Notices
Pit-Stop Discussion Forum For Racing/Track events, DE/Autocross, Professional Racing Events, Nascar, Formula 1, IndyCar, & More.

Ecclestone to meet with New York mayor

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 10:07 PM
FIGJAM
IIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond repute
Ecclestone to meet with New York mayor

Ecclestone to meet with New York mayor - GPUpdate.net

Bernie Ecclestone will be meeting with New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg this weekend to discuss the possibility of a future race in the American state. The site currently under consideration is located on Staten Island, with the plans for a 5.8-km (3.6-mile) circuit in Liberty State Park released in May last year.

Ecclestone's decision to visit the site over the next few days means that he will miss the season-opening race in Melbourne. However, Australian Grand Prix Chairman Ron Walker is remaining upbeat about the future of the event, and is confident that the F1 supremo will remain supportive.

"It doesn't mean to say Bernie's lost interest (in our race)," Walker explained to local Australian reporters. "It's about business in New York. Mayor Bloomberg is pretty keen to get a race at Staten Island."

Old 03-23-2011, 10:08 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
Excited about this.

But Bernie is going to miss the opening race??

Whoa!

I will miss his "pissed off and unnecessarily abrasive" pre-race interview.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:02 AM
TS BMW Forums
mtechnik has a reputation beyond reputemtechnik has a reputation beyond reputemtechnik has a reputation beyond reputemtechnik has a reputation beyond reputemtechnik has a reputation beyond reputemtechnik has a reputation beyond reputemtechnik has a reputation beyond reputemtechnik has a reputation beyond reputemtechnik has a reputation beyond reputemtechnik has a reputation beyond reputemtechnik has a reputation beyond repute
Would love to see a NYC GP!

Speed also had a report about this.

Bernie Ecclestone is no longer travelling to Australia for this weekend's 2011 season opener.
The F1 chief executive's office had previously confirmed that the 80-year-old would be in Melbourne, but reports on Tuesday said Ecclestone has headed instead to New York.

Melbourne newspaper the Herald Sun said New York mayor Michael Bloomberg issued the invitation following speculation the Victorian government wanted to offload its race due to rising costs.

Bloomberg "invited Ecclestone to the US to hear his pitch for a race on Staten Island," said the report.

"As a result of what has happened in the last couple of weeks, mayor Bloomberg has been on to Mr. Ecclestone," confirmed Australian Grand Prix Corporation chairman Ron Walker.

"It's not just a fight against New York, it's a fight against everybody. Delhi is opening up, there will be one in Russia, Korea has come on stream ... the other Arab states want it, so there will always be a fight," he added.

In other Ecclestone news, the F1 chief executive is reportedly "happy" to make himself "available as a witness" as German prosecutors investigate a corruption scandal.

Banker Gerhard Gribkowsky is detained in Munich, accused of receiving $50 million that some German media suspect was paid by Ecclestone amid the sale of the sport five years ago.

Ecclestone has denied the accusations of bribery and, according to his German lawyer Sven Thomas, is willing to assist the investigation, a report in the Suddeutsche Zeitung claims.

The report also quoted Ecclestone's lawyer as saying he is willing to "testify as a witness."

At the same time, the Telegraph in London claims Ecclestone has been cleared of wrongdoing by a separate investigation instigated by F1's owner CVC.

The investigation was conducted by external auditors and Ecclestone commented: "That has all gone on and they haven't found anything (wrong)."

The Briton acknowledged, however, that CVC wishes "all this with Gerhard hadn't have happened" even though the private equity firm "isn't looking at selling" its majority stake of the sport.

[Via: Speed]

Old 03-24-2011, 10:05 AM
Nutcrusher
strebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond repute

Old 03-24-2011, 10:16 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
I hope his absence in Melbourne is a good sign that the NYC race is a go. I'd love to see two races in the US!

Old 03-24-2011, 10:43 AM
FIGJAM
IIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond repute
i know its silly but i was hoping it would be a street circuit through manhattan

staten island is a more logical choice though

Old 03-24-2011, 11:23 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Bodhii has much to be proud ofBodhii has much to be proud ofBodhii has much to be proud ofBodhii has much to be proud ofBodhii has much to be proud ofBodhii has much to be proud ofBodhii has much to be proud ofBodhii has much to be proud ofBodhii has much to be proud ofBodhii has much to be proud ofBodhii has much to be proud of
Notice he is NOT visiting Austin. I will believe F1 in Texas only when I see it. Its pure NASCAR country. I do hope NY gets a F1 race, but I would prefer to see it happen on the West Coast.

Old 03-24-2011, 12:04 PM
Teamspeed Member
Turbogallardo You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Turbogallardo You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Turbogallardo You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Turbogallardo You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Turbogallardo You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Turbogallardo You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Turbogallardo You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Turbogallardo You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Turbogallardo You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Turbogallardo You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Turbogallardo You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
As an NYC resident and an F1 buff the thought of a GP in NY excites me, although Staten Island is hardly the place to provide the elegant backdrop that is part and parcel of the F1 circus. I can just see it now, the US Grand Prix at the Staten Island Fresh Kills Landfill.

I think a GP through the streets of Manhattan would be much more fitting, just watch out for those pot holes!

Old 03-24-2011, 12:27 PM
Former Sponsor
ADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond repute
NY F1 race would be cool but frankly at the loss of the Melbourne GP? I'd rather have the Aussie race - its always such a great race.

Old 03-24-2011, 01:01 PM
Teamspeed Pro
alkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond repute
They need to do a race in NYC, close off some streets, and make it like Monaco GP.
Would be epic.

Quick Reply: Ecclestone to meet with New York mayor