Notices
Boxster | Cayman The Porsche Boxster & Cayman Discussion Forum.

Porsche plans baby Boxster

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 10:39 AM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Post Porsche plans baby Boxster

Autocar rendering of the new entry level Porsche coming

"Porsche will increase the size of its two-seat roadster, the 2012 Boxster, in order to make room for a smaller and cheaper entry-level model based on the new Volkswagen BlueSport. The next Boxster’s wheelbase and overall length will both grow, the latter to nearly 4.4 metres, providing more passenger and luggage space.

The timing of the arrival of he new convertible coincides with the end of Porsche’s contract with Valmet Automotive in Finland, where the current Boxster and Cayman are made. In early 2012, production of the cars will switch to Stuttgart. Before then, incoming Porsche boss Matthias Muller will clear the way for a cheaper entry-level Porsche based on the new mechanicals of the VW BlueSport roadster, Autocar has learned.

Muller is an expert product planning strategist who’s proved his skills within the VW Group, and is a supporter of the three-pronged plan to put the BlueSport into production. His remit from the highest ranks of the VW Group executive board is to integrate Porsche into the organisation by harmonising its production methods with those of its new sister brands, and by seizing opportunities for wider co-operation and component sharing with Audi in particular.

Porsche’s top man is also planning to demonstrate to the conservative old guard that its sports cars needn’t be 100 per cent unique to be successful.

The BlueSport roadster was a concept at the 2009 Detroit show and has since met with enough enthusiasm from interested buyers to convince VW that it deserves a future. However, the business case for investment in a new platform for the BlueSport depends upon it being a ‘three-brand car’, with combined production volume of close to 100,000 units a year.

VW brand executives are keen to back the project, but their counterparts at Audi and Porsche — the two other VW Group brands who would need to offer models based on the BlueSport’s platform in order to make its business case viable — have been lukewarm.

But Muller could be the man to make the sub-£30,000 Porsche happen, thanks to his direct experience of Audi mechanicals — gained during his time working on Ingolstadt’s ‘MLP’ platform — plus an allegiance to advocates of the BlueSport proposal highly placed within the VW Group.
Muller also has the will to sway the conservative Stuttgart execs."

Source [Autocar]

Old 08-16-2010, 10:40 AM
Teamspeed Pro
PorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond repute
This thing will not be gay at all.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:47 AM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
*great*

Old 08-16-2010, 11:02 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
_CEO_ has a reputation beyond repute_CEO_ has a reputation beyond repute_CEO_ has a reputation beyond repute_CEO_ has a reputation beyond repute_CEO_ has a reputation beyond repute_CEO_ has a reputation beyond repute_CEO_ has a reputation beyond repute_CEO_ has a reputation beyond repute_CEO_ has a reputation beyond repute_CEO_ has a reputation beyond repute_CEO_ has a reputation beyond repute
I cant help but feel this ruins Porsche's "exclusive" feel. Should I slap a VW logo on my C4S now, since "mainstream" seems to be the new direction?

Old 08-16-2010, 11:29 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of
I seriously doubt it.

Old 08-16-2010, 11:35 AM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
I guess they're going to test the waters to see if they can sell more cars and not worry about 'exclusivity' or 'uniqueness'.

Which are two main reasons why people BUY Porsche. But what do I know? I only sell them.

Old 08-16-2010, 11:44 AM
TEAMSPEED.COM
TPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond repute
i would buy it. if it works like my old car.

Old 08-16-2010, 11:46 AM
Teamspeed Pro
PorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond repute
I'm sure it has to do with emissions

Old 08-16-2010, 11:54 AM
jox
TEAMSPEED.COM
jox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond repute
This emissions crap - is it the average emissions on what is actually sold across the range or what is offered?

I don't think this will dilute the brand. Just look at Ferrari - they slap their badge on just about everything they can think of.

Old 08-16-2010, 12:17 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Jetpilot718 has a reputation beyond reputeJetpilot718 has a reputation beyond reputeJetpilot718 has a reputation beyond reputeJetpilot718 has a reputation beyond reputeJetpilot718 has a reputation beyond reputeJetpilot718 has a reputation beyond reputeJetpilot718 has a reputation beyond reputeJetpilot718 has a reputation beyond reputeJetpilot718 has a reputation beyond reputeJetpilot718 has a reputation beyond reputeJetpilot718 has a reputation beyond repute
Please great car God up high, make this a bare-basics super non-luxury Porsche for the purist. Make it be lightweight, have a high-revving engine, and be super Spartan like the Lotus Exige. I hope they nail this project!

Quick Reply: Porsche plans baby Boxster