Notices
Smoke & Vine Discussion Forum For The Finest Cigars, Wines, and Spirits From Around The Globe.

Chateauneuf du Pape

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 11:26 AM
CLS
Teamspeed Senior Member
CLS has a reputation beyond reputeCLS has a reputation beyond reputeCLS has a reputation beyond reputeCLS has a reputation beyond reputeCLS has a reputation beyond reputeCLS has a reputation beyond reputeCLS has a reputation beyond reputeCLS has a reputation beyond reputeCLS has a reputation beyond reputeCLS has a reputation beyond reputeCLS has a reputation beyond repute
Chateauneuf du Pape

A very good friend turned me on to these wines years ago but I just never thought I could afford them, but thanks to futures and a great vintage year, 2005, I now have a nice collection going on in the wine locker. Picked up some Domaine de la Vieille Julienne (have no idea how you pronounce the name) and Chateau Beaucastel which just so happens to be drinkable now

Robert Parker really likes the 2005 vintage so if you can grab some it is excellent!

Old 01-25-2008, 11:51 AM
Teamspeed Pro
teutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CLS
A very good friend turned me on to these wines years ago but I just never thought I could afford them, but thanks to futures and a great vintage year, 2005, I now have a nice collection going on in the wine locker. Picked up some Domaine de la Vieille Julienne (have no idea how you pronounce the name) and Chateau Beaucastel which just so happens to be drinkable now

Robert Parker really likes the 2005 vintage so if you can grab some it is excellent!
My wife just got into CdP this year - it's light in body like a pinot but has a completely different flavor profile since it is Rhone varietals like syrah, grenache, etc.

I haven't had Ch. Beaucastel but hope to some day soon. We picked up a bunch of 2005 Clos St Michel at Costco for something like $24 a pop - it's impossible to find in the U.S., I found, outside of this one shipment to Costco, apparently.

I've been spending my French wine money on 2005 bordeaux - haven't really put anything into CdP, CdR, or Bourgogne.

Old 01-25-2008, 01:35 PM
CLS
Teamspeed Senior Member
CLS has a reputation beyond reputeCLS has a reputation beyond reputeCLS has a reputation beyond reputeCLS has a reputation beyond reputeCLS has a reputation beyond reputeCLS has a reputation beyond reputeCLS has a reputation beyond reputeCLS has a reputation beyond reputeCLS has a reputation beyond reputeCLS has a reputation beyond reputeCLS has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by teutonictrio
My wife just got into CdP this year - it's light in body like a pinot but has a completely different flavor profile since it is Rhone varietals like syrah, grenache, etc.

I haven't had Ch. Beaucastel but hope to some day soon. We picked up a bunch of 2005 Clos St Michel at Costco for something like $24 a pop - it's impossible to find in the U.S., I found, outside of this one shipment to Costco, apparently.

I've been spending my French wine money on 2005 bordeaux - haven't really put anything into CdP, CdR, or Bourgogne.
The last time we spoke you were planning a trip to Napa did you make it and was it worth the time driving up? From every thing I have tasted of recent 2005 will prove to be a great year for Napa and Russian River area. Like to hear what you're finds were.

Old 01-25-2008, 02:09 PM
Teamspeed Pro
teutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CLS
The last time we spoke you were planning a trip to Napa did you make it and was it worth the time driving up? From every thing I have tasted of recent 2005 will prove to be a great year for Napa and Russian River area. Like to hear what you're finds were.
I think it was Sonoma, and we had to cancel it because a bunch of us (including my wife and I) who were planning to go had things come up. We went to Santa Barbara in October and that was a fantastic trip!

Read about that trip here:

http://dat.erobertparker.com/bboard/...d.php?t=148830

Old 01-25-2008, 02:13 PM
CLS
Teamspeed Senior Member
Is that you playing that giant guitar in the avatar

Old 01-25-2008, 02:30 PM
CLS
Teamspeed Senior Member
Originally Posted by teutonictrio
I think it was Sonoma, and we had to cancel it because a bunch of us (including my wife and I) who were planning to go had things come up. We went to Santa Barbara in October and that was a fantastic trip!

Read about that trip here:

http://dat.erobertparker.com/bboard/...d.php?t=148830
I totally forgot you belong to Mark Squires Bulletin board and by the way excellent write on your trip. The only vineyard I have been to myself was Foley and I agree with you on there Pinot.

Old 01-25-2008, 02:58 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by CLS
I totally forgot you belong to Mark Squires Bulletin board and by the way excellent write on your trip. The only vineyard I have been to myself was Foley and I agree with you on there Pinot.
Dude, Foley is shaking it up! Kris Curran is their new head winemaker - if you don't know her, she was the winemaker for SeaSmoke until about a month ago...

Old 01-25-2008, 03:27 PM
CLS
Teamspeed Senior Member
I have heard of Sea Smoke and there Pinot, but I have unfortunately have never had the chance to taste there wines. I think it was the movie Sideways that made them the unattainable wine after that. So based on this revelation getting in on Foley's wine club would be a good move don't you think?

Old 01-25-2008, 03:33 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Well, if we were closer, I'd invite you to taste one of my SS wines.

I wouldn't get on Foley's list just yet - they have to prove themselves first, and it's a HUGE company, so there's really no 'list' - they produce and distribute like mad. Kris sold out to the man, working for the biggest wine company (by FAR) in SRH, so I'm not sure how well her talents will be utilized there, but we'll see. I have hung out with Kris and still communicate with her, and think she's a huge kick in the ass, so I wish her all the best.

Sideways launched SS, but not directly. Actually, it was Foxen SeaSmoke Vineyard PN that was featured, not SS wines themselves...

Old 01-25-2008, 03:38 PM
CLS
Teamspeed Senior Member
I just signed up a few minutes ago it wont hurt to be ahead of the curve... and if it doesn't pan out I can always cancel. Thanks for the heads up! And if I make to San Diego anytime soon I will take you up on that offer!