Notices
Porsches from the Past | General Porsche News Air-Cooled 911's, 928, 944, 924, & All Other Past Porsche Models & News.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche's new baby Boxster

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 04:12 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
DchaMD is a glorious beacon of lightDchaMD is a glorious beacon of lightDchaMD is a glorious beacon of lightDchaMD is a glorious beacon of lightDchaMD is a glorious beacon of lightDchaMD is a glorious beacon of lightDchaMD is a glorious beacon of lightDchaMD is a glorious beacon of lightDchaMD is a glorious beacon of lightDchaMD is a glorious beacon of lightDchaMD is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Damon@tirerack
Geez guys, tell that to those that thought the Miata, Z4, and S2000 would kill their brands too....

I bet my lunch money they will share the platform with the new VW diesel roadster....

Roadsters have a formula- Cheap and light. Porsche doesn't understand this.

Old 10-29-2009, 04:27 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
I've said this before I'll say it again:

Poop or get off the pot Porsche.

Either A)

Get rid of the Cayman, just offer (in order from highest to lowest MSRP)

Boxster S
Cayman S
Boxster

Or B)

Get rid of the Cayman S.

Boxster S- 320hp drop top
Boxster 285hp
Cayman 285 hp with a base price of $38,700 with options it'll be mid $40k. That would compete directly with the likes of the 370z etc. Be a winner IMHO.

ForGET the fuggin flat 4 boxster turd.

Offer great leasing and financing and stay on the nice and steady course of profits. But what do I know.....haha..

Old 10-29-2009, 04:32 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
928s has a brilliant future928s has a brilliant future928s has a brilliant future928s has a brilliant future928s has a brilliant future928s has a brilliant future928s has a brilliant future928s has a brilliant future928s has a brilliant future928s has a brilliant future928s has a brilliant future
Folks , hold on to your REAL porsches. (they will me worth a lot of money in the future) If I read and see this , this is not that Mr.Porsche had in mind........Downsizing.....uchh

Old 10-29-2009, 04:41 PM
Teamspeed Pro
ZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond repute
I think this is a brilliant move. They should just have this, and can the Boxster, and use the Cayman to bridge the gap between it and the 911. The 914 brought tons of would-be 911 owners in and was a hoot to drive. If Porsche can keep the fluff out, thus keeping the weight down, this new 914 (not sure where they got the whole 356 idea) could be one for the ages.

Old 10-29-2009, 04:51 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
Zamirz, why on earth would Porsche KILL the Boxster when it's outsold the Cayman? The only and I mean ONLY reason a dealer sells the cayman isnt cos it's 'such an awesome car'. Its b/c they drop their pants trying to move the fuggin boat anchors.

Good car. yes. Worth 55 or 65k for just a coupe? Why not just go get a C63, or E92 M3, or 335i? Or used 997?

There is no Bridging the GAP to a 911. if a client spends 65, they can afford 85 on a car. Period. They either want a 911 or dont. Not to much grey area.

This isnt personal, but I'm on the front lines with Porsche and the Caymans dont sell at ALL. Ask any reputable dealer.

As for the 914 bringing a lot of would be 911's buyers out, the cars have evolved up the food chain, quite a bit. No one would (certainly not a 997 or 996 owner) tolerate a 914 in todays world.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:47 PM
Teamspeed Pro
ZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by STOPPIE
Zamirz, why on earth would Porsche KILL the Boxster when it's outsold the Cayman? The only and I mean ONLY reason a dealer sells the cayman isnt cos it's 'such an awesome car'. Its b/c they drop their pants trying to move the fuggin boat anchors.
I'm not so sure you can claim the Boxster "outsold" the Cayman, since it hasn't been out as long. Additionally, Porsche attempted to market the Cayman as an all-new car, but nobody was fooled. It was a Boxster coupe, and Joe Schmoe Porsche buyer couldn't figure out why he was paying MORE for the hardtop over the convertible. All that on top of launching the S model before the std. is what lead to dismal sales.

