Notices
Pit-Stop Discussion Forum For Racing/Track events, DE/Autocross, Professional Racing Events, Nascar, Formula 1, IndyCar, & More.

Massive GT Cup crash at Macau 2011

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 05:12 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Terrible accident made worse by bad corner workers.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:22 AM
Teamspeed Pro
RDuke has a reputation beyond reputeRDuke has a reputation beyond reputeRDuke has a reputation beyond reputeRDuke has a reputation beyond reputeRDuke has a reputation beyond reputeRDuke has a reputation beyond reputeRDuke has a reputation beyond reputeRDuke has a reputation beyond reputeRDuke has a reputation beyond reputeRDuke has a reputation beyond reputeRDuke has a reputation beyond repute
Track workers failed big time on that one. The mid pack was still at race speed coming through that oil down.

Old 11-23-2011, 11:27 AM
Its only three o'clock....wtf
JonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond repute
That was a wicked wreck. Glad everyone made it out alive.

Old 11-23-2011, 11:52 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Slayclops You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Slayclops You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Slayclops You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Slayclops You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Slayclops You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Slayclops You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Slayclops You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Slayclops You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Slayclops You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Slayclops You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Slayclops You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Damn! How the Porsche driver made it okay. I still can't believe the slam the Porsche took when the F430 hit it.

Old 11-23-2011, 12:15 PM
Kenyan
M-Individual has a reputation beyond reputeM-Individual has a reputation beyond reputeM-Individual has a reputation beyond reputeM-Individual has a reputation beyond reputeM-Individual has a reputation beyond reputeM-Individual has a reputation beyond reputeM-Individual has a reputation beyond reputeM-Individual has a reputation beyond reputeM-Individual has a reputation beyond reputeM-Individual has a reputation beyond reputeM-Individual has a reputation beyond repute
Wow, that was crazy, glad to hear everybody is alright. They need to have a school for training these course workers, they have just as much responsibility as the drivers do in slowing down these cars so no one gets hurt. They didn't do there job well enough on this case

Old 11-23-2011, 01:27 PM
jph
Teamspeed Junior Member
jph has a brilliant futurejph has a brilliant futurejph has a brilliant futurejph has a brilliant futurejph has a brilliant futurejph has a brilliant futurejph has a brilliant futurejph has a brilliant futurejph has a brilliant futurejph has a brilliant futurejph has a brilliant future
Did anyone else notice the bonnet (trunk lid?) was open on the 911 before it crashed? I wonder what happened before it came into camera shot?

Sent from my MB860 using Teamspeed

Old 11-23-2011, 03:53 PM
Rolex Fanboy
h20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond repute
Without knowing what really happened prior to this corner you can't blame the course workers.

I suspect a mechanical dumped oil. This the reason the first cars slid around the corner.

I hadn't noticed the hood of the gt3 until you pointed it out and this could have been a number of things. Possibly crew member error. It happens alot. Crews get busy and forget the small stuff. Possibly it took a few laps to break loose and this is the reason the gt3 took that corner at full speed. He couldn't see what was coming and didn't react fast enough when the hood popped.

The corner workers in view are doing everything they can in this instance. Whether the turn before was doing their job who knows but I suspect this was a 1 corner problem. I can't tell if there is a red dot in the middle of those yellow flags or not on my iPad so possibly they were warning of a hazardous mechanical in that corner but it was made worse by that gt3 losing its hood.

Don't be quick to judge turn workers. They've saved mine and 1000'sof lives over the years and I think 99.99999% of them are awesome.

Old 11-23-2011, 07:55 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Pinned has a reputation beyond reputePinned has a reputation beyond reputePinned has a reputation beyond reputePinned has a reputation beyond reputePinned has a reputation beyond reputePinned has a reputation beyond reputePinned has a reputation beyond reputePinned has a reputation beyond reputePinned has a reputation beyond reputePinned has a reputation beyond reputePinned has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by h20skier
Without knowing what really happened prior to this corner you can't blame the course workers.

I suspect a mechanical dumped oil. This the reason the first cars slid around the corner.

I hadn't noticed the hood of the gt3 until you pointed it out and this could have been a number of things. Possibly crew member error. It happens alot. Crews get busy and forget the small stuff. Possibly it took a few laps to break loose and this is the reason the gt3 took that corner at full speed. He couldn't see what was coming and didn't react fast enough when the hood popped.

The corner workers in view are doing everything they can in this instance. Whether the turn before was doing their job who knows but I suspect this was a 1 corner problem. I can't tell if there is a red dot in the middle of those yellow flags or not on my iPad so possibly they were warning of a hazardous mechanical in that corner but it was made worse by that gt3 losing its hood.

Don't be quick to judge turn workers. They've saved mine and 1000'sof lives over the years and I think 99.99999% of them are awesome.
Agreed. The corner workers are only human, and I'm sure they are doing the best they can do. At this level of racing, it is also safe to assume that the corner workers are not novices.

Glad to hear that all the drivers are alive, hopefully a speedy recovery for the injured ferrari driver. That was an absolutely nasty crash, watching the porsche get hit that hard was intense.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:05 PM
New OG
samuel.g has a reputation beyond reputesamuel.g has a reputation beyond reputesamuel.g has a reputation beyond reputesamuel.g has a reputation beyond reputesamuel.g has a reputation beyond reputesamuel.g has a reputation beyond reputesamuel.g has a reputation beyond reputesamuel.g has a reputation beyond reputesamuel.g has a reputation beyond reputesamuel.g has a reputation beyond reputesamuel.g has a reputation beyond repute
It was oil, it's written in the original post:

"The audi r8 engine blew up and was leaking oil. The (pro) driver kept racing and spilt oil over the racing line.
This is a very fast corner and drivers barely lift from the throttle going round it; if there is oil on the braking zone, its almost impossible to slow down."

Very scary to watch, I would've been scared as shit being in the gt3. He knew he had a big chance of getting hit. Looks like he clipped the wall before the curve also which would explain why the hood was already open.

Old 11-25-2011, 12:05 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
sk8boy has a reputation beyond reputesk8boy has a reputation beyond reputesk8boy has a reputation beyond reputesk8boy has a reputation beyond reputesk8boy has a reputation beyond reputesk8boy has a reputation beyond reputesk8boy has a reputation beyond reputesk8boy has a reputation beyond reputesk8boy has a reputation beyond reputesk8boy has a reputation beyond reputesk8boy has a reputation beyond repute
found another video of the same crash

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clFaa0WLIEs

Quick Reply: Massive GT Cup crash at Macau 2011