Notices
Sports NBA, NHL, NCAA, NFL, MLB, PGA & More at The Teamspeed Sports Forum.

Kobe for MVP

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 05:20 PM
Teamspeed Pro
thedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by fusionstorm
Wow, you have to be a little more objective here. No way in the world that anyone should try and say that the Cavs are better top to bottom than the Lakers. There's a reason why LBJ leads the Cavs in every important statistical category, and it's not b/c he's a ballhog.

I'd take the Lakers starting 5 (even without Bynum) over the Cavs starting 5 without a second thought. I'd also take the Lakers second unit over the Cavs second unit in a heartbeat.
Then I guess the Cavs playing the Eastern conference balances it out. The only other thing I take into consideration is how Kobe has done against the better teams compared to Lebron. And in that category Kobe has shined... most importantly winning the season series against both the Cavs and Celtics.

Let's see how the end of the regular season plays out... but like I said in a earlier post. I really don't care about the MVP, this team is playing for championships.

Go Lakers!

Old 03-17-2009, 07:11 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
fusionstorm has a reputation beyond reputefusionstorm has a reputation beyond reputefusionstorm has a reputation beyond reputefusionstorm has a reputation beyond reputefusionstorm has a reputation beyond reputefusionstorm has a reputation beyond reputefusionstorm has a reputation beyond reputefusionstorm has a reputation beyond reputefusionstorm has a reputation beyond reputefusionstorm has a reputation beyond reputefusionstorm has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by thedude
Then I guess the Cavs playing the Eastern conference balances it out. The only other thing I take into consideration is how Kobe has done against the better teams compared to Lebron. And in that category Kobe has shined... most importantly winning the season series against both the Cavs and Celtics.

Let's see how the end of the regular season plays out... but like I said in a earlier post. I really don't care about the MVP, this team is playing for championships.

Go Lakers!
The gap between the West & East has closed noticeably IMO. Yes, the Top 9 in the West overall are stronger than the Top 9 in the East. But the Top 3 East teams have better records than the #2 West squad, and certainly most everyone considers Cleveland and Boston to be favored over San Antonio (with Orlando vs. San Antonio a tossup). And considering that Orlando swept the series from the Lakers, you can't discount them from the title talk if they emerge from the East.

While the Top 9 in the West are tough, the bottom 6 are worst than every team in the East except the Wizards. So the East isn't quite the cupcake conference it used to be. 6 of the Lakers 13 losses have come to squads from the East, though the Lakers play way less than half their games against the East.

Lebron should win the MVP. I'd say the Lakers are the faves to win the title, though.

Old 03-17-2009, 07:21 PM
Teamspeed Pro
thedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond repute
The gap between the West & East has closed noticeably IMO. Yes, the Top 9 in the West overall are stronger than the Top 9 in the East. But the Top 3 East teams have better records than the #2 West squad, and certainly most everyone considers Cleveland and Boston to be favored over San Antonio (with Orlando vs. San Antonio a tossup). And considering that Orlando swept the series from the Lakers, you can't discount them from the title talk if they emerge from the East.

While the Top 9 in the West are tough, the bottom 6 are worst than every team in the East except the Wizards. So the East isn't quite the cupcake conference it used to be. 6 of the Lakers 13 losses have come to squads from the East, though the Lakers play way less than half their games against the East.

Lebron should win the MVP. I'd say the Lakers are the faves to win the title, though.
Never discounted Orlando. Actually, If Jameer was healthy... they would be my pick to come out of the East.

Old 03-17-2009, 07:35 PM
GLN
Thor Liked My Watch
GLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond repute
I'm surprised by peoples responses on here.

It's an amazing race between Kobe, Lebron, and DWade - however it seems as if most peoples arguments are between Kobe/Lebron.

I don't think there is much of an argument, Dwayne Wade is without a doubt the definition of MVP right now.

Lebron and Kobe are ridiculous too though.

Old 03-17-2009, 08:07 PM
Seriously. Change it.
BigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond repute
Wow, you have to be a little more objective here. No way in the world that anyone should try and say that the Cavs are better top to bottom than the Lakers. There's a reason why LBJ leads the Cavs in every important statistical category, and it's not b/c he's a ballhog.

I'd take the Lakers starting 5 (even without Bynum) over the Cavs starting 5 without a second thought. I'd also take the Lakers second unit over the Cavs second unit in a heartbeat.
Fair enough. I will be the first to admit that I am a bit biased on this subject

The point I am trying to make here is that it seems like people are trying to say that LeBron is doing this on a team with roster full of stiffs and that the Lakers have assembled some all-star, dream-team roster.

