Notices
Pit-Stop Discussion Forum For Racing/Track events, DE/Autocross, Professional Racing Events, Nascar, Formula 1, IndyCar, & More.

80th Anniversary 24 Heures du Mans Banter Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 08:44 AM
Teamspeed Pro
"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Alzilla
But they dumb down the F1 content and have way more commercials when it's on FOX.
But in general, auto racing is a commercial and if it wasn't then it probably would have been banned back in the '50s/'60s when its was killing so many drivers and spectators.

In a time when ESPN/ABC can't justify showing Sebring or the Petit Le Man in their entirety, its understandable that FOX/F1 are trying to relate to a wider audience by 'dumbing down the F1 content'. I am of the belief that the only reason that SPEED is showing so much of this years LM 24 is that Toyota and other manufacturers have invested heavily in advertising on the channel during this 80th anniversary race. Personally, I won't mind the constant ads as long as we get plenty of live coverage without a seven hour break so that SPEED can run 'Cooter's Dirt Track Hootenanny brought to you by Bass Pro Shops'.

To end my rant, let me say that I actually like the F1 commentators on SPEED. Bob Varsha knows his shit and has bangin' hair. I can relate to Steve Matchett b/c I think we're both pricks at heart. I am pretty sure that David Hobbs is scotch drunk during most the races. I even like Will Buxton, though he could use more restraint with the twitter stuff.

Maybe if 'real auto racing' gets a wider audience in the US, we'll get coverage almost to the level of MotorsTV in europe. At least that is my hope.

Back to Le Mans bantering...

Last edited by "The JC"; 06-13-2012 at 08:45 AM.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:41 AM
Teamspeed Pro
TTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond repute
Jc I have to tell you I enjoyed that rant cooters hootenanny had me dying at my desk. I also don't mind SPEED coverage of the F1 races at all actually. For le mans I will most likely put the RadioLeMans broadcast on the whole time as I think those guys do a much better job than just about anything else.

Either way I cannot wait for this year!

Old 06-13-2012, 09:49 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Guest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by JC919
But in general, auto racing is a commercial and if it wasn't then it probably would have been banned back in the '50s/'60s when its was killing so many drivers and spectators.

In a time when ESPN/ABC can't justify showing Sebring or the Petit Le Man in their entirety, its understandable that FOX/F1 are trying to relate to a wider audience by 'dumbing down the F1 content'. I am of the belief that the only reason that SPEED is showing so much of this years LM 24 is that Toyota and other manufacturers have invested heavily in advertising on the channel during this 80th anniversary race. Personally, I won't mind the constant ads as long as we get plenty of live coverage without a seven hour break so that SPEED can run 'Cooter's Dirt Track Hootenanny brought to you by Bass Pro Shops'.

To end my rant, let me say that I actually like the F1 commentators on SPEED. Bob Varsha knows his shit and has bangin' hair. I can relate to Steve Matchett b/c I think we're both pricks at heart. I am pretty sure that David Hobbs is scotch drunk during most the races. I even like Will Buxton, though he could use more restraint with the twitter stuff.

Maybe if 'real auto racing' gets a wider audience in the US, we'll get coverage almost to the level of MotorsTV in europe. At least that is my hope.

Back to Le Mans bantering...
I also really like the F1 team they have; I cringe when someone is out sick, traveling, doing another race, etc. and they have a fill-in like Rick DeBruhl, who is basically un-watchable for me. The trio they have in place exhibit great chemistry and are very familiar to long-time F1 fans.

Sadly, there is not enough of an audience for a "real auto racing" channel in America; I would, however, pay big bucks (probably up to $500 per annum) for an entirely internet-based service that covered all forms of motorsport that interested me (including practice, qualifying, etc.), had great expert commentary, and allowed me to save and replay.

I also think there's room somewhere for a race series to fill in some of the gaps / dislocations that exist in motorsports: There are lots (dozens? - Estoril, Imola, A1 Ring, Fuji,Turkey) of wonderful tracks in Europe and ROW that have fallen out of favor - or will soon - in F1 due to Bernie's globalizing impetus, not to mention North American tracks. I would very much enjoy watching race cars with little in the way of driver aids contest a worldwide series on those tracks as well as others in the Americas. Maybe I'm crazy?

Old 06-13-2012, 11:22 AM
Teamspeed Pro
TTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond repute
^ I would pay for the same gladly!!!

Old 06-13-2012, 11:49 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Guest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond repute
Wink

Originally Posted by TTM0TION
^ I would pay for the same gladly!!!
Ok, group buy?

Old 06-13-2012, 11:56 AM
Teamspeed Pro
alwin has a reputation beyond reputealwin has a reputation beyond reputealwin has a reputation beyond reputealwin has a reputation beyond reputealwin has a reputation beyond reputealwin has a reputation beyond reputealwin has a reputation beyond reputealwin has a reputation beyond reputealwin has a reputation beyond reputealwin has a reputation beyond reputealwin has a reputation beyond repute
Next JC is going to tell me Top Gear America is the same as Top Gear UK...

But yes, back to Le Mans banter, I hope Peugeot keeps it clean this year; using back markers to cockblock was very unsportsmanlike.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:21 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Carrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by alwin

But yes, back to Le Mans banter, I hope Peugeot keeps it clean this year; using back markers to cockblock was very unsportsmanlike.
Peugeot unfortunately has completely dropped out this year.

Old 06-13-2012, 01:27 PM
Teamspeed Pro
alwin has a reputation beyond reputealwin has a reputation beyond reputealwin has a reputation beyond reputealwin has a reputation beyond reputealwin has a reputation beyond reputealwin has a reputation beyond reputealwin has a reputation beyond reputealwin has a reputation beyond reputealwin has a reputation beyond reputealwin has a reputation beyond reputealwin has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Carrera
Peugeot unfortunately has completely dropped out this year.
So just Toyota vs Audi? Oh man...

Old 06-13-2012, 02:24 PM
Teamspeed Pro
"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by alwin

Well all of the bits are stolen from the original, but with shit execution and even worse hosts.

Peugeot dropped out a while ago btw. Yes, Audi is competing against the Toyota, which imo won't truly be competitive for another year.

Last edited by "The JC"; 06-13-2012 at 02:26 PM.
Old 06-13-2012, 02:53 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
st00ge has a reputation beyond reputest00ge has a reputation beyond reputest00ge has a reputation beyond reputest00ge has a reputation beyond reputest00ge has a reputation beyond reputest00ge has a reputation beyond reputest00ge has a reputation beyond reputest00ge has a reputation beyond reputest00ge has a reputation beyond reputest00ge has a reputation beyond reputest00ge has a reputation beyond repute
Free Practice over and Audi clan out front, first qualifying up in around an hour.

Results
http://live.lemans-tv.com/en/

Quick Reply: 80th Anniversary 24 Heures du Mans Banter Thread