Notices
Sports NBA, NHL, NCAA, NFL, MLB, PGA & More at The Teamspeed Sports Forum.

Kobe for MVP

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 08:32 PM
Teamspeed Pro
thedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by wmasters
I do agree that Kobe is one of the front runners for MVP. But to be MVP means to be the Most Valuable Player on the team IMO. Yes Kobe has always been a clutch performer, but it hasn't been till this year that you can truely consider him a team player. I'm neither a great fan of the Lakers or Cavs, but having seen multiple games by both teams, I'd have to say that Kobe has a lot more talent surrounding him, and making it easier to be great. Lebron does not have a potentially dominating center in Bynum, an all star power forward in Gasol, and an extremely talented small forward in Odom. Just look at the number of triple doubles Lebron has and that alone speaks volume about what he is doing for his team. If the definition of MVP is for most valuable player for their team, then I'd have to cast my vote for Lebron at this point.
Thats fair enough. But you seem to give the cavs players way too little credit. Don't forget that Mo Williams has been incredible for the Cavs... he was a all-star after all. And Big Z is a more than capable starting center, who has also been a all-star in this league.

Oh, and we haven't had Bynum for the second half of the season... and haven't skipped a beat.

Also, to be fair... take a look at the standings in the Leastern and Western conferences. Compare 5-8 on both sides, and you'll see the glaring difference between the conferences.

Last edited by thedude; 03-13-2009 at 08:36 PM.
Old 03-14-2009, 12:18 AM
Seriously. Change it.
BigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond repute
Look at both rosters from top to bottom. With the exception of Kobe, the Cavalier players have better resumes, more experience at every position, way more all-star appearances at numerous positions.

The Lakers are comprised of Kobe, Gasol (a one time all-star), Odom the career underachiever, Bynum (young and not really a factor in their current success), Fisher (old, never an all star), Farmar, Ariza, Walton, Mbenga, Powell......

With the exception of Gasol, no one wanted these guys. The Cavs roster is loaded.

What is the difference? Why is this band of outcasts now being called the most talented team in the NBA? Kobe showed that he can put up unreal numbers like LeBron is doing. How about 81? How about 10 - 50+ pt games in one season?

The difference is the MVP - Kobe

Old 03-14-2009, 10:47 AM
Teamspeed Pro
thedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by BigE
Look at both rosters from top to bottom. With the exception of Kobe, the Cavalier players have better resumes, more experience at every position, way more all-star appearances at numerous positions.

The Lakers are comprised of Kobe, Gasol (a one time all-star), Odom the career underachiever, Bynum (young and not really a factor in their current success), Fisher (old, never an all star), Farmar, Ariza, Walton, Mbenga, Powell......

With the exception of Gasol, no one wanted these guys. The Cavs roster is loaded.

What is the difference? Why is this band of outcasts now being called the most talented team in the NBA? Kobe showed that he can put up unreal numbers like LeBron is doing. How about 81? How about 10 - 50+ pt games in one season?

Good stuff buddy

Oh, Gasol is now a two time all-star. And man, he is playing some great ball. I cant wait till Bynum gets back.

Old 03-14-2009, 07:16 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
wmasters is a jewel in the roughwmasters is a jewel in the roughwmasters is a jewel in the roughwmasters is a jewel in the roughwmasters is a jewel in the roughwmasters is a jewel in the roughwmasters is a jewel in the roughwmasters is a jewel in the roughwmasters is a jewel in the roughwmasters is a jewel in the roughwmasters is a jewel in the rough
Great points guys. Here's the thing though, if you look at the players on the Cav's roster, Mo Williams is the only real all star on the roster, and he's only done it this year as far as I remember. The rest of the players on the Cavs do have talent, but they are more team role players than players who could dominate a game, and garner much defensive attention from the other team. If you look at the Lakers, Gasol was a franchise type player for the Grizzlies. He's also been one of the best big men in the league for quite some years. Only reason he hasn't made that many all star appearances is because the West "was" always stacked with talented big men like Duncan, Garnett, Shaq, Nowitski, Yao Ming, ect... Odom on the other hand had been an underachiever, but has always been one of those talents that can change a game when his mind is up to it. Sure Bynum hasn't been in the line up in the second half, but his talent is undeniable. I'd take those 4 over any of the Cavs except Lebron anytime. Like I said before, as an outsider who is neither a fan of the Lakers or Cavs, Lebron seems to be more valuable to his team than Kobe is to the Lakers. I do think Kobe is definitely an MVP candidate, but I'd give the edge to Lebron at this stage.

Last edited by wmasters; 03-14-2009 at 07:18 PM.
Old 03-14-2009, 07:31 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
wmasters is a jewel in the roughwmasters is a jewel in the roughwmasters is a jewel in the roughwmasters is a jewel in the roughwmasters is a jewel in the roughwmasters is a jewel in the roughwmasters is a jewel in the roughwmasters is a jewel in the roughwmasters is a jewel in the roughwmasters is a jewel in the roughwmasters is a jewel in the rough
Just for comparisons sake, Lets look at the respective rosters:

Cavs:
Daniel Gibson
J.J. Hickson
Zydrunas Ilgauskas
Darnell Jackson
LeBron James
Tarence Kinsey
Aleksandar Pavlovic
Joe Smith
Eric Snow
Wally Szczerbiak
Anderson Varejao
Ben Wallace
Delonte West
Mo Williams
Lorenzen Wright

Lakers:
Trevor Ariza
Kobe Bryant
Andrew Bynum
Pau Gasol
Lamar Odom
Derek Fisher
Jordan Farmar
Didier Ilunga-Mbenga
Adam Morrison
Shannon Brown
Josh Powell
Sasha Vujacic
Luke Walton
Sun Yue

Comparing both rosters, you can see why the Lakers are arguably the best team in the league. They have so many weapons that can really hurt you. I'd have to say that Kobe plays with the more talented team.

Last edited by wmasters; 03-14-2009 at 07:36 PM.
Old 03-15-2009, 02:52 PM
Its only three o'clock....wtf
JonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond repute
I hate Kobe, but he is so nasty I have alot of respect for him. Rather Lebron get it.

Old 03-15-2009, 03:19 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by JonA85
I hate Kobe, but he is so nasty I have alot of respect for him. Rather Lebron get it.
I like haters like you Jon. At least you give him respect

The people who sit there and hate the guy without any reason are just annoying.

Old 03-15-2009, 03:45 PM
Teamspeed Pro
like.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond repute
I don't follow the NBA but Kobe deserves the MVP just because he's a Barca fan

Attached Images  
Old 03-15-2009, 03:55 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by like.no.other
I don't follow the NBA but Kobe deserves the MVP just because he's a Barca fan

Agreeed!

Old 03-17-2009, 04:33 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
fusionstorm has a reputation beyond reputefusionstorm has a reputation beyond reputefusionstorm has a reputation beyond reputefusionstorm has a reputation beyond reputefusionstorm has a reputation beyond reputefusionstorm has a reputation beyond reputefusionstorm has a reputation beyond reputefusionstorm has a reputation beyond reputefusionstorm has a reputation beyond reputefusionstorm has a reputation beyond reputefusionstorm has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by BigE

Wow, you have to be a little more objective here. No way in the world that anyone should try and say that the Cavs are better top to bottom than the Lakers. There's a reason why LBJ leads the Cavs in every important statistical category, and it's not b/c he's a ballhog.

I'd take the Lakers starting 5 (even without Bynum) over the Cavs starting 5 without a second thought. I'd also take the Lakers second unit over the Cavs second unit in a heartbeat.

Quick Reply: Kobe for MVP