Notices
Porsches from the Past | General Porsche News Air-Cooled 911's, 928, 944, 924, & All Other Past Porsche Models & News.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AutoExpress: Porsche confirms new small sportscar

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 09:44 AM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Post AutoExpress: Porsche confirms new small sportscar

Auto Express Rendering

Porsche's junior Boxster is go! Boss Matthias Müller confirmed that the small, mid-engined roadster is at an advanced stage of development at the firm's research and development facility in Weissach. Billed as a spiritual successor to the classic Porsche 356, the model is based on the Volkswagen Group's new MMB platform - which will also underpin the VW Bluesport, tipped for launch in 2013. Full sized design prototypes have already been built, and the firm is currently evaluating the business case for the new car which sources have told Auto Express could appear as early as 2012.

"We have a model based on the Bluesport, but we are not yet ready to show it."
"When we are convinced about the project, we will be ready to show it" said Müller.
"However, we do not have to show this car off as a concept to make a decision on its future."
"We have all the facts and figures we need. The first time you see it, it will be as a production ready car."
"At the moment, we are working through hundreds of new ideas from our engineers, ideas that will take the company through the next ten years."
"Before we do anything, we must work out what to do first."

However, among these ideas, Müller also revealed the following projects were currently under development:

Flat-four engine for Boxster and Cayman
A new flat four-cylinder engine is being developed by Porsche to power the next generation of Boxster and Cayman models.
The engine, which will be developed from the firm's existing flat-six cylinder unit, is just one of a range of more fuel efficient, less polluting engines under development at the firm.

Both naturally aspirated and turbocharged versions of the 2.4-litre engine are being considered.
Müller was quick to clarify that the engine would not be used in the next generation type 998 edition Porsche 911 - but would not rule out that such a move would be possible in the future.

Plug-in hybrid for Panamera
Müller also confirmed that he had recently driven a V6 engined plug-in hybrid engine, fitted to a Porsche Panamera.
According to Müller, the unit offers "incredible performance". It's thought the car will run as a pure electric vehicle, as well as a petrol-electric hybrid.

New partnerships with Bentley and Audi
Müller also revealed that the development of the next generation of Bentley models will include input from Porsche engineers.
Development will still be led by Bentley in Crewe, though expertise at the firm's research and development centre in Weissach could be used to help fine tune future models.

"This philosophy has been proven to work very well, if engineers are disciplined enough to use that opportunity."
As well as co-operating on the plug in hybrid-technology described above, the two firms could also collaborate on new platforms and engines, paving the way for hybrid engined versions of the Continental GT.

A new front engined GT, and a convertible
"If the future of front-engined Porsches only had room for a four door saloon like the Panamera, it would be very boring indeed." Said Müller, joking that his engineers had also put forward ideas for everything, from panel vans to MPVs.

On a more serious note, he also explained that he could also imagine a new front engined coupe, convertible, and even the possibility of a long wheel base Panamera, but conceded that Bentley's plans could affect development.

"The Volkswagen Group controls nine brands. Between these brands, we must create competition but not substitutes."

A new design direction?
Alongside ambitious engineering plans, Müller said at the end of our interview that he was equally interested in the future of the firm's design.
He accepted that there had been criticism of the design of the new Porsche Panamera, and conceded that he was looking closely at the look of the firm's new models.

Source & Read more:
AUTOEXPRESS

Old 11-18-2010, 09:46 AM
jox
TEAMSPEED.COM
jox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond repute
The little Porsche Pendejo is coming!

Old 11-18-2010, 09:50 AM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
Front-Engined GT eh? 'Bout time.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:53 AM
TEAMSPEED.COM
TPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond repute
i would buy it if it looked like that...

Old 11-18-2010, 10:10 AM
AMGFanatic
MeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond repute
looks like a Toyota MR2

Old 11-18-2010, 10:18 AM
Yea, boobs never hurt.
Tsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond repute
Like the back, don't the front. I guess I'll have to see it in person and see what it could do..

Old 11-18-2010, 10:44 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Turboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond repute
horrible -_-

Old 11-18-2010, 03:24 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Carrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond repute
Notice he said nothing at all about the Cajun. I think it's safe to say we won't see another Porsche SUV in the near future.

Besides that, I like the idea of a new 356, but putting flat fours in the Boxster and Cayman models doesn't make sense to me. Why have a 356 successor with a flat four, and then another car at a higher price slotted right above it with a flat four? The only way I think this can be justified is if the Boxster gets a 270hp flat four, and the Boxster Turbo gets 320, and the new 356 gets about 250.

I'm glad Porsche has no other engine plans for the 911 besides a flat-6, but the idea of a four cylinder 911 makes me cringe. The only way I'd want them to pull that off is make a new 912. The new front engined GT cars and cabrios sound like a great move. Plug in Panamera? I really don't care. I only car about the sanity of the sports cars.

So, within 5 years, I'm guessing we'll have a lineup with these models.

Boxster
Cayman
Panamera
Cayenne

I think that sounds good.

Old 11-18-2010, 03:45 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
I'd like to see:

Cayman $ base price around $39,700
NO CAYMAN S
Boxster $ base price around what it is now.
Boxster S ditto

911 variants (not too many)
Panamera variants
Cayenne variants

Some other Porsche either mid-engined or front engined with a base price of around $220k, something that really has Ferrari in it's sights with interiors, attention to detail yet with Porsche's reliability.

Old 11-18-2010, 03:51 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Carrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by STOPPIE
Some other Porsche either mid-engined or front engined with a base price of around $220k, something that really has Ferrari in it's sights with interiors, attention to detail yet with Porsche's reliability.
What I've had in mind for a while is a car called the Porsche Spyder. Basically a small extremely sport, very light, very wide, very low, and very fast, small, manual topped Spyder type car with a 500hp NA flat 6 engine all for around 200k.

Take a minute to let that in and imagine it.

I love all of Porsche's future model plans, but I hate the idea of the flat four Boxster/Cayman. I really hope they can make it work.

Quick Reply: AutoExpress: Porsche confirms new small sportscar