009, 04:55 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute
I think mine was when Hagler beat Hearns, that boxing match was unreal

Old 03-16-2009, 05:25 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Craigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond repute
I can;t find a video so I'll let espn tell the story....

Originally Posted by ESPN
THE MOMENT
Ninth inning, Game 6, 1993 World Series, Toronto SkyDome.
The Toronto Blue Jays, vying for their second straight World Series championship, lead the Fall Classic, 3 games to 2, but trail the Philadelphia Phillies 6-5, following the Phillies' five-run seventh inning that included Lenny Dykstra's three-run homer. The Phillies and their fans have visions of a Game 7 as the game heads to the ninth, but those visions become blurred when reliever Mitch "Wild Thing" Williams races in from the bullpen.
Williams' presence often leads to disastrous results, just like in Game 4, when he helped blow a 14-9 lead as Toronto won 15-14. Williams is wild whether he's "on" or not. He so often found himself in full-count situations that he jokingly named his spacious Texas residence the "3 & 2 Ranch." So it's hardly a surprise when Williams walks Blue Jays leadoff batter Rickey Henderson on four straight pitches to open the bottom of the ninth. If Williams is going to nail down this save, as he did 43 times during the regular season, it is going to be typically hairy and adventurous.
Standing in the dugout, ready to walk out to the on-deck circle, Blue Jays cleanup man Joe Carter is juiced, knowing Henderson's presence at first base will force Williams to use a slide step, rather than his high leg kick, which reduces his velocity.
Williams faces Devon White is a nine-pitch battle, finally getting White to fly out to left field, with Henderson remaining at first base. The next hitter, Paul Molitor, has already homered and tripled in the game and is hitting nearly .500 in the Series. Williams' velocity creeps up to 90-91 mph as he runs the count to 1-1, but then Molitor drills a single to center. Henderson comes to a screeching halt, putting runners on first and second. The crowd rises. The rally is on.
Up steps Carter, one of baseball's greatest RBI producers. But Williams also knows that one pitch, one groundball, one double play, and the Series is tied 3-3.
He hopes to get Carter to bite and hit a hard grounder somewhere. Williams' first two pitches are both out of the strike zone, the first one down, the second up and away. Williams battles back to a 2-2 count after throwing a vicious 2-1 slider that Carter swings and misses, looking poor on the hack.
Williams unleashes his next pitch: a fastball on the inside portion of the plate. He intends for it to be high and away. Instead, because his release point is off, the ball sails down and in. "I jerked it so bad that it looked like a slider," Williams would say later to the press.
As the ball approaches the plate, Carter uncoils, takes a prodigious cut and connects with his classic power swing. The ball explodes off his bat, toward the left-field stands and foul pole.
The baseball world follows the flight of the ball, wondering if it has the distance, the trajectory and the arc to stay fair. Carter races up the first-base line, eyeing the flight of the ball, watching, wondering ...
"Ninety-nine times out of 100," Carter would say later, "I hook that pitch way foul."
But this is No. 100. Somehow the ball hooks to the right and screams into the left-field stands, the baseball gods blessing one man, destroying another.
The ball disappears over the left-field wall, turning a 6-5 deficit into an 8-5 World Series victory. When Carter sees the ball is gone, he jubilantly leaps to the heavens. As he reaches first base, he throws his helmet up in the sky, throws his arms up, and dances along the bases.
was pretty great for my hero to score in 2nd (I thought it was 3rd) OT
YouTube - Steve Yzerman scores in 2nd OT!

of recent memory...scoring with 5 seconds left to force OT
YouTube - Eberle Ties The Game - Canada vs. Russia - World Juniors - Jan 3 09

Qtr Finals of IIHF U-20 this year vs USA
YouTube - Canada vs USA IIHF World Junior Championship 2009 Highlights
Semi Finals vs Russia
YouTube - World Juniors Canada vs Russia 2009

Old 03-16-2009, 05:56 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
2007 ALMS GT2 finish at the 12 Hours of Sebring:

YouTube - 2007 12 Hours of Sebring
I was actually there in person at Sebring (right at Turn 10 or "Cunningham Corner" for those who know the track) and it was simply incredible to watch! I'm still surprised Flying Lizard didn't take the win that night.

And the 2008 Brazilian GP where Hamilton won the WDC:

YouTube - F1 Brazilian Gp 08 Final Laps

Last edited by Alzilla; 03-16-2009 at 06:32 PM.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:15 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Guest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond repute
+1 for Hamilton and the WDC.

Others:

Dalmas flipping the Porsche 911 GT1 at Road Atlanta - was standing right in front of it.

F1 at Belgium in 1998 - torrential rain, chaotic start, 45 minute delay restart, Schu rear ends Coulthard, pitlane shoving match ensues

F1 at Hungary in 1998 - epic, dynamic drive from Schuey

Oh, and Ohio State losing to real football teams every January.

Old 03-16-2009, 06:29 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
ttowsontt has a brilliant futurettowsontt has a brilliant futurettowsontt has a brilliant futurettowsontt has a brilliant futurettowsontt has a brilliant futurettowsontt has a brilliant futurettowsontt has a brilliant futurettowsontt has a brilliant futurettowsontt has a brilliant futurettowsontt has a brilliant futurettowsontt has a brilliant future
cal ripken breaking gehrig's record, im a homer i know

Old 03-16-2009, 06:38 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
jayboat has a reputation beyond reputejayboat has a reputation beyond reputejayboat has a reputation beyond reputejayboat has a reputation beyond reputejayboat has a reputation beyond reputejayboat has a reputation beyond reputejayboat has a reputation beyond reputejayboat has a reputation beyond reputejayboat has a reputation beyond reputejayboat has a reputation beyond reputejayboat has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ttowsontt
cal ripken breaking gehrig's record, im a homer i know
I drove 900 miles without a ticket to see the record-tying game. Scalped a ticket (upper level behind 3rd base) when I got there. It was a religious experience.

And I'm agnostic.

Old 03-16-2009, 06:48 PM
TS Detailing Partner l Atlanta
whitlock has a reputation beyond reputewhitlock has a reputation beyond reputewhitlock has a reputation beyond reputewhitlock has a reputation beyond reputewhitlock has a reputation beyond reputewhitlock has a reputation beyond reputewhitlock has a reputation beyond reputewhitlock has a reputation beyond reputewhitlock has a reputation beyond reputewhitlock has a reputation beyond reputewhitlock has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Guest
+1 for Hamilton and the WDC.
+2 there!

I think Schumachers last race in brazil was probably one of the greatest moments in my book. His charge to the front after loosing the left rear tire was some of the best driving ever... if only there were a few more laps left that day.

And for moments I don't remember.... When Baltimore won the Super Bowl I missed class at Towson for over a week. What a party!

A little OT but TTowsonTT.... are you Condax's friend that went with us to Montreal last year???

Quick Reply: Sporting moments you will never forget