Then there's the whole "options" issue. All the cars on the lot have 8K+ in options on them (full leather, sport chrono, and on and on...it all adds up), which pushes them dangerously near base-Carrera pricing, but there is no such thing as a base Carrera at 90% of the dealers. Everything has options and everything is discounted.

Good car. yes. Worth 55 or 65k for just a coupe? Why not just go get a C63, or E92 M3, or 335i? Or used 997?
Because they want a new Porsche, not a tarted up european sedan. Remember, we're talking about the average, non-car-enthusiast buyer. There is a certain level of badge-engineering built into everything Porsche. There always has been. Whether you're buying the pd glasses or golf clubs or an actual car.

There is no Bridging the GAP to a 911. if a client spends 65, they can afford 85 on a car. Period. They either want a 911 or dont. Not to much grey area.
I completely disagree. For many, it's not about what they can "afford", it's about what they WANT.

This isnt personal, but I'm on the front lines with Porsche and the Caymans dont sell at ALL. Ask any reputable dealer.
As am I. I help many of my current customers get out of their classics and into newer cars. I also help many newcomers to Porsche pick the right car for them.

BUT, I am also in SoCal, where everything sells at the right price. Nobody is buying anything Porsche at MSRP. Panamera, GT2/3 excluded. Depending on how you wheel and deal and what the spec of the car is, there is money coming off, regardless of whether it's a Boxster, Cayman or 911.

As for the 914 bringing a lot of would be 911's buyers out, the cars have evolved up the food chain, quite a bit. No one would (certainly not a 997 or 996 owner) tolerate a 914 in todays world.
No, but a guy who owned a Honda S2000 or a VW R32, who is ready to step up to Porsche, but knows he/she can't jump into a 911 will give this new roadster a long, hard look.

Old 10-30-2009, 09:37 AM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
You're arguing just to hear yourself talk Zamirz.

If you re-Read what I wrote I said almost the same thing you just regurgatated. If a client who writes a check for 65, can easily afford 85 - (this is where the light bulb should go off) then THAT MEANS THEY PERCIEVE THE VALUE BETTER ON THE 85 CAR. Thus why pull the trigger on the 997 and NOT the 987 Coupe.

And YES. The boxster IS a better selling car. If you guys are stuck with both boxsters and caymans alike, then maybe you should rethink your selling techniques. Where my store is located we get sh*t weather 6 months out of the year, yet we best dealers who arguably should be SELLING more cars then us.

And if you actually think the Panamera is a tarted up sedan you should put your things together and leave the dealership quietly. It's not a tarted up sedan, but if you think so, so will anyone whom you come into contact on the showroom floor or outside on the lot. Should rethink that thought process you got there.....

You honestly believe SALES is different in SoCal then it is, say, in Boston, NYC or anywhere else?. E V E R Y T H I NG sells at a 'price'. That's sales 101. But it's up to YOU to belay the value of said product. Add to that, clients NEED to feel taken care of special. It's not rocket science yet some people in sales act like it is. More over, MOST sales people treat car sales like Voo-Doo and the clients reciprocate.

Its not. The 2 Door aka 928 would be a fine addition to our family. Not a cheaper Boxster. Make the Line more Lean, not add to it. That will increase the value proposition.

Zamirz if you really read what I'm saying you'll notice we're on the same page.

Old 10-31-2009, 10:55 AM
I need pos rep like Hulkamania NOW!
Brobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond repute
I would be wiling to bet anyone here this article is founded on a bored editor who is full of sheit. Reminds me of the post a few months ago about the "new Dino to be released in 2010"!!!!! It was a photoshop of a Cayman! Probably came out of Motor Trend.

Old 10-31-2009, 12:38 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
Originally Posted by Brobbins016
I would be wiling to bet anyone here this article is founded on a bored editor who is full of sheit. Reminds me of the post a few months ago about the "new Dino to be released in 2010"!!!!! It was a photoshop of a Cayman! Probably came out of Motor Trend.

+1
LMAO!!

Brobbins, you didn't happen to be at the Panamera Launch in Phoenix, Wave 3did you?