Notices
Porsches from the Past | General Porsche News Air-Cooled 911's, 928, 944, 924, & All Other Past Porsche Models & News.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XKR vs 911?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 08:39 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
D.Liu You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!D.Liu You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!D.Liu You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!D.Liu You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!D.Liu You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!D.Liu You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!D.Liu You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!D.Liu You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!D.Liu You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!D.Liu You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!D.Liu You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
XKR vs 911?

Well, I'm going to hybrid this into my intro thread: I'm a 16 year old, I've driven a camry, a 325i, and an STS, and so far it's pretty hard to get emotionally attached to these cars.

My parents bought them, and in my honest opinion the camry is the best to drive. The BMW is slower than a same-year camry, the STS does a great job of making sure you never feel any sort of excitement from your driving experience - I felt so isolated from the controls and the road.

Because I'm a teen I won't be buying an 2012 XKR S, or a GT2 RS. The general idea that's been created from reading these forums is that Porsches are like legos - very unlikely to break down, and you can make them into anything you want. I like legos.

Jaguars are like cheese cake - pleasuring to the senses, but perhaps not very good for you. However, I'm a teenager - I like cheese cake.

So perhaps this isn't the best comparison, but still I would like to ask - which one would you guys suggest, hopefully putting bias aside?

Old 03-12-2011, 08:41 PM
AMGFanatic
MeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond repute
911 because the XKR doesn't feel sporty enough to justify its power, XKR is more suited for those who are fed up with sports cars and want a grand tourer.

What Porsche 911 are you aiming for ?

Old 03-12-2011, 09:00 PM
Its only three o'clock....wtf
JonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond repute
Hmmmm

Old 03-12-2011, 09:02 PM
Teamspeed Pro
PMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond repute
911 is the obvious choice, but how much of a financial stretch would it be, and would that money be better spent somewhere else?

I probably won't be the only person questioning the wisdom of putting that kind of performance envelope in the hands of a 16-year old. I was well past 30 before I genuinely had the maturity to own a fast car without being an idiot.

Old 03-12-2011, 09:04 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
D.Liu You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!D.Liu You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!D.Liu You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!D.Liu You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!D.Liu You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!D.Liu You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!D.Liu You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!D.Liu You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!D.Liu You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!D.Liu You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!D.Liu You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Nothing specific at the moment - I've yet to get my license, I just want to do my homework. Looking at Cayman vs base 911 too.

Edit: If wisdom and financial reasons were the main factors, I of course wouldn't buy any kind of Porsche, ever. But because expectations of from my family / being brainwashed to believe life isn't worth living if you haven't got a good education, thus feeling guilty for doing anything I once enjoyed doing instead of studying, fun and emotion has been missing from my life. I want to feel, if only for a few seconds, the same way I did before my parents divorced, moved ten times, and lost social skills with "normal" people and my own meaning of "a life" - when I played Mario without worry of how much it cost, or what it could have bought me instead - happy.

Last edited by D.Liu; 03-12-2011 at 09:13 PM.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:54 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
My advice would be to buy a Mini Cooper S since you will still have a blast in it and will most likely live to see 17 if drive that instead of the XKR or Porsche.

Old 03-12-2011, 11:02 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Mini George has a reputation beyond reputeMini George has a reputation beyond reputeMini George has a reputation beyond reputeMini George has a reputation beyond reputeMini George has a reputation beyond reputeMini George has a reputation beyond reputeMini George has a reputation beyond reputeMini George has a reputation beyond reputeMini George has a reputation beyond reputeMini George has a reputation beyond reputeMini George has a reputation beyond repute
A porsche for a first car? Man, your lucky.

I agree with Alzilla, start out slow, then eventually move up to the porsche/jaguar. You will appreciate the porsche/jag much more if you start with a mini.

Old 03-12-2011, 11:44 PM
Teamspeed Pro
PMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by D.Liu
I want to feel, if only for a few seconds, the same way I did before my parents divorced, moved ten times, and lost social skills with "normal" people and my own meaning of "a life" - when I played Mario without worry of how much it cost, or what it could have bought me instead - happy.
Well, reading that, it doesn't seem like a car is going to fix what's getting you down. That said, you'd probably get more enjoyment out of buying a cheaper car, and putting the difference into race-track experience. You'll have more fun thrashing a Miata around a track for a weekend that you'll have in a week of driving a 911 at regular speeds. Most tracks won't let you on them until you're 18, though.

Old 03-13-2011, 12:14 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Axxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond repute
You guys are too nice.

Old 03-13-2011, 12:27 AM
I need pos rep like Hulkamania NOW!
Brobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond repute
Apparently the Camry rules in handling. Buy one of those. And you should adopt a laberdootle and find a male friend.

Last edited by Brobbins016; 03-13-2011 at 12:31 AM.