Notices
Modern Muscle Corvette, Saleen, Ford GT, Mustang, & More Discussion Forum.

"drove the Z06 and GT-R on track. I think many questions can now be answered. PICS!"

Old 10-02-2008, 09:12 PM
Teamspeed Member
RacerRick has a reputation beyond reputeRacerRick has a reputation beyond reputeRacerRick has a reputation beyond reputeRacerRick has a reputation beyond reputeRacerRick has a reputation beyond reputeRacerRick has a reputation beyond reputeRacerRick has a reputation beyond reputeRacerRick has a reputation beyond reputeRacerRick has a reputation beyond reputeRacerRick has a reputation beyond reputeRacerRick has a reputation beyond repute
Post "drove the Z06 and GT-R on track. I think many questions can now be answered. PICS!"

Great post from a member at corvette forum

"Dear Forum members,
This thread is Z06 specific as it relates directly to the Z06’s performance.
Before getting into the details of the Z06 vs. GT-R comparison, I urge everybody that participates in this thread to be respectful and embrace what each car offers rather than turning this into a pissing contest. It’s hard to have a constructive conversation if the thread gets locked."

Setting the Stage

Frank and Michael (Wanderer Z06 and his son), made the trek from Rochester, NY to Joliet, IL last week. They arrived a few days early to enjoy the sights. Wouldn’t you know it, the forecast called for rain. Our luck, not only did it rain, but it was one of the hardest storms we’ve had all year.

Autobahn Country Club Sunday Morning

It rained all weekend and temps were in the mid 60’s.

We were not to be denied. Frank fell off his rocker and granted me permission to pilot the GT-R onto the track that was not only wet, but had standing water as well.

Before going on track, I drove the GT-R around the paddock briefly to get a feel for the car. I tried sliding it with throttle and trailbraking. This wasn’t my idea of ideal testing conditions but darn it after such a long haul, we were taking this car out!

Frank rode with me first. After getting the go ahead from the starter we departed North pit lane and stayed within the blend line. The first lap was to warm up the car and show Frank the track. After the first lap it was time to drive it best I could considering we were in a lake.

The car handled beautifully in the rain. I achieved speeds just shy of 100MPH in areas that would normally post 125MPH. One of the track Pros (IRL Licensed) later on squeezed out a few more MPH.

20 minutes later I took Michael out, his first time ever on a road course. I picked up the pace and devilishly smiled as he searched for support to brace himself. I don’t know why but I still get a thrill when my passengers turn into white knuckle monkey riders. I found a few more MPH with Michael but conditions wouldn’t allow any real worthy findings.

The GT-R with all-wheel drive was very impressive and did a superb job staying on the track despite a few quick needed steering corrections. I did not bring out my Z06 as this contest in the rain would have been futile with rear wheel drive.

It seemed the weather was not going to cooperate to allow a real comparison.

Frank feverishly ranted aloud a few different thoughts, but all relating to staying longer!

He talked with Michael and me about different scenarios seeing how we could make our schedules coincide. Later that night he juggled his schedule and we were back on for Wednesday! The forecast called for mid 70s and sunshine.

Wednesday back at Autobahn Country Club

Wednesday ended up being the perfect day. We decided to get the cars out after the corner worker lunch break.

With sunshine hitting the track I took Michael out in The GT-R, this time on South track. This was my first time driving the car on dry pavement and it did not disappoint.

Here are my observations after driving both cars on track the same day!

The Z06 sounds like a top fuelie dragster compared to the GT-R. After driving the GT-R on track, we had the same track Pro from Sunday drive it too. All I could hear was tire screeching. This car definitely needs an exhaust, Frank and Michael agreed.

The Z06 has more down low grunt and is able to come out of the corners with more torque. The GT-R has a very nice paddle shift setup which blips the throttle when you put it in R mode. You have to modulate the throttle in the Z06 whereas the GT-R you can more or less mash it. The Z06 is clearly faster in a straight line but requires perfect shifts to maintain that advantage. The GT-R is flawless every time as there is really no way to miss a shift. The GT-R will pull more consistent 60’ times than the Z06 unless your a driver like Ranger. This really isn’t a factor in road racing.

The Z06 turns in a little better than the GT-R as far as trailbraking. With its all-wheel drive and heavier weight, the GT-R has a tendency to understeer (push). This makes it harder to rotate the car around turns.

The interior of the GT-R is an audio/video wonderland. It has a myriad of screens you can select and although it seems busy initially, I was able to navigate it after a 5 minute review with Michael. You can actually make your own homepage with any gauges you want, very nice for racing.

