Notices
Sports NBA, NHL, NCAA, NFL, MLB, PGA & More at The Teamspeed Sports Forum.

Editorial: Have Manchester United got a balanced attacking quartet

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2008 | 10:18 AM
|
Teamspeed Pro
like.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond repute
Editorial: Have Manchester United got a balanced attacking quartet

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has made no secret of his fondness for housing four strikers in his line-up capable of attracting endless plaudits.

The 1999 Champions League winning quartet for instance contained an almost telepathic partnership in Dwight Yorke and Andy Cole, backed up by a pair who had a knack for scoring in high-profile games: Teddy Sheringham and super substitute Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.

With the acquisition of summer signing Dimitar Berbatov, immediate comparisons were made between the current crop of forwards - Cristiano Ronaldo; Wayne Rooney; Carlos Tevez; and the aforementioned Berbatov - and the four from '99.

But was Berbatov the right choice? Should Sir Alex have let Louis Saha leave the club for pastures Bluer at Everton? Can they afford to allow Tevez to leave the club, or is he surplus to requirements if Fraizer Campbell returns to the north-west an improved player?

Wayne Rooney was firing on all cylinders earlier in the season but has since dried up, and after a resounding 5-0 victory over Stoke City, Manchester United - for the second successive game - have left the field of play having fired a blank.

Is the current quartet of attacking options balanced? Or does Sir Alex, with Ronaldo aside, currently have three number 10s without a number 9? Are they missing the elusive striker in the mould of a poaching Ruud Van Nistelrooy?

In their own right each of the four forwards at Old Trafford are class acts. Yet they would no doubt blend better with a 'fox-in-the-box', or a natural striker, rather than players who like to drop deep and participate in build-up play.

This is precisely what has happened in a 4-5-1 formation with Tevez leading the line. The Argentine international looks isolated up top and he will eventually drop back in order to get himself more involved with play.

It is also a trend that should be familiar to Premier League and England fans as Wayne Rooney has been guilty of doing exactly the same thing, in exactly the same system, for both club and country.

These short-comings went unnoticed last season because they had a number 7 that had a freak 42-goal season; but the Portuguese international looks unlikely to repeat that feat, although I wouldn't bet against him coming close.

The January transfer window may be an interesting one for Sir Alex Ferguson, Manchester United, and the club's fans. If the uncertain economic climate continues to threaten football clubs then the management may be loath to fork out the extra cash that will land Tevez a permanent deal at United, and a move away from the club may be the preferable option for the summer. However, there is a definite gulf in class between the Argentine and perennial reserve player Manucho and Tottenham loanee Campbell (who, as promising as he is, is even struggling to get into their set-up, let alone United's).

Berbatov needs more games to get used to the style of play at Old Trafford. His two seasons at Spurs should have been enough to get used to the league, now all he needs is to settle in to his new club. Because aside from one audacious assist, a brace against Aalborg, and netting a few times in the Premier League, he has yet to offer the same threat that he showed in his first season in a lilywhite jersey.

United still have the same problem they had last season. This time last year there were criticisms that they needed a fourth striker. Over the summer they lost Saha and bought Berbatov... this one-in-one out policy has gone unnoticed even though the initial problems from last season still remain. Only this time, they may become unstuck because of it.

What are your thoughts on this topic? Are Manchester United a club with many talented forwards but not enough strikers? Should Manucho be tested even though he is not top four quality? Will Sir Alex keep hold of Tevez or allow him a move to La Liga? Is the club's attacking quadrant balanced enough to retain the double?

source[goal.com]

Old 11-27-2008 | 10:31 AM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
Berbatov is very much in the mold of Van Nistelrooy - back to the goal, pure predator. Rooney and Tevez can both play up front or drop slightly back, and Ronaldo is a danger everywhere.

If I were Ferguson, I'd run the United offense like the "Christmas Tree" AC Milan used a few years ago: Berbatov at the point of attack, Rooney and Tevez prowling and setting up attacks just behind, with Nani, Anderson, and Ronaldo managing the midfield and attacking the flanks. If they needed some help for the back 4, sub out Nani and put Hargreaves at back and shift to a "diamond".

Old 11-27-2008 | 10:50 AM
Nutcrusher
strebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
Berbatov is very much in the mold of Van Nistelrooy - back to the goal, pure predator. Rooney and Tevez can both play up front or drop slightly back, and Ronaldo is a danger everywhere.

If I were Ferguson, I'd run the United offense like the "Christmas Tree" AC Milan used a few years ago: Berbatov at the point of attack, Rooney and Tevez prowling and setting up attacks just behind, with Nani, Anderson, and Ronaldo managing the midfield and attacking the flanks. If they needed some help for the back 4, sub out Nani and put Hargreaves at back and shift to a "diamond".
I guess we're talking all-out-attack here? Because the only one of those you mention who will defend is rooney ...the others only run when it's attacking time . Don't forget how good Scholes, Carrick, Fletcher, and past few games, Park are.

Old 11-27-2008 | 11:04 AM
|
Teamspeed Pro
like.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond repute
First of all United are one of the best teams out there, now that I've got that out of the way I have no idea how Sir Alex didn't even attempt to sign Torres last season or David Villa this season I really think he missed the boat on that. My problem with Berbatov is that he is inconsistant he's either brilliant or mediocre. Tevez and Rooney are too similar IMO and neither are the in the Prolific striker mold that the most of us percieved. One thing I don't like about playing all four is that leaves no options on the bench and weilds an unballanced squad.

Old 11-27-2008 | 11:37 AM
FIGJAM
IIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by like.no.other
First of all United are one of the best teams out there, now that I've got that out of the way I have no idea how Sir Alex didn't even attempt to sign Torres last season or David Villa this season I really think he missed the boat on that. My problem with Berbatov is that he is inconsistant he's either brilliant or mediocre. Tevez and Rooney are too similar IMO and neither are the in the Prolific striker mold that the most of us percieved. One thing I don't like about playing all four is that leaves no options on the bench and weilds an unballanced squad.
torres would likely not have switched anyway, david villa should be in the premiership this season...how that did not happen is beyond me. he's always been prolific in la liga and is a genuine talent who i rate. there were signs that tottenham were after him but then they turned their attentions toward russia. berba seems inconsistent because his style if very opportunistic at times...as chris said though he is a predator and i would imagine he will have a distinguished career at man u. i believe tevez is on his way out, maybe to man city who knows. rooney in my opinion is the inconsistent one...

if chelsea get kaka though, the x factor that is ronaldo will be negated imo. that move could cement chelsea for years to come.

Old 11-27-2008 | 02:48 PM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by strebo
I guess we're talking all-out-attack here? Because the only one of those you mention who will defend is rooney ...the others only run when it's attacking time . Don't forget how good Scholes, Carrick, Fletcher, and past few games, Park are.
Yeah that would be for attack, with regard to the OP.

If I wanted a balanced attack and midfield, it'd be Berba and Rooney up top, Nani and Ronaldo on the wings, Carrick and Hargreaves in the middle.