Notices
Pit-Stop Discussion Forum For Racing/Track events, DE/Autocross, Professional Racing Events, Nascar, Formula 1, IndyCar, & More.

Tony Stewart and Lewis Hamilton to switch cars

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 10:44 PM
Teamspeed Pro
bdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond repute
Tony Stewart and Lewis Hamilton to switch cars

Not sure if you guys have come across this yet, but it seems pretty interesting and I hope more details are revealed soon:

"Barring an unforeseen scheduling hiccup, two-time NASCAR champion Tony Stewart and 2008 Formula 1 World Champion Lewis Hamilton will swap race cars in an exhibition later this year, Stewart-Haas Racing spokesman Mike Arning confirmed Saturday.

The seat swap comes at the hands of Mobil 1, a mutual sponsor for the two drivers, and is expected to take place at Watkins Glen International sometime during the summer.

The cars involved will not be show cars. They will be legitimate race-prepared machines.

Hamilton will man Stewart's road course ready No. 14 Chevrolet Impala, and Stewart will drive Hamilton's 2010-model F1 McClaren. The respective drivers' race teams will travel with them to the event to tune the cars.

Stewart was not available for comment Saturday.

This isn't the first time NASCAR and F1 have hosted an event like this. In 2003, Jeff Gordon traded rides with Juan Pablo Montoya at Indianapolis Motor Speedway, after which both expressed greater appreciation for the other's respective discipline. Gordon made two runs in Montoya's BMW/Williams F1 machine.

"To get the opportunity here today to do this fulfills really every desire and dream that I had," Gordon said at the time.

Marty Smith is a contributor to ESPN's NASCAR coverage. He can be reached at ESPNsider@aol.com."

Source: NASCAR's Tony Stewart, F1's Lewis Hamilton to swap cars - ESPN

Old 02-26-2011, 10:57 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Jeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond repute
That's really cool.

I remember seeing footage of the Gordon/Montoya exhibition, and Gordon did very well in the car. Of course, this exhibition is what got Montoya very interested in Stock cars. Could we see Hamilton in Nascar in a few years??

Old 02-26-2011, 11:01 PM
Teamspeed Pro
bdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond repute
I doubt it, but you never know. Maybe his girlfriend (is he still with Nicole?) can convince him to retire to the U.S. and have fun with NASCAR for a few years.

I remember Gordon commenting after his test drive that he had much more respect for the F1 drivers, and realized why all their necks were huge since they have so many Gs to endure.

I do have one question though about this Stewart/Hamilton event: how are they going to fit Stewart into that McLaren?

Old 02-26-2011, 11:18 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Jeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bdeitemeyer
I doubt it, but you never know. Maybe his girlfriend (is he still with Nicole?) can convince him to retire to the U.S. and have fun with NASCAR for a few years.

I remember Gordon commenting after his test drive that he had much more respect for the F1 drivers, and realized why all their necks were huge since they have so many Gs to endure.

I do have one question though about this Stewart/Hamilton event: how are they going to fit Stewart into that McLaren?
I think he will have to lay off the cheeseburgers until the event

Old 02-26-2011, 11:20 PM
Teamspeed Pro
GuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond repute
Thats awesome, I bet Stewart tears it up. I think he is a very well rounded racer.

Old 02-27-2011, 12:05 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
fat cab has a reputation beyond reputefat cab has a reputation beyond reputefat cab has a reputation beyond reputefat cab has a reputation beyond reputefat cab has a reputation beyond reputefat cab has a reputation beyond reputefat cab has a reputation beyond reputefat cab has a reputation beyond reputefat cab has a reputation beyond reputefat cab has a reputation beyond reputefat cab has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Jeff_NJ
I think he will have to lay off the cheeseburgers until the event
remove all safety padding inside of the car,no drivers suit or helmet,and adjust car height to "rain mode".Heavy duty springs and shocks..good luck getting him out..

Old 02-27-2011, 12:21 PM
Rolex Fanboy
h20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by GuessWho
Thats awesome, I bet Stewart tears it up. I think he is a very well rounded racer.
Well Rounded

Until this year he was an asshat every time he road raced. Let's hope he doesn't take the attitude to the F1 cars. It will be expensive for the car owners.

Watkins race is the one Nascar race I like to watch. Should be interesting to see how the F1 driver does in the big tanks.

Old 02-27-2011, 12:43 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Hopefully they televise the event. That would be a lot of fun to watch! I'm curious to see how Stewart will do behind the wheel (if he fits).

Old 02-27-2011, 05:32 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
SilverOne is on a distinguished roadSilverOne is on a distinguished road
I think Stewart, once in the car of course, will do well just like Gordon. We all ought to remember that even though the times look close/competitive when these guys get their first ride in a F1 car, those last tenths and hundredths are very difficult to come by even for guys like Gordon and Stewart (and even Montoya) - don't believe they are just as competitive in an F1, no way.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:53 PM
Teamspeed Pro
.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute
Tony Stewart is one lucky guy. I'd love to get some seat time behind an F1 car

Quick Reply: Tony Stewart and Lewis Hamilton to switch cars