Notices
Pit-Stop Discussion Forum For Racing/Track events, DE/Autocross, Professional Racing Events, Nascar, Formula 1, IndyCar, & More.

Construction Starts At US Grand Prix Venue

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 05:32 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
Construction Starts At US Grand Prix Venue

THE FACTS

In what can only be described as a total thrill for U.S. F1 fans, officials have finally begun construction on the Austin circuit. Promoter Tavo Hellmund was in attendance at the official groundbreaking on Thursday at the Wandering Creek site.

The $250 million facility - which needs to be completed for the inaugural race in 2012 - only recently overcame significant administrative and logistical challenges in order to get the project under way. Conditional planning permission was only granted two weeks ago on the 970-acre site. Construction started on what will ultimately be Turn 11 at the circuit.

The Hermann Tilke designed track is being built by Dallas-based general contractor Austin Commercial. F1 officials have told Austin that the track must be completed by June 2012. As a result, it appears that the US GP will almost certainly be paired with the Grand Prix in Montreal Canada - possibly back-to-back on the calendar.

Hellmund - who suprised the racing world by stealing a spot on the calendar from other, high profile suitors - has been hard at work securing additional investment and backers. From all reports, he has been successful in doing so - even after the deal was made public. Most significantly, Hellmund has secured the support of former Minnesota Vikings owner and Texas tycoon Red McCombs.

According to reports, Bernie grilled McCombs about Hellmund's ability to construct a track from scratch in time to have a race in 2012. "How do you think you are going to get a facility built in Austin in time for the 2012 race" Bernie asked. McCombs then responded "remember you are talking about doing this in Texas, we are not talking about doing it anywhere else. We have that reputation."

MY TAKE

This is wonderful news and a real boost to all of those who have worked so hard to get this project underway. It is a shame that it had to be delayed by what were - almost entirely - frivolous and politically motivated objections.

It was almost certainly a part of the overall deal that the groundbreaking for the track be accomplished prior to the new year. Such clauses are common and tend to rush this sort of event out the door before all parties are entirely ready.

To be honest - despite this recent good news - I am still highly skeptical and nervous about Austin's ability to pull this off. I have no doubt that Austin will be a fantastic host city. But recent efforts to get F1 up and going in the U.S. have proven dreadful and embarrassing. Nothing could be worse for this event than rushing to finish the track and have it be an unfinished mess. We all saw what can happen when a track is not given the finishing touches at the Korean GP this year. Fans and F1 officials seemed to give Korea a break. I would not expect them to be so kind if Austin has similar issues.

Obviously, I am rooting for them and will be first in line for tickets once they go on sale. I am keeping my fingers crossed, but am still only cautiously optimistic.

SOURCES

Work underway at 2012 US GP site - Motorsport.com

autosport.com - Construction begins at new US GP venue

Last edited by Barrister; 12-31-2010 at 05:54 PM.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:36 PM
Teamspeed Pro
.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute
This is great news. I will be at every F1 race there. I'm so excited F1 is coming back to the states

I've looked around that area and it seems like there's nothing around it. Maybe it would be worth building a hotel or a Chili's or something around there

Old 12-31-2010, 06:46 PM
Teamspeed Pro
TeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond repute
Great to have u back bc I love threads like this! Good to hear but I am suspect of Austin being able to pull it off, maybe PNW would be better? Regardless it will be nice to have races in the USA and I can't wait to see a race. Ts meet in Austin in 2012?

Old 12-31-2010, 06:52 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
Definitely a TS meet at Austin in 2012.

I will likely do both the CGP and US GP. They are both great events.

Last edited by Barrister; 01-01-2011 at 09:59 PM.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:01 PM
Teamspeed Pro
There are over 30 "guests" viewing this post.

I suspect they are here because of the link on my Facebook page.

Consider joining the forum and participating in the discussion if possible. It is a great place to chat about F1 and cars in general.

Thanks for looking!

Dana

Old 12-31-2010, 07:42 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
I'll see you guys there in 2012!

Old 12-31-2010, 08:02 PM
Teamspeed Pro
frshcoupe has a reputation beyond reputefrshcoupe has a reputation beyond reputefrshcoupe has a reputation beyond reputefrshcoupe has a reputation beyond reputefrshcoupe has a reputation beyond reputefrshcoupe has a reputation beyond reputefrshcoupe has a reputation beyond reputefrshcoupe has a reputation beyond reputefrshcoupe has a reputation beyond reputefrshcoupe has a reputation beyond reputefrshcoupe has a reputation beyond repute
I hope they pull this off, that will be very exciting to see my first F1 race here, home in the states! That's if I don't get to go in 2011 of course. Are they going to start selling tickets in the beginning of 2012 or sometime in 2011? I'd love to buy tickets very early whenever possible.

Old 12-31-2010, 08:09 PM
Rolex Fanboy
h20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond repute
I'll go if Alzilla buys the beers

Old 12-31-2010, 08:11 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by h20skier
I'll go if Alzilla buys the beers
I'll have the Pacifico waiting on ice for you.

Old 12-31-2010, 08:13 PM
Teamspeed Pro
TeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond repute
DJ- I think you need to get a TS luxury box box....

Quick Reply: Construction Starts At US Grand Prix Venue