Teamspeed.com

Teamspeed.com (https://teamspeed.com/forums/)
-   Porsches from the Past | General Porsche News (https://teamspeed.com/forums/porsches-past-general-porsche-news/)
-   -   XKR vs 911? (https://teamspeed.com/forums/porsches-past-general-porsche-news/56217-xkr-vs-911-a.html)

D.Liu 03-12-2011 08:39 PM

XKR vs 911?

Well, I'm going to hybrid this into my intro thread: I'm a 16 year old, I've driven a camry, a 325i, and an STS, and so far it's pretty hard to get emotionally attached to these cars. :shrug:

My parents bought them, and in my honest opinion the camry is the best to drive. The BMW is slower than a same-year camry, the STS does a great job of making sure you never feel any sort of excitement from your driving experience - I felt so isolated from the controls and the road.

Because I'm a teen I won't be buying an 2012 XKR S, or a GT2 RS. The general idea that's been created from reading these forums is that Porsches are like legos - very unlikely to break down, and you can make them into anything you want. I like legos.

Jaguars are like cheese cake - pleasuring to the senses, but perhaps not very good for you. However, I'm a teenager - I like cheese cake.

So perhaps this isn't the best comparison, but still I would like to ask - which one would you guys suggest, hopefully putting bias aside?

MeanMachine 03-12-2011 08:41 PM

911 because the XKR doesn't feel sporty enough to justify its power, XKR is more suited for those who are fed up with sports cars and want a grand tourer.

What Porsche 911 are you aiming for ?

JonA85 03-12-2011 09:00 PM

Hmmmm

PMac 03-12-2011 09:02 PM

911 is the obvious choice, but how much of a financial stretch would it be, and would that money be better spent somewhere else?

I probably won't be the only person questioning the wisdom of putting that kind of performance envelope in the hands of a 16-year old. I was well past 30 before I genuinely had the maturity to own a fast car without being an idiot.

D.Liu 03-12-2011 09:04 PM

Nothing specific at the moment - I've yet to get my license, I just want to do my homework. Looking at Cayman vs base 911 too.

Edit: If wisdom and financial reasons were the main factors, I of course wouldn't buy any kind of Porsche, ever. But because expectations of from my family / being brainwashed to believe life isn't worth living if you haven't got a good education, thus feeling guilty for doing anything I once enjoyed doing instead of studying, fun and emotion has been missing from my life. I want to feel, if only for a few seconds, the same way I did before my parents divorced, moved ten times, and lost social skills with "normal" people and my own meaning of "a life" - when I played Mario without worry of how much it cost, or what it could have bought me instead - happy.

Alzilla 03-12-2011 10:54 PM

My advice would be to buy a Mini Cooper S since you will still have a blast in it and will most likely live to see 17 if drive that instead of the XKR or Porsche.

Mini George 03-12-2011 11:02 PM

A porsche for a first car? Man, your lucky.

I agree with Alzilla, start out slow, then eventually move up to the porsche/jaguar. You will appreciate the porsche/jag much more if you start with a mini.

PMac 03-12-2011 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by D.Liu (Post 895499)
I want to feel, if only for a few seconds, the same way I did before my parents divorced, moved ten times, and lost social skills with "normal" people and my own meaning of "a life" - when I played Mario without worry of how much it cost, or what it could have bought me instead - happy.

Well, reading that, it doesn't seem like a car is going to fix what's getting you down. That said, you'd probably get more enjoyment out of buying a cheaper car, and putting the difference into race-track experience. You'll have more fun thrashing a Miata around a track for a weekend that you'll have in a week of driving a 911 at regular speeds. Most tracks won't let you on them until you're 18, though.

Axxlrod 03-13-2011 12:14 AM

You guys are too nice.

Brobbins016 03-13-2011 12:27 AM

Apparently the Camry rules in handling. Buy one of those. And you should adopt a laberdootle and find a male friend.