A few worthy mentions

My Z06 has coilovers and sway bars but negating that are the front tires which are half worn and the rears almost toast. I feel this put the car pretty close to times I have run when it was with fresh tires being bone stock. The Goodyear EMTs really lose a lot once they start to wear.

The GT-R was as fresh off the factory floor as it could be. The GT-R’s tires are significantly better than the Z06’s. I feel this was one of the main differences in performance.

Which one is the better car?

I really believe these are two different cars, both being fantastic. Those that own both have the two best performing daily driver cars for the money today. I believe the GT-R well please the Porsche 911 lover far more than the Z06 enthusiast. The Z06 is pure adrenaline where the GT-R is a refined technological marvel.

The GT-R is hands down easier for a beginner to drive on track. I think we may see Z06s getting trumped more so because of driver ability. This takes nothing away from the GT-R, just stating how advanced it is.

I am still baffled how well the GT-R performs on track given its weight. It doesn’t feel as quick as the Z06 from inside the cabin, but it hauls the mail just as fast.

Both cars hit 120MPH on the same given straight section of track.

The Z06 bested the GT-R by 0.30 seconds on a 2.1 mile track.
There was so much more planned in terms of running different tires, getting video and more track segment comparisons but Wednesday didn't allow for that kind of preparation as Sunday would have. One other mention is I have had countless hours in Z06s and very few in the GT-R. I’m sure I can extract more time from it when Frank brings it back again, right Frank?

I want to personally thank Frank and Michael for trusting me with their new car. They are both two special people. I was flattered with the opportunity and made two great friends in the process. That was the real win!

Here a few pics pics I hope you will enjoy!

Last edited by RacerRick; 10-02-2008 at 09:14 PM.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:27 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
SINISTR You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!SINISTR You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!SINISTR You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!SINISTR You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!SINISTR You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!SINISTR You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!SINISTR You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!SINISTR You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!SINISTR You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!SINISTR You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!SINISTR You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
Good read....to bad the GT-R is getting town apart by Porsche lol.

Old 10-02-2008, 10:30 PM
ss7
Teamspeed Pro
ss7 has a reputation beyond reputess7 has a reputation beyond reputess7 has a reputation beyond reputess7 has a reputation beyond reputess7 has a reputation beyond reputess7 has a reputation beyond reputess7 has a reputation beyond reputess7 has a reputation beyond reputess7 has a reputation beyond reputess7 has a reputation beyond reputess7 has a reputation beyond repute
Thats a great unbiased review!

Old 10-02-2008, 11:20 PM
Its only three o'clock....wtf
JonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond repute
Love the review, great pictures, so lucky you had a chance to do this.

Old 10-03-2008, 11:07 AM
Teamspeed's Florida Ambassador
Hernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond repute
Great review. Thanks.

Old 10-03-2008, 11:21 AM
ATL
Teamspeed Pro
ATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond repute
Nice review, no GT-R bashing from a Vette driver!!! that's pretty impressive

Old 10-03-2008, 07:42 PM
Teamspeed Pro
86blackwidow has a reputation beyond repute86blackwidow has a reputation beyond repute86blackwidow has a reputation beyond repute86blackwidow has a reputation beyond repute86blackwidow has a reputation beyond repute86blackwidow has a reputation beyond repute86blackwidow has a reputation beyond repute86blackwidow has a reputation beyond repute86blackwidow has a reputation beyond repute86blackwidow has a reputation beyond repute86blackwidow has a reputation beyond repute
Good review.

Old 10-04-2008, 04:52 PM
Teamspeed Pro
KENT has a reputation beyond reputeKENT has a reputation beyond reputeKENT has a reputation beyond reputeKENT has a reputation beyond reputeKENT has a reputation beyond reputeKENT has a reputation beyond reputeKENT has a reputation beyond reputeKENT has a reputation beyond reputeKENT has a reputation beyond reputeKENT has a reputation beyond reputeKENT has a reputation beyond repute
thanks for taking the time

Old 10-06-2008, 02:23 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
maranello33 is an unknown quantity at this point
gr8 review ur so lucky to drive them

Old 10-06-2008, 06:12 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
forhamilton has a reputation beyond reputeforhamilton has a reputation beyond reputeforhamilton has a reputation beyond reputeforhamilton has a reputation beyond reputeforhamilton has a reputation beyond reputeforhamilton has a reputation beyond reputeforhamilton has a reputation beyond reputeforhamilton has a reputation beyond reputeforhamilton has a reputation beyond reputeforhamilton has a reputation beyond reputeforhamilton has a reputation beyond repute
great write up. thanks. I am also still baffled about the weight thing. WTF?