Notices
Sports NBA, NHL, NCAA, NFL, MLB, PGA & More at The Teamspeed Sports Forum.

OKlahoma, Florida 1-2 in BCS; Will Play For Title

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 04:52 PM
Teamspeed Pro
alkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond repute
go Gators

Old 12-08-2008, 05:08 PM
Teamspeed Pro
M5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by JP-"S"
Then how would you have done it?
Would you have texas play since they beat OU but wait TTU beat Texas and only had 1 loss but hold on OU beat TTU.

See there is no good answer for what happened. OU was fortunate to play #2 TTU then a in state #11 OSU game at the end of the year. Of course after they advanced to the Big 12 championship game they destroyed MIZ-ZOU. OU handled their business when push came to shove scoring 60 or more in the last 5 games. It would and now I wish should have when they had 55 on KU (IIRC) at halftime.
I'm not dismissing Oklahoma as a great time, they certainly are, and they had a tough schedule. But, Texas beat Oklahoma, that's convincing enough to me.

I think there are a handful of teams out there that would all compete very well with each other: SC, Oklahoma, Florida, Texas, Alabama, etc., to me, none definitively stand out from the rest.

Now, my own irrational choice would be to see Texas play SC. The system is a complete mess, and as much as people really want to make sense of it, it's a lost cause.

Old 12-08-2008, 05:14 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Mr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond repute
people shouldn't make sense of it. it is what it is. college football has always been this way. i guess that's part of the beauty.

Old 12-08-2008, 05:19 PM
Teamspeed Pro
M5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Mr Kram
people shouldn't make sense of it. it is what it is. college football has always been this way. i guess that's part of the beauty.
I agree. People try to justify the system, and it's ridiculous. This year, there were a fair amount of teams that were very competitive, if your team squeezed in, be happy. But, I wouldn't go out on a limb trying to justify it.

Old 12-08-2008, 05:23 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Ag Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by M5Kid
I think there are a handful of teams out there that would all compete very well with each other: SC, Oklahoma, Florida, Texas, Alabama, etc., to me, none definitively stand out from the rest.
Thats why, as stated in my previous post, I would trust the Vegas oddsmakers more than the current system. In fact, if we can't get a playoff system, I say have Vegas decide who the best two teams are!!!

Old 12-08-2008, 06:13 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
JP-"S" has a reputation beyond reputeJP-"S" has a reputation beyond reputeJP-"S" has a reputation beyond reputeJP-"S" has a reputation beyond reputeJP-"S" has a reputation beyond reputeJP-"S" has a reputation beyond reputeJP-"S" has a reputation beyond reputeJP-"S" has a reputation beyond reputeJP-"S" has a reputation beyond reputeJP-"S" has a reputation beyond reputeJP-"S" has a reputation beyond repute
no corruption there^^^^
(sarcastic)

I do not like the idea of a playoff for the main fact of it diminishing the interest of the regular season.

Old 12-08-2008, 06:20 PM
Teamspeed Pro
no corruption there^^^^
(sarcastic)

I do not like the idea of a playoff for the main fact of it diminishing the interest of the regular season.
How would it diminish the the interest of the regular season?

Old 12-08-2008, 06:31 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
JP-"S" has a reputation beyond reputeJP-"S" has a reputation beyond reputeJP-"S" has a reputation beyond reputeJP-"S" has a reputation beyond reputeJP-"S" has a reputation beyond reputeJP-"S" has a reputation beyond reputeJP-"S" has a reputation beyond reputeJP-"S" has a reputation beyond reputeJP-"S" has a reputation beyond reputeJP-"S" has a reputation beyond reputeJP-"S" has a reputation beyond repute
I watch NCAA football but not Sunday football during the regular season because evey game counts. Imagine if TTU Crabtree would not have caught that pass with :01 seconds left. Imagine the Sooners DB getting the right call on the interception in the end zone against UT.

Better yet when OU got "Ducked" down in Eugene 2 years ago. Evey game counts and every play matters. On Sunday if you have a winning record and play in a weak division you still go to the playoffs (see the NFC west).

If you ask me the players play harder when EVERY game counts.

Old 12-09-2008, 12:00 AM
Teamspeed Pro
I watch NCAA football but not Sunday football during the regular season because evey game counts. Imagine if TTU Crabtree would not have caught that pass with :01 seconds left. Imagine the Sooners DB getting the right call on the interception in the end zone against UT.

Better yet when OU got "Ducked" down in Eugene 2 years ago. Evey game counts and every play matters. On Sunday if you have a winning record and play in a weak division you still go to the playoffs (see the NFC west).

If you ask me the players play harder when EVERY game counts.
With a playoff system, the motivation to perform would be heightened because of the limited spots in the playoff bracket, and the all or nothing system.

Now, the flaw would be that the schedules would be of varying difficulty, but that's true to an extent with our current system. The playoff idea wouldn't be aimed at fixing that problem, but at having what we believe to be the best teams in the nation face off and prove their position in the NC game.

As to the Oklahoma game, yeah, you guys got screwed. But, it's a reality of the game. Maybe the refs just thought that after scoring 14 points in 1:12 we just deserved the game?

Old 12-09-2008, 12:59 AM
Teamspeed Pro
U-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond repute
It's going to be a great game. Oklahoma looks strong. But I fear that they may choke in the big game. I want to pick FL, but Tibow seems like such a douche. For that sole reason alone, I am going with OK. I know it's irrational. But so is the BCS.

Quick Reply: OKlahoma, Florida 1-2 in BCS; Will Play For Title