Notices
Pit-Stop Discussion Forum For Racing/Track events, DE/Autocross, Professional Racing Events, Nascar, Formula 1, IndyCar, & More.

Ecclestone: Teams will decide if Bahrain happens

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 12:56 PM
FIGJAM
IIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond repute
Ecclestone: Teams will decide if Bahrain happens

Ecclestone: Teams will decide if Bahrain happens - GPUpdate.net

Shanghai’s proposed team meeting is set to confirm the fate of the Bahrain Grand Prix, as Bernie Ecclestone has finally spoken. The head of Formula One Management stresses that the ongoing situation is ‘nothing to do with finance’, but also notes that not attending will have commercial ramifications for teams.

Last week, Ecclestone was quoted as saying that the overall Bahrain situation is ‘business as usual’ and blamed the media for hyping up the ongoing conflict. However, the number of protests – some directly against the F1 race - have risen in recent weeks and on Monday seven policeman were injured by a home-made bomb.

With fear growing in the F1 fraternity as teams head towards China, several Team Principal have already anonymously said that they hope governing body the FIA cancels the race for the second year running. On Saturday, the teams are expected to meet and decide whether or not to boycott the Sakhir event.

“We've no way we can force people to go there,” Ecclestone, who is paid by the circuits to host F1 races, told the Associated Press. “We can't say, ‘You've got to go’ - although they would be in breach of their agreement with us if they didn't go. Commercially they have to go, but whether they decide to or not is up to them. I've had no-one say anything other than, ‘We're going to be racing in Bahrain’.”

When asked if he still intends to travel to the Middle East, Ecclestone replied:

“Yes. If the people in Bahrain are happy that they can run the event. We're not involved in any of the politics in Bahrain, over who is right or wrong. When you go to somebody's country you have to respect exactly how they run their country and the laws of that country. The National Sporting Authority in that country are the people who can say, ‘Well, we think we'd prefer not to run the event’. The promoter can also say we don't want it because there is too much risk.

“We've an agreement with the FIA that Bahrain is a round of the World Championship and we've a contract with the promoters, but I want to make clear it's nothing to do with finance. I've spoken to Mr. (Jean) Todt (FIA President), we keep in close contact, and he's going out there, so we'll have a chat then and we always meet with the teams.”

If the race happens, F1 personnel are expected to arrive in the Arab Kingdom on or around Wednesday of next week, with the race scheduled for Sunday 22 April.

Old 04-10-2012, 04:19 PM
ECB
Teamspeed Pro
ECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond repute
but I want to make clear it's nothing to do with finance
no no,..never ever..

me,Mr. Ecclestone..?I`m only here for the love of the sport you know..

stfu man

Bahrain is going to happen - period!

Old 04-10-2012, 09:05 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
st00ge has a reputation beyond reputest00ge has a reputation beyond reputest00ge has a reputation beyond reputest00ge has a reputation beyond reputest00ge has a reputation beyond reputest00ge has a reputation beyond reputest00ge has a reputation beyond reputest00ge has a reputation beyond reputest00ge has a reputation beyond reputest00ge has a reputation beyond reputest00ge has a reputation beyond repute
Mr E just doesn't want to be the one who says no..

Name:  14115.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  128.3 KB

they really want them their it seems..

Old 04-10-2012, 09:12 PM
Teamspeed Pro
TTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond repute
I must apologize for being so out of touch but why are they so pissed at F1 in Bahrain?

Old 04-10-2012, 10:03 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
st00ge has a reputation beyond reputest00ge has a reputation beyond reputest00ge has a reputation beyond reputest00ge has a reputation beyond reputest00ge has a reputation beyond reputest00ge has a reputation beyond reputest00ge has a reputation beyond reputest00ge has a reputation beyond reputest00ge has a reputation beyond reputest00ge has a reputation beyond reputest00ge has a reputation beyond repute
My very uneducated opinion is Bahrain government are using the F1 event to try and show it is business as usual/everything is going swell and the ones protesting see F1 as an opportunity to get wider coverage of their own message that all is not going well..

Either way I don't think F1 should be putting themselves and the teams right in the middle of this, but Bernie has no doubt taken their money up front and as long as "he" doesn't cancel the event he probably doesn't have the give the ~$30mill fee back yet, just "try" and fit the race in at a later date as he would have the contract written firmly in his favour. It is all about the cash and not pissing off the people with the money in Bahrain for Bernie, he no doubt cares little for either side of the argument and just their to advance his own position..

also the support of the event by Mclaren is clouded due to being half owned by a Bahrain govco linked investment company and again no wanting to upset the apple cart.

Last edited by st00ge; 04-10-2012 at 10:12 PM.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:11 PM
The black sheep of the family.
vtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond repute
Only the FIA can truly cancel the event. If anyone else does, there will be breaches of contract all over the place.

Bahrain members, what's your opinion on the local sentiment?

Old 04-11-2012, 06:00 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Originally Posted by vtgts300kw
Only the FIA can truly cancel the event. If anyone else does, there will be breaches of contract all over the place.

Bahrain members, what's your opinion on the local sentiment?

Same here would love to hear another point of view..

Re the FIA you are right it ultimately has to come from them, but the teams as a group would force the FIA's hand... Also Nicolas Todt it tied up with some Bahrain royal family member with another motorsport team so no doubt Jean is trying not to trample on to many toes..

Last edited by st00ge; 04-11-2012 at 06:01 AM.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:04 AM
AMGFanatic
MeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond repute
LMFAO wil be partying hard over at Sakhir.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:26 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
JuiceBox has a reputation beyond reputeJuiceBox has a reputation beyond reputeJuiceBox has a reputation beyond reputeJuiceBox has a reputation beyond reputeJuiceBox has a reputation beyond reputeJuiceBox has a reputation beyond reputeJuiceBox has a reputation beyond reputeJuiceBox has a reputation beyond reputeJuiceBox has a reputation beyond reputeJuiceBox has a reputation beyond reputeJuiceBox has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MeanMachine
LMFAO wil be partying hard over at Sakhir.
Thats what I'm saying!

Guys I made a thread about this over in the middle east section because I'm planning on attending the race. The consensus seems to be that while there is political unrest, its relatively business-as-usual over there right now.

I was there last week and would have no idea there was anything going on if I didnt read the news.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:40 AM
AMGFanatic
MeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by JuiceBox
Thats what I'm saying!

Guys I made a thread about this over in the middle east section because I'm planning on attending the race. The consensus seems to be that while there is political unrest, its relatively business-as-usual over there right now.

I was there last week and would have no idea there was anything going on if I didnt read the news.
Conditions are much better than that of previous year, there is a big chance that the show will go on.

Quick Reply: Ecclestone: Teams will decide if Bahrain happens