Notices
Pit-Stop Discussion Forum For Racing/Track events, DE/Autocross, Professional Racing Events, Nascar, Formula 1, IndyCar, & More.

Renault And Heidfeld Settle Out Of Court

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 02:11 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
Renault And Heidfeld Settle Out Of Court

Heidfeld Settles With Renault

Text and Photo by Dana Larkin

Nick Heidfeld and Renault have settled out of court today, clearing the way for Bruno Senna to race for the rest of the 2011 season.

Heidfeld joined Renault just weeks before the season began after Robert Kubica suffered near fatal injuries in a rallying accident. After facing a mid-season drop in performance, Renault replaced Heidfeld with Senna prior to the Belgium Grand Prix. As a result, Heidfeld threatened legal action to regain his seat. On Friday - however - the two came to a settlement and avoided an lengthy and distracting court battle.

"Our disagreement with Nick has been the subject of much media coverage lately, and we are pleased to have reached a swift and reasonable solution," Renault boss Eric Boullier said. "Our separation process was already a painful one, and neither of us wanted to go through another legal hearing. We're very grateful to Nick for the highly valuable contribution he's made to the team. We certainly had good times together, in particular remembering our podium finish in Malaysia. He is a very strong and determined racer and we wish him every success in the future."

During his 11 races with the team, Heidfeld scored 34 championship points - more than his teammate Vitaly Petrov who is still with the team. Nevertheless, Boullier has expressed disappointment in Heidfeld's performance and that the German driver never lived up to the team's expectations.

"Obviously I'm disappointed to be leaving Lotus Renault GP in the middle of the season. I thought I could still make a big contribution to the team, but I have to see things as they are and I want to turn my attention to the future. We have taken the right decision by choosing to end our collaboration today. I would like to wish all the friends I made at Enstone a successful end to the season. One thing is for sure - I'll be back racing at the highest level soon."

Last edited by Barrister; 09-02-2011 at 02:12 PM.