Notices
Pit-Stop Discussion Forum For Racing/Track events, DE/Autocross, Professional Racing Events, Nascar, Formula 1, IndyCar, & More.

Renault Still Unsure About Kubica's Future

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 06:59 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute

Photo and Text by Dana Larkin

With the 2011 season rapidly reaching an end, any respectable Formula 1 team is already gearing up for the 2012 campaign. Obviously, Renault is no exception. After squandering a promising start and making a controversial midseason switch from driver Nick Heidfeld to Bruno Senna, Renault is anxious to fully implement a new strategy. As part of its new program, Romain Grosjean is scheduled to test for Renault during Friday practice at the upcoming Abu Dhabi Grand Prix. Despite these developments, a gaping hole remains in Renault’s plans – what about Robert Kubica?

While on the verge of superstardom at Renault, Kubica suffered life-threatening injuries in a Rallying accident shortly before the start of the 2011 season. His recovery has been understandably up and down. The only constant has been a lack of any details flowing from Kubica’s management team. As the days tick on, Renault is getting understandably restless as it awaits word on a potential Kubica comeback.

“The last information I have is that we will have to sit down and discuss how we can handle his [Kubica's] comeback, because I don’t believe he can commit in the coming days. In the coming weeks maybe – but not coming days.” Renault boss Eric Boullier stated. “So we have to make sure that we work together on a plan for him to come back. But I still need to have a proper plan to make sure that . . . we go forward in a good way.”

While the word from Kubica’s camp remains upbeat and his manager insists that he will make a comeback to the grid, Renault continues to operate largely in the dark regarding any specifics.

“I know they are very confident and I am happy about this, because I am the first one wishing to have Robert back in the car, but nobody knows. Boullier told Autosport. “Nobody has a medical report and nobody has seen him driving a car and being at speed. Until we see him and have the confirmation then, we cannot say anything. And we need to keep, unfortunately, the option of not having him back. I am in regular contact with his manager, but until he is driving the car we do not know.”

Given the severe nature of Kubica’s injuries – particularly to his right hand – some medical experts are skeptical about his ability to drive competitively again.

Last edited by Barrister; 11-02-2011 at 07:02 PM.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:01 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Shadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond repute
Great Article Dana! I hope to see Kubica pull through and race again, but I still have doubts that he's regained full function/mobility.

Old 11-02-2011, 07:54 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
I too, would love to see Kubica return to F1 but I'm still skeptical. I imagine we'll hear more once the season is over and the teams start testing again.

Old 11-02-2011, 07:57 PM
Teamspeed Pro
TTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond repute
I too hope he can gain his seat back but is that even realistic. Can a man be out of F1 for a full season at his peak basically bedridden for the duration and come back and compete at motorsports highest level?

Old 11-02-2011, 08:02 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
No team that views itself in contention is going to wait until the end of the season to seat their drivers unless they are moving to a guy with tons of experience - like Alonso.

Renault made some very screwy decisions this year. Letting Heidfeld go just didn't make any sense.

Here is your fun fact for the day: Even though he was dropped half way through the season (after round 11), Heidfeld is still TENTH in the driver's standings with 34 points - only 2 points below his teammate who has had the benefit of all 17 races.

Heidfeld's replacement has scored a grand total of 2 points in 6 races.

Last edited by Barrister; 11-02-2011 at 08:05 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:14 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
KristofD10 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!KristofD10 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!KristofD10 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!KristofD10 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!KristofD10 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!KristofD10 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!KristofD10 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!KristofD10 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!KristofD10 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!KristofD10 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!KristofD10 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
I hope that Kubica is going to race again, he's a great F1 driver, I've always been a fan. He has this no-nonsense style, something I really like.

Replacing Heidfeld wasn't a good thing, but it showed that Renault had to do something, they were still hoping to win the same amount of points that Kubica won for the team.

I really hope that Kubica is going to make his come-back, if it isn't for the next season, well then hopefully in 2013.

Old 11-03-2011, 01:58 PM
Teamspeed Pro
We all hope that Robert makes it back to the grid.

But the point of the story is whether or not Renault can wait for him.

I don't think so.

If he does come back, it will have to be with a lesser team.

Old 11-03-2011, 02:03 PM
FIGJAM
IIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond repute
he cant even jerk it yet, doubt we will see him driving in the near term

Old 11-03-2011, 02:39 PM
Teamspeed Pro
bonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by IIVVX
he cant even jerk it yet, doubt we will see him driving in the near term
And you know this how?

He didn't just break a few bones in his hand. From the descriptions, he had a limb replant. Best he can hope for is a functional hand, not one that can withstand the rigors of F1. I said it before: Talk of him returning at the end of this season was absurd. He's never going to be a competitive driver again.

Old 11-03-2011, 04:04 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Shadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Barrister
No team that views itself in contention is going to wait until the end of the season to seat their drivers unless they are moving to a guy with tons of experience - like Alonso.

Renault made some very screwy decisions this year. Letting Heidfeld go just didn't make any sense.

Here is your fun fact for the day: Even though he was dropped half way through the season (after round 11), Heidfeld is still TENTH in the driver's standings with 34 points - only 2 points below his teammate who has had the benefit of all 17 races.

Heidfeld's replacement has scored a grand total of 2 points in 6 races.
They did replace him with Bruno Senna

Quick Reply: Renault Still Unsure About Kubica's Future