Notices
Sports NBA, NHL, NCAA, NFL, MLB, PGA & More at The Teamspeed Sports Forum.

Jeff Kent- Hall of Famer?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 05:27 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Craigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Flash68
Alomar had a few good years by comparison. But to the above poster... he electrified the crowd and Kent didn't? That's pretty damn funny....

Are you kidding me?
Give your a head a quick shake for me.
Originally Posted by wiki
In his career, Alomar established remarkable milestones for a second baseman, including:
  • making twelve straight All-Star teams (1990-2001)
  • winning a record ten gold gloves at second base (1991-96,1998-2001)
  • batting over .300 nine times (1992-1997, 1999-2001)
  • posting an OBP over .400 five times (1992-93, 1996, 1999, 2001)
  • scoring 100 or more runs six times (1992-93, 1996, 1999-2001)
  • driving in 100 or more runs twice (1999, 2001)
  • stealing 30 or more bases eight times (1989, 1991-93, 1995, 1999-2001)
  • winning four Silver Slugger awards (1992, 1996, 1999-2000)

Old 01-23-2009, 06:52 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
dhinkle has a reputation beyond reputedhinkle has a reputation beyond reputedhinkle has a reputation beyond reputedhinkle has a reputation beyond reputedhinkle has a reputation beyond reputedhinkle has a reputation beyond reputedhinkle has a reputation beyond reputedhinkle has a reputation beyond reputedhinkle has a reputation beyond reputedhinkle has a reputation beyond reputedhinkle has a reputation beyond repute
Interesting feedback. Kent played AA ball for the Knoxville Smokies (Blue Jays affiliate at the time). I've heard for years that he was a real difficult person to deal with. Of course Ty Cobb is in the HOF, you don't have to be nice to get in.

I don't think you can keep Alomar or Kent out. They may get in on their 5-8 year of eligibility. If you look at Kent's power numbers, I am guessing that he didn't participate in steriods or was a "low" user. Stats wise, he resembles more of a Mike Schmidt. Kent did play 3B some and could've spent his career there as well.

Old 01-23-2009, 06:53 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
dhinkle has a reputation beyond reputedhinkle has a reputation beyond reputedhinkle has a reputation beyond reputedhinkle has a reputation beyond reputedhinkle has a reputation beyond reputedhinkle has a reputation beyond reputedhinkle has a reputation beyond reputedhinkle has a reputation beyond reputedhinkle has a reputation beyond reputedhinkle has a reputation beyond reputedhinkle has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Craigger
Are you kidding me?
Give your a head a quick shake for me.
You forgot to mention the MLB record for shortest commute. He kept a hotel room at the Blue Jays stadium overlooking the outfield.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:32 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
fusionstorm has a reputation beyond reputefusionstorm has a reputation beyond reputefusionstorm has a reputation beyond reputefusionstorm has a reputation beyond reputefusionstorm has a reputation beyond reputefusionstorm has a reputation beyond reputefusionstorm has a reputation beyond reputefusionstorm has a reputation beyond reputefusionstorm has a reputation beyond reputefusionstorm has a reputation beyond reputefusionstorm has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Barrister
I buy most of your argument but not the part about giving him some sort of special consideration for being a 2B. That bought Ryne Sanberg into the HOF when he likely didn't belong there. Are either of them in the same class as Joe Morgan - or Alfonso Soriano who hit 39 HRs in a single season as a second baseman with the Yankees. Wouldn't he be the best if his situation had not required him to move to the outfield?

I like that Kent was nearly a .300 hitter for his career and had nearly 2,500 hits more than anything. But so did Bill Buckner.
You have to give consideration for 2B, SS & C. Otherwise, the guys in the HoF would be even more skewed to the offensive number guys in the OF and at 1B. Most of Brooks Robinson's offensive stats are barely borderline HoF (esp. for someone who played 23 seasons), but obviously his defensive prowess made the selection a no-brainer.

Is Kent in the class of Joe Morgan? Offensively, he was better than Joe (esp. considering that the Big Red Machine's lineup during JM's heyday surpassed anything the Giants had, even with Bonds in his 'roided prime). Who would you rather have at the plate with 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th - Morgan or Kent? Yes, JM was far better defensively, but Kent was far better offensively. As for Soriano, we'll never know now. Extrapolating based on a handful of seasons is not what HoF voters should do.

If Kent & Alomar don't get in, then it's going to be basically impossible for a 2B to make the HoF unless they had both monster numbers offensively as well as many Golden Gloves, or had the longevity to get to the magical 3000 hits plateau (hello Craig Biggio). There are less than 20 2B in the HoF, and Kent is not nearly as borderline as several of the 2B already in Cooperstown (ahem.....Johnny Evers, Tony Lazzeri). If Bill Mazeroski can get into the HoF solely on defensive prowess despite below-average offensive skills, then Jeff Kent will get into Cooperstown for being the best 2B in history from an offense standpoint while having average defensive skills.

Old 01-23-2009, 07:53 PM
Teamspeed Pro
MiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond repute
Cool avatar, Dhinkle.

Old 01-23-2009, 08:57 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
I just can't help but keep coming back to Dale Murphy. If Kent is a HOFer then Murph sure as hell is.

I will never be happy with the HOF as long as they keep Murph out. I just can't be objective about it any more.

Old 01-24-2009, 08:48 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Blastr17 has a reputation beyond reputeBlastr17 has a reputation beyond reputeBlastr17 has a reputation beyond reputeBlastr17 has a reputation beyond reputeBlastr17 has a reputation beyond reputeBlastr17 has a reputation beyond reputeBlastr17 has a reputation beyond reputeBlastr17 has a reputation beyond reputeBlastr17 has a reputation beyond reputeBlastr17 has a reputation beyond reputeBlastr17 has a reputation beyond repute
Kent and Alomar are both HOF in my book, even though I hate Alomar from his days as a horrible Met. Soriano and the words second baseman should never be used together ever.