Notices
Porsches from the Past | General Porsche News Air-Cooled 911's, 928, 944, 924, & All Other Past Porsche Models & News.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Autoblog: Porsche considering new model between 911 and 918 Spyder?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 05:06 PM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Post Autoblog: Porsche considering new model between 911 and 918 Spyder?

"Porsche – which currently offers the Boxster/Cayman twins, umpteen different variations of the 911, the Cayenne SUV and the Panamera sedan – is endlessly rumored to be considering more models. Most often, speculation seems to revolve around another nameplate to slot in below the entry-level Boxster, and certainly that's still a distinct possibility. We already know a smaller 'ute called the Cajun is (probably) on its way, along with the show-stopping 918 Spyder.

But Porsche chief Matthias Müller has apparently hinted that he sees room between the 911 and the upcoming range-topping 918. It seems that the high(ish)-end sports car would be based on existing components, which makes us wonder if it could possibly be a mid-engine car on the 918's platform that eschews that car's hybrid configuration for something more traditional... a flat-six from the 911, perhaps?

Whatever the case, Porsche's plans call on sales of roughly 150,000 units per year, which is nearly double what the marque manged to sell last year. Considering that each of Porsche's current models sell at a pretty decent clip for their individual classes, that much of an increase is likely certain to come from new machines in new segments. We just have a hard time seeing Porsche do anything that might diminish the relevance of the 911 range."

[Source: Autoblog via Autoweek.nl]

Old 10-21-2010, 05:12 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
MattFalcon is on a distinguished roadMattFalcon is on a distinguished road
911 Diluted?

Every-time I say this, I get proven wrong by Porsche, but here goes...

You know after (insert latest 911 variant here, which is the GT2 RS today), I just don't know how much more they can get out of the 911. They must be looking for something else.

And probably in a week, I will need to replace the parenthesis.

Old 10-21-2010, 05:15 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Ludas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond repute
I think the model Porsche is talking about and which will fill the huge gap between the 911 and the 918 Spyder is a new 928, basically a coupe version of the Panamera. We've heard rumours about it for a long time and it only seems logical for Porsche. They just make it more of a GT car with front V8 engine and compete with the DB9, Maserati GT and BMW 6.

Old 10-21-2010, 05:37 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
gutjos is an unknown quantity at this point
I think Porsche is trying to get to a different market. What ever it is I'm pretty sure would be a good product, it has been proven with the Cayenne and the Panamera, not even counting they sold out the GT2 RS!

Old 10-21-2010, 05:39 PM
AMGFanatic
MeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond repute
I am pretty sure they are bringing the 928 back.

Old 10-21-2010, 05:55 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Mini George has a reputation beyond reputeMini George has a reputation beyond reputeMini George has a reputation beyond reputeMini George has a reputation beyond reputeMini George has a reputation beyond reputeMini George has a reputation beyond reputeMini George has a reputation beyond reputeMini George has a reputation beyond reputeMini George has a reputation beyond reputeMini George has a reputation beyond reputeMini George has a reputation beyond repute
Porsche is trying to appeal to too many different people.

Old 10-21-2010, 06:20 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
I'd like to see something mid engined to rival the 458.

Old 10-21-2010, 06:26 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Mythic has a reputation beyond reputeMythic has a reputation beyond reputeMythic has a reputation beyond reputeMythic has a reputation beyond reputeMythic has a reputation beyond reputeMythic has a reputation beyond reputeMythic has a reputation beyond reputeMythic has a reputation beyond reputeMythic has a reputation beyond reputeMythic has a reputation beyond reputeMythic has a reputation beyond repute
i will wait till i have an idea what its specs are to pass judgment.

Old 10-21-2010, 07:07 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
I've said this over and over- so quote me " It's not that people dont want to spend $200k+ on a Porsche; They just don't want to spend it on yet another 911 variant.

Build something awesome Porsche, base price around mid to low 200's- and buyers WILL come. Trust me.

Old 10-21-2010, 10:50 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
I thought the 918 was going to slot in between the Panamera Hybrid and the GT2 RS in terms of performance. Why make another model?

Quick Reply: Autoblog: Porsche considering new model between 911 and 918 Spyder?