Notices
Porsches from the Past | General Porsche News Air-Cooled 911's, 928, 944, 924, & All Other Past Porsche Models & News.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche 928 set to return

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 10:39 AM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Porsche 928 set to return

Porsche is preparing to build a sophisticated luxury super-coupé in the spirit of the old 928 — but only if it sees an end to a global downturn in sales.

A number of automakers from around the world are currently working on smaller models of existing cars in order to counter the downward spiraling of car sales. Porsche may be one of these after rumours of a smaller car, a sort of hark back to the old 928, based on the new Panamera surfaced.

Autocar says a senior source at Porsche told the publication that a 3-door GT would be "very nice". However such a car is still a very long way off; the Board has not even approved it. A lot of money was sunk into the development of the Panamera and apparently the brains behind the 3-door car would like to see the company dollar stretched even further to release economies of scale. Porsche is not the biggest automaker in the world, yet the size of its investment in the Panamera could be the envy of many. Recouping that investment might require a lot more than Panamera sales.

Although cars like the Mercedes-Benz CL AMGs and Bentley Continental GTs have demonstrated a growing market for high-performance GT cars, Zuffenhausen has not taken advantage. Porsche has made a few gambles that paid off in the past, most notably the Cayenne. A 928 revival could be one of them. Or it could become a sales disappointment just like it was when first introduced in 1977.

One senior company source has admitted to Autocar that the large three-door would be a "very nice" addition to the Porsche line-up. But he also insisted that the car is still some way from board level approval.

Last edited by DJ; 04-22-2009 at 10:41 AM.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:16 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
928s has a brilliant future928s has a brilliant future928s has a brilliant future928s has a brilliant future928s has a brilliant future928s has a brilliant future928s has a brilliant future928s has a brilliant future928s has a brilliant future928s has a brilliant future928s has a brilliant future
Nice , I love the car already.

Old 04-22-2009, 02:19 PM
Teamspeed Pro
tractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond repute
Looks awesome, so would this be more expensive than a Cayman??

Old 04-22-2009, 02:28 PM
Teamspeed Pro
LABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond repute
Gorgeous.

I love the 928, this will be amazing.

Old 04-22-2009, 02:36 PM
AMGFanatic
MeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond repute
928 is an amazing, car I love the GT look. Lets see how it might look, it could be my next car.

Old 04-22-2009, 04:05 PM
Teamspeed Pro
4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute
They better start designing right now, by the time it's done the crisis will be over.

Old 04-22-2009, 06:32 PM
M44
Teamspeed Member
M44 has a reputation beyond reputeM44 has a reputation beyond reputeM44 has a reputation beyond reputeM44 has a reputation beyond reputeM44 has a reputation beyond reputeM44 has a reputation beyond reputeM44 has a reputation beyond reputeM44 has a reputation beyond reputeM44 has a reputation beyond reputeM44 has a reputation beyond reputeM44 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by tractorcrusher
Looks awesome, so would this be more expensive than a Cayman??
If history is anything to go by, when the 928 ceased production in the 90s I believe the price for a fully loaded model was somewhere in the neighborhood of $160,000.

Old 04-22-2009, 06:41 PM
Teamspeed Member
NinjaBoy is a glorious beacon of lightNinjaBoy is a glorious beacon of lightNinjaBoy is a glorious beacon of lightNinjaBoy is a glorious beacon of lightNinjaBoy is a glorious beacon of lightNinjaBoy is a glorious beacon of lightNinjaBoy is a glorious beacon of lightNinjaBoy is a glorious beacon of lightNinjaBoy is a glorious beacon of lightNinjaBoy is a glorious beacon of lightNinjaBoy is a glorious beacon of light
I always loved the 928 especially the GT version... They are special to me. Wud love to have one if i cud find one in a great shape

Old 04-22-2009, 07:32 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
cheeta will become famous soon enoughcheeta will become famous soon enoughcheeta will become famous soon enoughcheeta will become famous soon enoughcheeta will become famous soon enoughcheeta will become famous soon enoughcheeta will become famous soon enough
i love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-22-2009, 08:37 PM
TeH Ears
chokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond repute
Hot damn I love that.

Quick Reply: Porsche 928 set to return