Notices
Pit-Stop Discussion Forum For Racing/Track events, DE/Autocross, Professional Racing Events, Nascar, Formula 1, IndyCar, & More.

Verstappen: Petrov worst driver of year

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 03:11 PM
Teamspeed Member
Murph5000 is just really niceMurph5000 is just really niceMurph5000 is just really niceMurph5000 is just really niceMurph5000 is just really niceMurph5000 is just really niceMurph5000 is just really niceMurph5000 is just really niceMurph5000 is just really niceMurph5000 is just really niceMurph5000 is just really nice
Originally Posted by SpeedLimit?
Best newcomer...Kobayashi
Petrov, can be up there if he's consistent.
Agreed - I loved his pass on Button at the penultimate race last year. He's agressive, fast and has a certain flair in his driving other guys are missing.

Old 12-09-2010, 03:15 PM
Teamspeed Member
Turbogallardo You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Turbogallardo You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Turbogallardo You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Turbogallardo You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Turbogallardo You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Turbogallardo You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Turbogallardo You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Turbogallardo You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Turbogallardo You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Turbogallardo You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Turbogallardo You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
I think that Petrov didn't really set the world on fire but to single him out as the worst is pushing it. Anyway, being the worst F1 driver still isn't that bad.

Jos Verstappen's comments are interesting, coming from a guy whose nickname was Ver-graveltrap-pen

Old 12-09-2010, 03:19 PM
Teamspeed Pro
MexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond repute
I'm not a Verstappen fan, but I think Petrov was disappointing considering the ride he had. I would be surprised to see him become a top five or ten driver. I just don't think he has the consistent speed.

Old 12-09-2010, 03:28 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
GroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Murph5000
I disagree with that assessment as well. I thought he did fairly well for his first season. He wasn't great but it's still his first season - I hope he gets a ride for next season because I think he does have the talent to compete, he just needs to hone his skills.

The most disappointing driver, to me, was Hulkenberg. While he did set pole in Brazil, he lost the position immediately and there was one race (can't remember which track) where he had to drive straight through a chicane for 3 or 4 laps, bitching about his tires but still skipping the entire chicane. Then he would try to fight off and complain about the cars attempting to pass him. He couldn't hold his own - he's supposed to be one of the best young drivers but nothing he did stood out this year as an incredible performance.
I agree with the assessment of Hulkenberg. He can drive, but he doesn't seem to have the stomach for racing in a crowd.

Old 12-09-2010, 03:38 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
He drove much better than Bruno Senna or Chandhok.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:57 PM
Teamspeed Member
Murph5000 is just really niceMurph5000 is just really niceMurph5000 is just really niceMurph5000 is just really niceMurph5000 is just really niceMurph5000 is just really niceMurph5000 is just really niceMurph5000 is just really niceMurph5000 is just really niceMurph5000 is just really niceMurph5000 is just really nice
I will give Chandhok and Senna the benefit of the doubt due to the team they're on. Watching the new teams(Lotus, HRT, Virgin) compared to the likes of McLaren, Ferrari and Renault was like watching two completely different series running at the same time. So, until they get seat time in another car or the team gets up and running I'll reserve my judgement.

Hulkenberg was just so hyped up from his GP2 that I guess I expected more - though with Williams' performance as of the last decade I'm not sure why I thought that. What I didn't like what the commentators here in the US (Machett and Hobbs, etc.) gushing over him then he returned a mediocre performance. Even Vettel had flashes of brilliance in his first races. The chicane-cutting thing really bothered me because he came off as incredibly immature for the level he's competing at. Hopefully, he gets better AND Williams improves but I just didn't see anything great about his performance this year.

Old 12-10-2010, 02:46 PM
Teamspeed Pro
X2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond repute
Petrov didn't defend on Alonso's passes. You simply can NOT pass at Abu Dhabi.

Old 12-10-2010, 02:52 PM
Teamspeed Pro
GrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond repute
Petrov has a lot of potential
with a year of experience and hopefully a better car next yet, I can see him earning some point

Old 12-10-2010, 03:50 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
GroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by X2daC
Petrov didn't defend on Alonso's passes. You simply can NOT pass at Abu Dhabi.
I agree. Petrov kept it together, for sure, but it was the F duct keeping Alonso at bay, not Petrov.