Although many of the players on the Laker roster are playing better than those on the Cavs, it does need to be considered that overall, the Cav's roster has considerably better resumes than those of the Laker's.

Please also consider that aside from Kobe, Gasol is the only other player that was desired by multiple teams. Bynum has not played enough the last two seasons to be considered a major factor in their success. The Lakers have tried unsuccessfully to trade Odom numerous times. Who here can honestly tell me at the beginning of this season that they would rather have Ariza than someone like Verajao? This Laker roster is not full of all-stars like Detroit was with Billups, Rip, Rasheed & Prince. It is comprised of a legit MVP, one other all-star (Gasol), and a bunch of good role players that are inspired by a great on-the-court and off-the-court leader, who inspires them to work harder than everyone else. Kind of sounds like a dynasty team from the previous era doesn't it? Jordan, Pippen, Kukoc, Wennington, Armstrong, Kerr, Rodman.........who was the MVP during those times? Jordan won the MVP five of the six years the Bulls won the NBA title. Those years were not his best statistical years either....they were his best leadership and "valuable" years.

LeBron is cool, he is a great talent, he has a great agent, he has a great "Q" rating, he is putting up big numbers, he has great TV commercials and his team is doing well. He also went 9-25 and 5-20 respectively the last two times the Lakers and Cavs played. He did not make the big plays against the Lakers when his team needed them. Kobe made most of the big plays to win those games.

The MVP should not be a popularity contest, and it should not be a statistical contest. Unfortunately, recent history has shown that there seems to be no rhyme or reason as to what the exact criteria for winning the award truly is.......Nowitski????????

Old 03-17-2009, 08:15 PM
Seriously. Change it.
BigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by GetLiquidNow
I'm surprised by peoples responses on here.

It's an amazing race between Kobe, Lebron, and DWade - however it seems as if most peoples arguments are between Kobe/Lebron.

I don't think there is much of an argument, Dwayne Wade is without a doubt the definition of MVP right now.

Lebron and Kobe are ridiculous too though.
In the 2005-6 season, Kobe led an undermanned, untalented Laker team to a 45-37 record by averaging 35.4 points per game, including going over 50 - 10 times, 62 in 3 quarters, and 81 in one game. They took a much better Phoenix team to a 6th game in the playoffs. Kobe did not win the MVP that year, although some say he should have.

The Heat are 36-30 in the weak Eastern conf. If Kobe did not win in 2005-6 with stats way better than Wade's of this year, how can anyone justify giving Wade the MVP over Kobe or Lebron this year?

Dwade is a great player, top 3 in the league. Just not MVP this year IMHO

Old 03-17-2009, 11:56 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by BigE
In the 2005-6 season, Kobe led an undermanned, untalented Laker team to a 45-37 record by averaging 35.4 points per game, including going over 50 - 10 times, 62 in 3 quarters, and 81 in one game. They took a much better Phoenix team to a 6th game in the playoffs. Kobe did not win the MVP that year, although some say he should have.

The Heat are 36-30 in the weak Eastern conf. If Kobe did not win in 2005-6 with stats way better than Wade's of this year, how can anyone justify giving Wade the MVP over Kobe or Lebron this year?

Couldn't have said it any better....

Its not fair either, and I agree that DWADE is having a monster season. But unfortunately the MVP voters have set stupid ass guidelines, and set precedents when Kobe and other were snubbed in order to give Nash back to back MVP's.

I say they need to give the votes to the coaches/gm's instead of the retarded media.

Old 03-18-2009, 02:57 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
wmasters is a jewel in the roughwmasters is a jewel in the roughwmasters is a jewel in the roughwmasters is a jewel in the roughwmasters is a jewel in the roughwmasters is a jewel in the roughwmasters is a jewel in the roughwmasters is a jewel in the roughwmasters is a jewel in the roughwmasters is a jewel in the roughwmasters is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by BigE

Well said, which is why the MVP award this year should come down between Kobe and Lebron.

Old 03-18-2009, 04:11 AM
Teamspeed Pro
alkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond repute
So is it safe to say it's b/w Kobe, Lebron, D.Wade?

Old 03-18-2009, 10:52 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by alkyoneus
So is it safe to say it's b/w Kobe, Lebron, D.Wade?
I would say so...

But its looking more and more like LBJ is going to get it. They have an incredible home record at 30-1. And if the Lakers are going to play games like they did yesterday against the Sixers. Kobe isn't deserving of the MVP.

You don't lose at home to a team that is a couple of games over .500. Sorry Kobe, I love ya... and I'm a diehard Laker fan to the core. But I gotta be objective.

Quick Reply: Kobe for MVP