Notices
Porsches from the Past | General Porsche News Air-Cooled 911's, 928, 944, 924, & All Other Past Porsche Models & News.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie "vintage" buyer questions...

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 01:59 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
Newbie "vintage" buyer questions...

Hi All -

So, I've been bitten by the bug and personally dont love the new 991 and my eye has been wandering to the land of the 993.

I think its about time I buy myself the car that I really want. I am not a huge fan of "used" cars - I find they are never as described and all have problems.

So, to my esteemed Teamspeeders, I ask, what are the "big ticket" items one should look at when considering the purchase of a new, old 993 Turbo?

I have heard that there are typically issues with a secondary air intake manifold?? Anything else?

In your opinion, is the 993 Turbo which can last if driven less than 5K miles per year another 10 years?

Also - prices are all over the place -

Any insight and assistance in helping me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

asg

Old 06-06-2012, 05:39 PM
Banned
alter.walter is an unknown quantity at this point
Valve guides, clutch accumulator, master and slave will all need to be done sooner than later.

It's a pretty robust car that, imho, is far more exotic and engaging than any later model. Its performance won't terrify like that of a 997 TTS, but it's pretty dang fast still.

As with any used car, treatment and history are most important. You may kiss a lot of frogs before finding your prince.

Prices have skyrocketed lately - that may or may not be a bubble, so don't buy for resale.

A friend of mine just bought the lower mileage midnight tt that's listed as sold on Roslyn Porsche.

Pre Owned Search

I think he overpaid, but the car is said to be perfect.

Rennlist has more 993 experts than any other site.

Good luck. It's the most engaging P car you can buy right now short of a CGT.