Notices
Pit-Stop Discussion Forum For Racing/Track events, DE/Autocross, Professional Racing Events, Nascar, Formula 1, IndyCar, & More.

FIA confirms new Formula 1 rules for 2011, 2013

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 03:14 PM
Teamspeed Pro
SpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation FIA confirms new Formula 1 rules for 2011, 2013

The rule prohibiting team orders will be "deleted" from the regulations in 2011, the FIA announced on Friday.

After a meeting in Monaco of the World Motor Sport Council, the sport's governing body said the controversial article 39.1 "is deleted" from the rules.

The regulation - introduced in 2002 - came under the spotlight this season, when Ferrari was penalised $100,000 but otherwise escaped without sanction for switching the order of Felipe Massa and Fernando Alonso by issuing a clandestine radio message.

Now, teams simply face the prospect of bringing "the sport into disrepute" according to the standard article 151c "and any other relevant provisions" will apply to their actions during grands prix.

Also rubber-stamped on Friday was the new four-cylinder turbo engine formula for 2013, including a five-engine per driver limit in 2013 reducing to four engines in 2014.

In 2011, gearboxes must be used for five consecutive races instead of four as was the case this year, and cars will feature moveable rear wings to boost overtaking.
Source: GMM

Read more: FIA confirms new Formula 1 rules for 2011, 2013

Old 12-10-2010, 03:16 PM
Teamspeed Pro
GrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond repute
WOW
We are going to have four banged??

Old 12-10-2010, 03:38 PM
Teamspeed Member
Murph5000 is just really niceMurph5000 is just really niceMurph5000 is just really niceMurph5000 is just really niceMurph5000 is just really niceMurph5000 is just really niceMurph5000 is just really niceMurph5000 is just really niceMurph5000 is just really niceMurph5000 is just really niceMurph5000 is just really nice
I'm pretty excited about the 4 cylinders. I know it won't be sky high power like the 1980's but I'm curious to see how that affects the driver performance and if it will lead to a bigger trickle-down effect from F1 than it has had in recent years.

Old 12-10-2010, 03:43 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
GroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Murph5000
I'm pretty excited about the 4 cylinders. I know it won't be sky high power like the 1980's but I'm curious to see how that affects the driver performance and if it will lead to a bigger trickle-down effect from F1 than it has had in recent years.
It'll be neat to see how the drivers respond to lag.

Old 12-10-2010, 03:56 PM
FIGJAM
IIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond repute
^ or lack thereof. this is exciting, a new turbo era

4 cylinder turbos are becoming so common in production cars it makes sense the manufacturers would want a representative engine in F1. there should be some significant advances made in turbo technology as a result, win all around.

Old 12-10-2010, 04:03 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
So... a few things I'd like to discuss about the rules:

Team orders - changing the rule from banning team orders to penalties for "bringing the sport into disrepute"... Allowing team orders will do just that, imo. I want to see the race won by whoever stays in front to the finish of the race, not who the team feels should win the race.

Turbocharged 4-cyl engines - Great idea to presumably cut costs in the long term. In the short term, this will cost teams an arm and a leg more than the motors that are currently available. I suppose teams will use the 5 engine per driver limit to save costs somewhat but considering there wasn't a single driver that made it through the season without using up all of their engines, I think cutting it further will prove to be a massive challenge. That being said, I'm looking forward to new engine rules because it'll be interesting to see what clever tricks the teams come up with to get the most performance out of the smaller engines.

Movable rear wings - Why have this AND KERS? Let's hope this really does finally prove to increase passing maneuvers as promised.

Anyway, that's my thoughts on the new rules.

Old 12-10-2010, 04:07 PM
FIGJAM
IIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond repute
the motors are more to do with keeping in line with what manufacturers are producing currently rather than cutting costs. F1 constructors know that their engine formula must have some relevance to the product they put out onto the market.

Old 12-10-2010, 04:29 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
GroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by IIVVX
the motors are more to do with keeping in line with what manufacturers are producing currently rather than cutting costs. F1 constructors know that their engine formula must have some relevance to the product they put out onto the market.
Exactly, and I am looking forward to my new Red Bull speedster just as much as I looked forward to my Benneton coupe!

Old 12-10-2010, 07:28 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
quattro joe has a reputation beyond reputequattro joe has a reputation beyond reputequattro joe has a reputation beyond reputequattro joe has a reputation beyond reputequattro joe has a reputation beyond reputequattro joe has a reputation beyond reputequattro joe has a reputation beyond reputequattro joe has a reputation beyond reputequattro joe has a reputation beyond reputequattro joe has a reputation beyond reputequattro joe has a reputation beyond repute
1.6L Turbo's WTF

Going to the race just won't be same without the sound of at least 8 cylinders

Old 12-10-2010, 07:44 PM
FIGJAM
hearing those turbos spool & wastegates hiss will make up for it.

Quick Reply: FIA confirms new Formula 1 rules for 2011, 2013